Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
I'm very impressed with my Corsa E, SE, 5 door Auto & so far no problems to report after 4010 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
12K miles on my 1.4T. Fuel economy remains very good and the car is still enjoyable to drive and performance is still impressive. It suffered a few minor faults from new however in last 3 weeks it has suffered several major faults. Overall I still think it is a great car but it seems build quality or component quality is not upto the necessary standard. The growing list of faults is almost 'hendry' levels....

1) S/S completely failed to operate properly and now cuts engine even while moving and while accelerating in gear away from junctions and onto roundabouts. This nearly killed me so it is now disabled.

2) Engine map corrupted, fuelling restriction seems to have unlocked itself, performance increased but economy dropped by 10mpg. This may be related to S/S issues as it happened at same time.

3) Remote central locking stopped working reliably so have to lock car with key.

4) Really bad and very annoying rattle underneath, sounds like exhaust heat shield. Still haven't found the cause. Only rattles loudly when going over bumpy road. Didn't do it before two weeks ago.

5) Air Con doesn't produce very cold air. Struggles to cool car on hot days. Hasn't worked properly since new.

6) Intellink loses radio station presets, has random bizarre temp readings, locks up randomly and DAB is utter crap and often results in either complete silence or constant flickering between FM and DAB making it impossible to listen to the radio. This is on top of it being generally poor anyway and blindingly bright at certain times.

7) drivers seat foam has already started to collapse so is becoming uncomfortable on 2-3 hour commutes to work.

8) Dash instrument needles randomly drop to zero or 'vibrate' while driving on motorway at 60-70mph.

9) Paint wearing thin and covered in scratches on bumper, bonnet leading edge and A pillars.

10) Black film on drivers door starting to peel off.

11) Screen burn/memory effect on intellink screen.

12) Chrome trim bits around fog lights are really lose.

There are several more minor issues but got fed up of typing. Basically car is riddled with electrical gremlins which started at 10K miles and I now avoid driving the Corsa and use one of the classic cars instead as they are more reliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
12K miles on my 1.4T. Fuel economy remains very good and the car is still enjoyable to drive and performance is still impressive. It suffered a few minor faults from new however in last 3 weeks it has suffered several major faults. Overall I still think it is a great car but it seems build quality or component quality is not upto the necessary standard. The growing list of faults is almost 'hendry' levels....

1) S/S completely failed to operate properly and now cuts engine even while moving and while accelerating in gear away from junctions and onto roundabouts. This nearly killed me so it is now disabled.

2) Engine map corrupted, fuelling restriction seems to have unlocked itself, performance increased but economy dropped by 10mpg. This may be related to S/S issues as it happened at same time.

3) Remote central locking stopped working reliably so have to lock car with key.

4) Really bad and very annoying rattle underneath, sounds like exhaust heat shield. Still haven't found the cause. Only rattles loudly when going over bumpy road. Didn't do it before two weeks ago.

5) Air Con doesn't produce very cold air. Struggles to cool car on hot days. Hasn't worked properly since new.

6) Intellink loses radio station presets, has random bizarre temp readings, locks up randomly and DAB is utter crap and often results in either complete silence or constant flickering between FM and DAB making it impossible to listen to the radio. This is on top of it being generally poor anyway and blindingly bright at certain times.

7) drivers seat foam has already started to collapse so is becoming uncomfortable on 2-3 hour commutes to work.

8) Dash instrument needles randomly drop to zero or 'vibrate' while driving on motorway at 60-70mph.

9) Paint wearing thin and covered in scratches on bumper, bonnet leading edge and A pillars.

10) Black film on drivers door starting to peel off.

11) Screen burn/memory effect on intellink screen.

12) Chrome trim bits around fog lights are really lose.

There are several more minor issues but got fed up of typing. Basically car is riddled with electrical gremlins which started at 10K miles and I now avoid driving the Corsa and use one of the classic cars instead as they are more reliable.
Jesus! It must be bad if you have all those faults because you seem much more tolerant than me and don't nitpick, so they must be pretty serious. :shock:

5. Air Con doesn't produce cold air - mines the same but I seldom use AC anyway so havent really noticed.

6. Intellilink issues - starting to get annoyed myself, mine doesn't flock between DAB and FM versions of the same station, I presume because I've turned the DAB to FM linking off before because as you say its annoying it constantly changing meaning you can't listen to the stereo, also DAB gets a poor reception on motorways outwith major towns and cities, and just goes silent with signal lost, although in fairness to Intellilink, the DAB systems on much more expensive Mercs, BMWs and Volvos at work suffer from the same, also my Intellilink will randomly (with the screen off I might add and not powered up) sometimes play a 2 second burst of music.

7. Drivers Seat Foam Collapsing, in what way? I'm not being stupid when I ask that, I'm asking in what way/which part has collapsed? I've already had a new seat height adjuster due to issues with my drivers seat, although I did find out last week for some odd reason all Es come out of the factory with an already sunken part on the foam base, roughly where your right bum cheek is, its the same on the passenger seat.

10. Black door foil trim - my passenger door one is peeling or coming unstuck on the inside of the door where it wraps around the door frame.

12. Front fog light chrome trim loose, noticed this myself earlier when cleaning the car, its like they aren't clipped in correctly, my front bumper is also like this below drivers headlight, and the part of the wing which goes around the small quarter window in front of the front doors is loose.

So seems there are a few common or at the very least not isolate or specific to 1 individual car type faults there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Hendry, quite difficult to describe seat issue. Basically the cushion/seat base doesn't seem to be providing the support it did from new. Feels like something is sticking into my backside towards the edge of the rear half of the cushion. Not sharp, just hard. It is uncomfortable. It wasn't like that from new, seems to have happened after about 8K miles. It is as though the padding has thinned out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
I had the same problem with the chrome fog surrounds and had them replaced, while I was at vx I checked most corsa's on the forecourt and they were the same...the chrome pieces are just held in by clips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
I had the same problem with the chrome fog surrounds and had them replaced, while I was at vx I checked most corsa's on the forecourt and they were the same...the chrome pieces are just held in by clips
Did replacing them fix the issue?

I find with a little of my niggles the dealer is just replacing parts rather than refit the existing ones properly (which I don't understand as its not like the original part is damaged or missing/broken clips or fixings causing the issue)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Yes it fixed the problem the grey plastic that surrounds the chrome was replaced as well as it comes as a unit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
mud4fun said:
12K miles on my 1.4T. Fuel economy remains very good and the car is still enjoyable to drive and performance is still impressive. It suffered a few minor faults from new however in last 3 weeks it has suffered several major faults. Overall I still think it is a great car but it seems build quality or component quality is not upto the necessary standard. The growing list of faults is almost 'hendry' levels....

1) S/S completely failed to operate properly and now cuts engine even while moving and while accelerating in gear away from junctions and onto roundabouts. This nearly killed me so it is now disabled.

2) Engine map corrupted, fuelling restriction seems to have unlocked itself, performance increased but economy dropped by 10mpg. This may be related to S/S issues as it happened at same time.

3) Remote central locking stopped working reliably so have to lock car with key.

4) Really bad and very annoying rattle underneath, sounds like exhaust heat shield. Still haven't found the cause. Only rattles loudly when going over bumpy road. Didn't do it before two weeks ago.

5) Air Con doesn't produce very cold air. Struggles to cool car on hot days. Hasn't worked properly since new.

6) Intellink loses radio station presets, has random bizarre temp readings, locks up randomly and DAB is utter crap and often results in either complete silence or constant flickering between FM and DAB making it impossible to listen to the radio. This is on top of it being generally poor anyway and blindingly bright at certain times.

7) drivers seat foam has already started to collapse so is becoming uncomfortable on 2-3 hour commutes to work.

8) Dash instrument needles randomly drop to zero or 'vibrate' while driving on motorway at 60-70mph.

9) Paint wearing thin and covered in scratches on bumper, bonnet leading edge and A pillars.

10) Black film on drivers door starting to peel off.

11) Screen burn/memory effect on intellink screen.

12) Chrome trim bits around fog lights are really lose.

There are several more minor issues but got fed up of typing. Basically car is riddled with electrical gremlins which started at 10K miles and I now avoid driving the Corsa and use one of the classic cars instead as they are more reliable.
this frightens me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
i think 11) is just the unit not quite off yet. my brand new one seems to have a burn but it goes off after a while. screen burn is a crt problem that should not affect flat screens.
most of the others are surely warranty. do they refuse to fix them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Jarviser said:
i think 11) is just the unit not quite off yet. my brand new one seems to have a burn but it goes off after a while. screen burn is a crt problem that should not affect flat screens.
most of the others are surely warranty. do they refuse to fix them?
You can get screen burn on intellilink, just the term means something different as it is not burnt in but rather a memory effect on the panel. These are really cheap low quality touchscreens using technology that is 20 years old. It is quite obviously burn/memory effect and not the unit still being on as I have disconnected battery and the faded image of Radio 2 remains on!!!! :roll:

Most of the serious faults have happened in the last few weeks and I have had no time to take it to the dealer. I work 60 hours a week and the dealer is an hour away from my home so no chance of getting there and back in a lunch break. It has to wait until I'm on holiday at the end of the month.

I am very reluctant to let a Vauxhall monkey anywhere near the car. We've had a couple of Vauxhall mechanics on this forum and from their comments, attitude and appalling lack of knowledge about basic mechanics or basic technology I'd rather have my 8 year old daughter work on the car.

Most of these issues I can live with. S/S is now disabled every time I get in so no more 'christine' behaviour since, the loose trim I'll fix myself, the rattle I will also fix when I find what the hell it is, the intellilink can't be fixed as it is 'standard feature of the unit' and the whole unit will be replaced with an Alpine HU shortly anyway. The seats will be replaced with some Recaros at some point and I'm certainly not going to complain about the 'unlocked' ECU map as I'm enjoying having a 'free' 20PS upgrade :)

Also remember that all my other vehicles are 30-60 years old, have no electronics, no driver aids, no power steering, have sliding windows and air con is actually vents that open below the windscreen - I have no need for modern gadgets and don't care if none of them work. As long as the Corsa can do my commute to work and back and return 50+mpg then I'm happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Fair enough. Out of interest the Onstar version has its own battery so it can send for the cavalry if the vehicle power is destroyed by an accident. I would not have thought the non-Onstar one has a battery but not impossible I guess.
Worth arranging a home pickup and courtesy car from a decent dealer with that list of problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Good point, it may well have a battery backup for system settings and to keep the system in sleep mode to allow a faster boot up. Didn't think of that. Sorry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Also, if your dealer is anything like mine, the. They may well have a 2-3 week wait for booking your car in, so it could be worth ringing and moaning at them (yes at them :lol:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
My fear is taking it in for them to fix one thing only to break something else! Most things so far are not major issues to me. I know many of you guys would complain about most of the issues I have but I'm more tolerant possibly because if I had a choice I wouldn't have specified them anyway. I only mentioned the problems really so that Hendry didn't feel like he was the only one with issues. Obviously the near fatal failure of S/S is serious and is by far my biggest grievance with the car but as I can turn it off and the car drives better as a bonus I'm not too bothered.

My ideal Corsa would be a 1.4T 3 door 6 speed stripped of all gadgets, electric windows replaced with wind up, manual steering, no central locking, a basic old radio, no A/C, no S/S, no driver aids, no TPMS etc. Probably replace the rear screen and rear side glass with polycarbonate too. Car would weigh 100Kg less so would be quicker and would get even better mpg and would have far less to go wrong :)

Pity they don't offer an 'exclusions' list as well as an options list so I could choose to order a car with everything excluded! ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
My drivers do doesn't align properly with the rest of the chassis - I should probably have got it sorted, but I haven't yet. I forgot to mention it when it was in there before.

Probably should though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
My fear is taking it in for them to fix one thing only to break something else! Most things so far are not major issues to me. I know many of you guys would complain about most of the issues I have but I'm more tolerant possibly because if I had a choice I wouldn't have specified them anyway. I only mentioned the problems really so that Hendry didn't feel like he was the only one with issues. Obviously the near fatal failure of S/S is serious and is by far my biggest grievance with the car but as I can turn it off and the car drives better as a bonus I'm not too bothered.

My ideal Corsa would be a 1.4T 3 door 6 speed stripped of all gadgets, electric windows replaced with wind up, manual steering, no central locking, a basic old radio, no A/C, no S/S, no driver aids, no TPMS etc. Probably replace the rear screen and rear side glass with polycarbonate too. Car would weigh 100Kg less so would be quicker and would get even better mpg and would have far less to go wrong :)

Pity they don't offer an 'exclusions' list as well as an options list so I could choose to order a car with everything excluded! ;-)
Whilst I like my toys, I've always been more of a Ghia than a Popular Plus man :lol: I do agree a 1.4 T with no frills would be pretty cool, almost like a Clio 197 Cup :cool: I'd draw the line at removing the power steering though, maybe they could make it heavier like conventional power steering. After driving my dads car all week I'd totally forgotten just how over light the Corsa steering is when I got in it this morning for the first time in days. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Our daily driver is a long wheelbase land rover with no power steering running on 33" x 12" tyres. Wife and I don't have any issues with the steering on it. Corsa is stupidly light, it is not as enjoyable to drive as it has no weight and no feedback. Much prefer manual steering myself.

Would be interesting to know how much weight you could strip out. :) Would be a nice project - 150PS 1.4T in stripped out 3 door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Just a bit more info about my issues with the car, squeak going over bumps, speed bumps, rough surfaces etc. Had already been in at the dealer I bought the car from. No fault found, it then went back into them last week to get a piece of trim fitted which was on back order. I asked them to check again and again no fault found, they did identify yet another bit of trim needing replaced (drivers door inner trim panel - fits behind the door card itself) so I booked the car in to another branch of the same company for the squeak on Tuesday, they were brilliant and sent a technician on a road test with me and he needs the noise instantly, agreed it was fairly bad and would annoy the hell out of him too, he suspected front suspension are, car was put on a ramp and checked and no issue with the suspension so he went out with the master tech sat in the back of my car and he said it was coming from OSR 1/4 area. They wanted the car for a few days to strip it down and find the fault, they also said the car had had its boot striker adjusted to try and cure a loud rattle audible over the stereo at volume 20. It hasn't fixed the issue so boot panel likely needs replaced. I couldn't leave it with them as it was booked into the dealer I bought the car from to have the drivers door inner trim panel fitted that was also on back order and now in stock. So took it down this morning and they called at 3pm to say they will need to strip it down and remove bits to find the squeak, they can hear it and know roughly where its coming from but can't pinpoint it, they need it for a few days and are going to have it over the weekend. On the plus side they've given me a white 1.4 LE 3 door courtesy car which for a change doesn't have decals all up the side saying courtesy car and advertising the dealership.

I'd like to point out, a lot of the issues ive had and have complained about to the dealers before and have posted up on here, I've now had 4 courtesy cars, 1x black 3 door LE, 2x white 3 door LE and 1x Shiny Rock 5 door SE, and all of them exhibit the issues ive had with my car, for example drivers seat rocking back and forth due to faulty seat height adjuster, loose chrome fog light surrounds, loose drivers seat trim panels, poorly fitted dash shelland so on, so it would seem its largely not my casr itself being a poorly built example rather the E in general has some interior build issues.
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top