Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've just placed an order for a new 1.4 Excite a/c model in White. It's a surprise present for my fiancée (don't tell her!)

I test drove a few different cars before opting for the corsa, ie 208, Clio etc. But I settled on the corsa due to price, standard kit, looks and how comfortable the car was to drive. The suspension soaked up the bumps and the cabin was fairly quiet with not much wind noise. Also the car felt solid and not flimsy if you know what I mean.

I opted for the 1.4 instead of the 1.2 ( lesser of two evils). Strangley the 1.2 has higher fuel consumption and higher tax, so the 1.4 was a bit of a no brainer for an extra couple of hundred quid. I did prefer the 1.0t engine, but it cost and extra £1500, so couldn't justify the extra cost. But as the Mrs mainly only uses it round town, then hopefully the 1.4 would surfice. Also I'm thinking as it hasn't got a turbo strapped too it, one less think to go wrong.

Anyway, nice to be on the forum and I'll keep you all updated to let you know when it arrives. I'm going to do the normal cliché and tie some pink rippons around it............

·
Registered
961 Posts
Your missus is a very lucky girl!

And re the 1.4, that's why I went for the 1.4 over the 1.2, more power, better mpg and cheaper tax, mine is fine round town, just nippy enough for scooting about the city.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Nice!

The 1.2 is a pointless engine. My dealer actually told me this - stating that they dont really know why they bother selling it!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Nice!

The 1.2 is a pointless engine. My dealer actually told me this - stating that they dont really know why they bother selling it!
It is for young drivers, it has low insurance group so can make the difference between them being able to afford a new Corsa or not. Vauxhall are not stupid, a very large % of sales go to young and recently qualified drivers. If they are only driving a few miles a day in urban conditions the 1.2 is perfectly adequate. As an old git I'm fortunate to have cheap insurance so can afford the 1.4T and wouldn't dream of considering the 1.2 anyway given the annual mileage I do ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you put it like that, the 1.2 may make sense for new/young drivers. I'm 29 with 11 years NCB, but I remember my first car cost me £1600 to insure and the car wasn't even worth that!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The speed of the 1.4 standard isn't far off the 1.2, their ins groups are close - think they're only one group apart, or not far off. The 1.4 turbo is obviously further down.

The vauxhall saleswoman genuinely told me that its a bad engine, and wouldn't recommend it :lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congratulations! And your fiancee is one lucky lady. Good choice of car, I am enjoying mine a lot and its lovely to drive. 1.4 engine makes so much more sense then the 1.2 for the price difference and as you say, £30 tax.

I brought my ex-wife a Vauxhall Meriva with VXR kit, 40000 miles for £4600 and she decided to leave a month later and took it with her. We are now divorced. Make sure you put the car in your name ;) :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
LimeyUK said:
Nice!

It is for young drivers, it has low insurance group so can make the difference between them being able to afford a new Corsa or not. Vauxhall are not stupid, a very large % of sales go to young and recently qualified drivers. If they are only driving a few miles a day in urban conditions the 1.2 is perfectly adequate. As an old git I'm fortunate to have cheap insurance so can afford the 1.4T and wouldn't dream of considering the 1.2 anyway given the annual mileage I do ;-)
There is only a £345 list price difference between 1.2 and 1.4 in most specs, the insurance is minimal as I looked into the cost of insurance, running costs etc when I was choosing between 1.2 and 1.4 SRi, much better performance, better mpg, and in the case of the Sting,Excite and SRi with the 1.4Ecoflex the tax is £30 a year compared with £110 for the 1.2, for some reason the 1.4 n/a Limited Edition isn't Ecoflex so its in the more expensive tax bracket due to 121 g/km co2 compared with the Ecoflex 119 g/km and then there's the fact it will have a higher resale value than a 1.2 so the extra cost of a 1.4 over a 1.2 will be gained back in tax and mpg savings and then will be worth more when you get rid so you'll actually end up being very slightly up money in the long run buying the 1.4, not to mention you won't have a car that's too heavy and underpowered and be frustrated with it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I had a 58 plate 1.2 and it was really slow! Not sure why I bought it looking back, but I liked it at the time! I went from that into my 1.2tsi Ibiza and it's fab! Now looking to go back to Vx now they are fitting these small turbo engines - I need a heated steering wheel that you can't seem to get on anything that doesn't cost nearly as much as we paid for our house 18 years ago! :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In all the cars i've owned, i've never got frost bite from the steering wheel :lol:

I'm not sold on the whole heated steering wheel thing, but heated front screen and seats make much more sense.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
kickassmc2000 said:
In all the cars i've owned, i've never got frost bite from the steering wheel :lol:

I'm not sold on the whole heated steering wheel thing, but heated front screen and seats make much more sense.
I'm sure you'll find it handy in the winter :p I know plenty of times when a heated steering wheel would have came in handy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.