Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, as this section of the forum is starting to get busier I thought it wise to add this warning.

When posting about modifications please clarify clearly if those modifications may be illegal in certain circumstance such as removing a catalytic converter on a car used on the road rather than race track or fitting high wattage bulbs, certain window tints etc OR simply refrain from posting about such illegal modifications.

We have many people reading this forum and some may not be aware that such modifications may be illegal.

Also you should all be aware that ANY modification from standard specification must be declared to your insurance company. Failure to do so means you invalidate your insurance and are effectively a uninsured driver. A very serious offense and subject to harsh penalties.

While sill plates and ashtrays may be trivial, modifications such as suspension lowering, non standard wheels, tyres and exhausts very definately do require declaring to insurance company.

Also bare in mind that this forum is public and anything you post may be read, copied and used in evidence against you.

If you suspect your insurance premium will go up to a level you can't afford if you declare the modification then don't do the mod!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good post indeed but well when people mod their car/ a car they should get into the business and realise what's legal and what is not

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i totally agree with Ian on this one. i'm all on favour of modifying, but not to the point where it could become illegal. as stated this is a public Forum so just be careful what you say

·
Registered
356 Posts
I personally believe it is your own responsibility to check if a modification is legal or not before deciding weather or not you are going to do it.

You can not put blame on a user of a forum if you are caught with an illegal modification because you copied them and never bothered to check the legality of the modification.

I do not believe users on here have the qualification to definitively say if a modification is legal or not.

Some mods are quite clear cut but others could be up to the discretion of a police officer or your insurance company if you have an accident.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
joeboy said:
I personally believe it is your own responsibility to check if a modification is legal or not before deciding weather or not you are going to do it.

You can not put blame on a user of a forum if you are caught with an illegal modification because you copied them and never bothered to check the legality of the modification.

I do not believe users on here have the qualification to definitively say if a modification is legal or not.

Some mods are quite clear cut but others could be up to the discretion of a police officer or your insurance company if you have an accident.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.
That is why it clearly says to state if the mod may be illegal. Its fairly easy to tell if something could well be illegal, and if not they should just state that they are unsure of the legality.

·
Registered
356 Posts
LimeyUK said:
That is why it clearly says to state if the mod may be illegal. Its fairly easy to tell if something could well be illegal, and if not they should just state that they are unsure of the legality.
The point I am making is that any modification from standard to a car may be illegal.

For all we know some insurance companies may deem the owners club sticker as a modification that would incur a premium if declared and the failure to do so may cause problems with insurance.

It is your responsibility to check if it is legal or not and to deal with any consequence of your actions.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
joeboy said:
LimeyUK said:
The point I am making is that any modification from standard to a car may be illegal.

For all we know some insurance companies may deem the owners club sticker as a modification that would incur a premium if declared and the failure to do so may cause problems with insurance.

It is your responsibility to check if it is legal or not and to deal with any consequence of your actions.
Well yes, that is basically implied. This post covers the forum mostly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts