Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people have asked if their mpg will improve with time so I thought I'd share this graph from my fuelly page which clearly shows the improvement since new.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

In March (first few hundred miles after I got car) it averaged 48mpg
In April it averaged 50mpg
In May it averaged 52mpg
In June it has averaged 54mpg so far.

Car has now 5500 miles over 12 weeks (460 miles/week). As I do a higher annual mileage than most I have seen the improvement in mpg over a much shorter time. My Corsa does pretty much the exact same journeys, over the exact same roads at the exact same times of day so there is not much that would explain the steady and clear improvement other than the engine loosening up?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joeboy said:
Hotter weather making a difference?
ROFL, which country are you living in??? We had to re-light our Rayburn last week because temperatures got so low. Wife was worried sick because all her vegetable seedlings are now out in the garden and it got down to just +2c here overnight last week. It was warmer back in April.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In march and April when I got my corsa there were mornings I had to scrape ice off the windscreen.

I also had to use the heated front and rear screens in the mornings.

You asked a question and I was simply making a suggestion as to why you may be receiving better mpg.

Also the fact that you are now getting used to driving the car and know how to drive it economically during certain parts of your commute may also be making a difference.

The number of factors that go into and effect your mpg is staggering.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks joeboy. Apologies, it was said in jest not that seriously, sorry for confusion. :)

Although for us it was actually warmer a month ago as we let the rayburn go out as house was getting too warm. Now much colder. House has no heating when rayburn is out so gradually loses heat if the daytime temps remain low.

You are quite right, many factors but the figures and improvements are way too consistent to be be weather I feel. A 2mpg rise each month for 4 months.

Also I have always driven economically, you will see in my fuelly garage a Mazda pickup with 600+ fuel ups on it, many of them better than the manufacturer official figure over 10 years.

I do the same motorway commute at the same time of day at the same speed. There is not much I can do to affect the figures to be honest as I use cruise control for 80% of the 260 mile round trip and have done since new.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is one factor that may affect things though, I do drive very early in the morning (4am) or late into the evening. This means that in winter I have all my lights on for the whole journey whereas in summer the lights are only on for 40-50% of the time. As having all the lights on causes a drop in mpg that could explain away the rise, other than the fact that most of my recent commutes have been done in rain so still needed the lights on even though it was daylight. If the mpg drops towards the end of the year in similar steps then it will confirm it as the extra load on the engine to power the lights.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good to see your giving the Corsa a good real life testing !! very interesting reading pal..

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you stevewolves :)

Will be at 20K miles by end of year at this rate :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine has definitely improved since i've had it from new. I used to average 55mpg on my round trips to work, now it does 60 easily.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've seen my average mpg increase aloy over the last 500 miles. Got 1500 on the clock and pulling 50mpg on combined 30 a day runs to work and back its a bit of running around at weekends. Much better than the sub 30 I was getting from my 307. Also started to use fuelly for the wife's 15 year old 1.4 polo just to see the difference. It's still only got 34k in the clock so should be pulling 35 ish

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, our in town mpg has steadily improved too. I was nearly at the point of banning my wife from driving into town as she was only getting low 40's which then destroyed my whole tank avetage despite me getting 60mpg on my commute. Thankfully last week my wife did 110 miles of short shopping trips to town and averaged 46mpg on that. Whole life average now creeping up, just under 52mpg average over 5800 miles. 20% town/city traffic, 30% rural roads, 50% motorway. Aiming for closer to 60mpg average by next year. :)

PS. That is great mpg Klesmy, you are catching me up! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts