Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Had our 1.4 NA Energy A/C for a 3.5 weeks now. Was on 9 miles when we got it and is on about 700 now.

Just thought I would ask here before ringing the dealer to see if we would expect the mpg to be a little low and the oil consumption to be a little high to begin with and if anyone else has seen similar which has then improved?

In the first 2.5 weeks the oil % remaining dropped to 90% but this seems to have slowed as in the last week it's only gone down a further 1% to 89%.

Also the average mpg (had to work this out myself as isn't on the computer on the energy model!) has been around 30mpg which seems a little low. Car is mainly used for town start stop journeys but has had a couple of good long runs on each fill up.

Appreciate any comments :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Re oil consumption the 90% refers to oil life not oil level. it will reach zero towards the end of say a year when you get a service. It should actually consume very little. I have never had to top up any of my Vauxhalls between services this century.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
fuel consumption varys greatly. all town trips to the shops could well give 30 mpg. All motorway commutes you can achieve twice that. it will improve after about 2000 miles but it's driving conditions that make a big difference. we all use the same or similar engine map software to squirt the fuel in so faulty car is less likely imho.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've never had to top up oil in any of the modern cars I've had. For all I know I could have had zero oil life in any one of those and never known!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
its like when old cars had an oil gauge. just one more thing to worry about.

I still maintain the oil life "calculator" is not a lubricity anslyser but an approximaton to make us buy oil too soon, or to give them some credence, so we don't skip the service. if they added a decimal place we would trust them 10 times as much.
B.S.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
30mpg will be about right for stop start use in town on a new engine. It will improve slightly after 2-3K miles but the best you'll ever get on a 1.4 in such conditions is 45mpg and that will be driving like you have a fresh egg between your foot and the loud pedal.

Oil life in my experience is very accurate. Mine is now at 27% after 14.5K miles / 9 months ownership. So on target to hit 0% at 20K miles/12 months. That is 70% A road/motorway driving and 30% rural roads and in town use. I drive carefully and smoothly (generally), rarely exceed 2500rpm, never labour engine and most of the time I cruise at 60mph / 1800rpm in 6th gear. Most of my mileage is on long commutes on warm engine. Engine only started from cold approx 6 times per week. I have also disabled S/S as it is dangerous and kills battery, starter motor and oil life.

Very short journeys (<5 mile) on cold engine in traffic and lots of stop starts will put alot of stress on an engine. Its oil will be required to work much harder and will deteriate much faster so oil life indicator is correct. When we use our car in town oil life drops like a stone.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Mud4fun. sorry to be a bore but without having the oil analysed in a tribology lab there is no way of knowing how accurate their display is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok cool,

Thanks for the information guys. I won't worry about it too much for now and I'll tell the other half to try and remember to change gear more often lol.

I've got a 1.6 NA astra about 5 years old and average mpg is 35-38 so i was expecting a little better from a 1.4 smaller car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We're getting a constant 44mpg from the 1.4 na, all mileage being max 7mile trips and shorter with an average speed of 21mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm, maybe I should be concerned then, how many miles have you done ChrisB?

·
Registered
227 Posts
About 2350miles, it's my wife's car actually, but we both drive it and get the same mileage...just one thing tho, we never trash it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok cool thanks, yeh same situation for me! I reckon she does when I'm not in it lol. I'll wait til were closer to the 2k mark before working it out again (so annoying the energy doesn't have it on the trip computer!)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Jarviser said:
Mud4fun. sorry to be a bore but without having the oil analysed in a tribology lab there is no way of knowing how accurate their display is.
Nonsense. (well sort of ;-) )

A simple algorithm is all that is needed.

The ECU knows exactly how many hours the engine has done, what revs it has done, the oil and water temps over the miles driven, oil pressure, the number of cold starts, the number of warm starts, the amount of time the clutch has been depressed and the electrical load. More than enough to give a reasonably accurate oil life.

Far more accurate than simply changing oil at a set distance or time.

If you think that by licking your finger and sticking it in the air you can say your oil life estimate is more accurate than the ECU then good for you, most of us don't have that skill so go on the indicator which in my experience is perfectly good.

I see no evidence that VX is scamming us. How could that be anyway, my oil life will last 20K miles, I would want to change oil then anyway regardless of what oil life was left. Most cars require oil changes before 20K so why do you believe VX is scamming you? If an engine is treated harshly with constant short trips from cold or sitting in traffic then you need much more regular oil changes than an engine that does mostly motorway work at a sensible speed.

I just don't understand your issue with this? I swap oil in my classic cars every 3K miles because £20 of oil is cheaper than £800 engine rebuild from using dirty oil or oil that has no lubricity. They are used for mostly short sub 5 mile trips into town. Seems perfectly acceptable to me and I would do this even if I had an oil life indicator and it still showed 50% life left. Experience of building engines over 30 years shows me the value of regular oil changes even on modern engines, especially on turbo cars.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Similarly I see no evidence that the ecu is collecting that data unless you can show the program spec of the ecu that proves your point. Extrapolating back from a single output is unwise scientifically.

Blind faith in GM left me last century.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Loads of evidence! Almost every post about poor oil life states that the car is used in town doing very short stop start trips from cold. One case on facebook of a girl that only did stupidly short journeys in town, eg. drove 1 mile to her work each morning and had to change oil after something like 4K miles/6 months when her oil life had hit 9%

If the oil life is a simple countdown based on time or distance how can mine still be showing 27% after 14K miles, 9 months? Loads of people on here have varying oil life % and we looked in detail at this a few months ago and there was no obvious time or distance pattern to oil life % implying quite strongly that it is based on additional inputs from ECU.

How many inputs is up to debate though, could just be engine hours. Cars sat in traffic jams for 100 miles will have same engine hours as a car driven on clear motorway for 1000 miles?

Actually engine hours is one highly likely input. I remember when this came up before that it was mostly town drivers suffering big drops, those doing mostly motorway had similarly low rate of drop. Seems a more accurate way of working it out than time and distance. Most plant and some aspects of HGV servicing is 'hours run' based rather than time or distance.

·
Registered
895 Posts
mud4fun said:
Loads of evidence! Almost every post about poor oil life states that the car is used in town doing very short stop start trips from cold. One case on facebook of a girl that only did stupidly short journeys in town, eg. drove 1 mile to her work each morning and had to change oil after something like 4K miles/6 months when her oil life had hit 9%

If the oil life is a simple countdown based on time or distance how can mine still be showing 27% after 14K miles, 9 months? Loads of people on here have varying oil life % and we looked in detail at this a few months ago and there was no obvious time or distance pattern to oil life % implying quite strongly that it is based on additional inputs from ECU.

How many inputs is up to debate though, could just be engine hours. Cars sat in traffic jams for 100 miles will have same engine hours as a car driven on clear motorway for 1000 miles?
Hi Ian my oil life is at 20% now after 10 months & 5326 miles so on track for service in Feb 2016. I only do short urban journeys ??

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Thanks Derek :)

Shame we can't see engine hours on the display. I have a feeling that may be more inline with the oil life % than mileage or months since last service/reg date. Might give us a clue as to what the system is using to calculate oil life.

I would estimate mine at 280 hours, so will have done 400 hours by time oil life gets to zero. Any idea of your engine hours?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Engine hours I can believe. Even more likely, total engine revolutions. It's what marine engines or diggers often employ, It would show a higher count for the low gear usage.

BTW a simple count down would show 25% remaining at 9 months which is not far off 27%.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Jarviser said:
BTW a simple count down would show 25% remaining at 9 months which is not far off 27%.
Nah, my oil life drops very quick on weeks when I'm on annual leave and not doing my usual long motorway commute but is instead used mostly in town and typically drops 3% oil life per week for only 100 or so miles driven. On weeks when I'm at work it drops only 1% per week for 300 miles driven. So in my case the oil life can't possibly be related to time or distance.

Agreed rpm could be a factor. I have the 6 speed box and about 70% of my mileage is in 6th gear at approx 1800 rpm. The way I drive means even on rural winding roads, a roads, clear empty roads and motorways I'll rarely exceed 2K rpm as that is nearly 70mph in my car. Most of time at between 1600-1800rpm. The 1.4T has a narrow power band and all its 200Nm of torque comes in low down the rev range so no need to rev high.

Does this suggest people getting low oil life are revving their engine too much? Can't be a 5 speed problem because I've seen posts from 1.4T 6 speed LE owners (same as mine) with plummeting oil life.

Curious.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think I might be the only poster on this forum whos had to have their car serviced and I use my car mainly in 10mile journeys in heavy rush hour traffic each morning and evening and for a couple of months was driving the car hard (not thrashing it but I was going somewhere most nights that would involve getting from 0-60 as quick as possible up a motorway slip road with traffic lights at the bottom. After a few miles taking a slip road onto a roundabout with a dual carriageway leading off it which due to the layout you almost always has to come to a complete stop at the roundabout then get back upto 60 on the dual carriageway then after another few miles same again, then after another few miles again get back up to 50mph from standing start at a roundabout for a backroad with an nsl on it, all told about 20 miles and then the same back again) and oil life dropped like a stone, my oil life had diminished very quickly with my regular work commute but that on top just made it plummet. Now even despite that I got over 10,000 miles before it went to 0% oil life, that used to be up until recently the service interval on most cars anyway so the oil life display isnt out to scam us, Infact had my oil life not been at 0% at 10,000 miles id likely have got the car serviced anyway because I believe 10,000 miles is more than enough miles covered on the one quantity of oil. So if people are getting more than that before hitting 0% then I don't see how its a scam.

Also as mud4fun says I'd rather spend £10 on a new filter and £50 on a gallon of oil than ruin a brand new engine and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts