Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i received my exite 1,4 auto in late march and since then I've recorded my MPG and I've got a milage of around 8300 and average mpg of 26MPG!!!!!!!! i mean theres a lot of traffic here where i live but is this even right? i put about £20 petrol in every day... my fathers 2.4 Volvo s80 gets 25 mpg!

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is shocking! do you get to take the car out for a run every so often? It could be that you are not going far enough for the engine to get up to normal operating temperature so will use more fuel, but autos nearly always use more fuel than manuals.

·
Registered
895 Posts
hirbod1375 said:
So i received my exite 1,4 auto in late march and since then I've recorded my MPG and I've got a milage of around 8300 and average mpg of 26MPG!!!!!!!! i mean theres a lot of traffic here where i live but is this even right? i put about £20 petrol in every day... my fathers 2.4 Volvo s80 gets 25 mpg!
Hi hirbod1375, has your Excite 1.4 got the Easytronic Auto Gearbox ?

I have the SE 1.4 Automatic & worst I have recorded is 31.2mpg & normally average around 33mpg which I believe is about normal for general town & Urban short journeys I do? I had similar mpg with previous Corsa D Automatics I have had. Therefore 26mpg does appear to be very low?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
8300 miles since March? That is even more than me (5500 miles since March) so I doubt it is made up of very short journeys! Would be nigh on impossible to do that high mileage in sub 3 mile trips with the engine cold.

I would suggest driving style must be partly to blame? hard acceleration and subsequent heavy braking will cripple economy, are you looking ahead and allowing the car to slow gradually off throttle rather than braking late? Allowing big gaps to car in front so you can maintain part throttle gliding? Keep revs low by using appropriate gear for speed etc, etc. These things all add up and can make a vast difference to mpg between different drivers even in the same vehicle. I average about 5-10mpg higher mpg than my wife in our Corsa in like for like conditions.

Even in heavy town traffic or tens of miles of stop/start traffic jams my 1.4 turbo still averages 35mpg+, in normal town or city traffic it averages 45mpg. Autos are notoriously bad though. If mpg is a primary concern then avoid an auto unless you have a disability that requires it. Less than 30mpg is shockingly bad! :-(

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess here that it's partly down to how the auto drives, if our 1.4 auto Corsa DS at work are anything to go by, they are shocking to drive, you have to kick the arse out of them to get anywhere, because all they do is rev and not actually pick up much speed, take ages to change up so the revs are unnecessarily high for ages, and even at that, once they are up to speed in the highest gear for that speed they are still at very revs.

My 1.4 petrol manual is starting to even out mpg wise, the trip 1 was showing a 39mpg average over total distance covered since I got it, but the trip 2 which I reset each time I fuel up was showing 43mpg for each time, couldn't figure out how if I was getting 43mpg on every fuel up, the total average wasn't 43 too, now done 1800 miles, my trip one is showing that over that 1800 miles I've got 42mpg, and since my last fill up I've done 275 miles and also averaging 42mpg.

Really impressed tbh as that is all town centre and congested motorway driving 10 miles each way every day to work and back, my 1.2 Clio couldn't beat 35mpg on the same route. In fact it only did 44mpg on a 800mile round trip to Yarmouth and back once at a constant 70mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TBH i started driving my fathers volvo s80 2.4D and I've managed to get a satisfying 30-35 MPG where as now I'm getting just below 20 mpg on my crosa. not sure why

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
I've had my 1.4 T since may and millage is just over 1400 and average mpg is 28-29 mpg
:eek: :shock: :?

How? Even if I seriously thrash mine on a really short trip the local shop 1.5 miles away on a cold engine it still gets 40+mpg. Where are you getting your mpg figure from? Either your mpg figure is wrong or your engine has a serious problem!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think its my engine, some times the kick down gets the car flying through the motorway and i literary get 3mpg then and when you hover on the throttle to keep speed around 70 mph i get maximum of 30 MPG and at 40 MPH i get around 40 MPG . setting off at lights around 11MPG if you set off very careful on throttle

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
That is not right. You need to take it back to the dealer.

At a steady 70mph on the motorway mine shows approx 55-60mpg on the instant readout.

However ignore the instant readout for working out mpg. You need to fill the tank and reset your trip to zero. Then drive until you are nearly empty and look at your overall average on the trip. OR use fuelly.com to log your fill ups.

Also be aware that the onboard trip computer mpg figures are often higher than actual so yours may be even worse than you think which certainly suggests an engine fault which you need to get sorted ASAP before it destroys your cat which will cost you £800 for a new one!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm only doing very short journeys on a cold engine it's 2 miles to work so engine not warmed up properly and all my driving is town driving lots of stop starts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mud4fun said:
That is not right. You need to take it back to the dealer.

At a steady 70mph on the motorway mine shows approx 55-60mpg on the instant readout.

However ignore the instant readout for working out mpg. You need to fill the tank and reset your trip to zero. Then drive until you are nearly empty and look at your overall average on the trip. OR use fuelly.com to log your fill ups.

Also be aware that the onboard trip computer mpg figures are often higher than actual so yours may be even worse than you think which certainly suggests an engine fault which you need to get sorted ASAP before it destroys your cat which will cost you £800 for a new one!
you wont believe if i was to tell you i have already spent about £80 per week for about 600 miles. and also I'm gonna check it out for sure.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm generally getting 500 miles to the red light from full so roughly 500 miles for every £40 of unleaded or thereabouts.

However mine is mostly motorway, A road and rural lanes. In town use it drops to the equivalent of 400 miles per tank or 400 miles per £40 of fuel.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
On pure motorway driving I get alot better mpg, 60-65mpg as long as I don't go stupidly fast, tend to cruise at 60mph for maximum economy. At that speed I can get 600 miles to a tank.

You use about 25% more fuel going at 70mph than at 60mph and as much as 40% more at 80mph. The Corsa is a tall short car which means it is not very aerodynamic. It is designed mainly for urban use. You need to keep speed down on motorway or face crippling mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tbh thats true, on a roads i tent to keep it at 40 mph since its the lowest speed that the cars capable of in 6th gear. but still, need to go to the dealers haha, its so cosy to run that i had to get a fiesta ecoboost for most of my journeys, the iceboats gives me around 45MPG if I'm careful and 36 of i go heavy on the throttle haha

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
hirbod1375 said:
, its so costly to run that i had to get a fiesta ecoboost for most of my journeys
Odd thing is that I did a long test drive (2000 miles) in a borrowed 3cyl Ford Fiesta and I found the economy was dire and nowhere near official figure and yet my Corsa gets very close to its official figure.

I guess different cars suit different driving styles and for you the Fiesta works better where for me the Corsa works better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.