Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again, I'm looking at changing my back box and exhaust and was wondering if this will void my warranty, I am also paying for a yearly service plan with Vauxhall will this void that to ?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The service plan can't be voided - it's for services.

Not sure about warranty regarding the backbox/exhaust though - but i wouldn't have thought so. Ring your dealer and see what they say. Only they can tell you.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'd imagine it will void the warranty on all exhaust related parts but every other aspect will still be covered.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Exhausts arent covered on warranty are they?
But if you burn out the exhaust valves by unbalancing the exhaust system they are not obliged to cover that.
(Yes, pretty unlikely, just making this up, but consider the legal point for modifications)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vauxhall just emailed me this :

Thank you for your email received on 28 July 2015, regarding your Vauxhall Corsa.

I can confirm the Manufacturer's Warranty will still be valid on your vehicle during the warranty period. If you fit an aftermarket exhaust system to your vehicle, Vauxhall will not be responsible for the warranty of that repair or any consequential damage.

What does this mean

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fsamp said:
Vauxhall just emailed me this :

Thank you for your email received on 28 July 2015, regarding your Vauxhall Corsa.

I can confirm the Manufacturer's Warranty will still be valid on your vehicle during the warranty period. If you fit an aftermarket exhaust system to your vehicle, Vauxhall will not be responsible for the warranty of that repair or any consequential damage.

What does this mean
It means exactly what it says.

Vauxhall will not cover the aftermarket exhaust should any problems arise with it or any consequential damage to the car from the installation of the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
For example fitting a free flow exhaust reduces back pressure which actually not only reduces torque at low rpm but also affects the efficiency of the engine and can lead to worse fuel economy, increased emissions and potential damage to engine. These engines are designed to operate within very fine tolerances and the scavenging of exhaust gases after combustion is partly controlled by exhaust flow and back pressure. There are always consequences to deviating from the manufacturer exhaust.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
anthony said:
so would that be the same with fitting say a Remus back box with a VX part number
and K&N air filter
Not sure Anthony.

The K&N won't make a jot of difference to performance on a stock normally aspirated engine compared to a clean stock filter anyway. However it doesn't filter as well so could allow debris into the engine which will get into the oil (down the piston sides) and destroy the bearing shells. If you have a K&N fitted and you suffer damage to bearings or anything else that could be attributed to ingress of dirt via the poor filtration of the K&N filter then VX would be within their rights to refuse a warranty claim.

Same for Remus back box. Even if a genuine part it won't provide any more power over the stock exhaust and on a normally aspirated would almost certainly result in less torque at low rpm with a resulting drop in mpg in normal use. Those free flow exhausts are really only useful on tuned engines that are regularly revved high (say >5K rpm) which is where the stock exhaust will strangle gas flow. However as the engine in those cases has been tuned then the warranty will be void anyway so no need to worry about the exhaust voiding the warranty.

In reality the chance of either damaging the engine will be slim. It is down to individual decision whether to run the risk. I've seriously modified (including complete strip and rebuilds) lots of my engines in the past but they have all been in vehicles that I could fix myself and had no electronics on them. I'm far less inclined to make any changes to the stock setup on Dafny during the warranty period. If I don't buy the VXR then I'll no doubt get Dafny re-mapped and fit new intercooler and exhausts etc but that will be a year or so down the line where most of the warranty period has already expired.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Fsamp said:
Thanks for your help mate Defo not gonna do it
You seem like you know your stuff lol
I don't know much about these modern Vauxhall engines TBH however I've been rebuilding engines for 25 years and many of those I've had on rolling roads to monitor performance gains etc. Larger bore, free flow exhausts and aftermarket air filters CAN gain you power but only at higher revs and often only in conjunction with tuning, remaps etc which allow for changes in fuelling to suit the additional breathing. Even so the gains are not normally more than 10% and that is peak.

For normal driving where you rarely go above 4K rpm they have little effect other than introducing extra noise. K&N (or similar) filters often cause excessive induction roar, especially where the stock panel filter housing has been replaced with a cone. Obviously some people like the noise made by the different filters and exhausts. It sounds like you have more power even if you don't ;-) I find them tiresome after a while though, especially on a long drive.

I have personally witnessed a rolling road test where the factory air filter was removed entirely for a few minutes (so no restriction at all) and the power gains were so marginal that they could not be measured on the dyno. Naturally if you replace a clogged old factory filter with a brand new K&N then obviously you'll get gains but you won't get any more than you would be just putting on a new OEM paper filter! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts