·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I haven't seen that many LE's at all, the majority of E's that I've seen have been without the bodykit, mostly stings and excites.

I've not seen that many Adams either. They seem far too expensive for their size and I'm not sure of the point of them. The Corsa is bigger and cheaper.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yes, I haven't seen that many LE's at all, the majority of E's that I've seen have been without the bodykit, mostly stings and excites.

I've not seen that many Adams either. They seem far too expensive for their size and I'm not sure of the point of them. The Corsa is bigger and cheaper.
There's loads of Adams around the west of Scotland, mainly driven by women, they are the sort of niche car bought by folk for whom a car is an accessory, by that I mean cars like Minis, Beetles and 500s, they are expensive, designed to be a kinda status symbol, and the sort which come with loads of personalised stuff, but yet better, IMO nicer styled, better equipped cars with more space are available, for the price of a Beetle you could have a Polo/Golf the same price or cheaper, 1 series BM (dislike them too) for same price as a Mini, and the 500 is basically a Panda but lots more expensive.

Only thing I like about the Adam is the amount of a stuff you can get for them, I like modding my car cos I like it to stand out and be different from all the standard examples, but don't much like aftermarket parts and so on and inevitably someone somewhere will have the same things, the amount you can choose between means no 2 Adams even built side by side in the factory in the same trim and colour will ever be the same as you can choose different roof linings, fascia colours, even interior mirror housings to your own preferences.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I can understand people paying a premium for a BMW, Audi or even VW but the Adam is a Vauxhall and that is all that most people will see. Vauxhall is not associated with premium. I love my Corsa but I bought it for other more practical reasons such as value for money, economy and I am not one to buy 'off the shelf' uniqueness or status. I can't imagine why you'd pay premium brand prices for a VX.

I understand the originality thing though :) My own Land Rover has hundreds of modifications done by me that make mine unique in the world. Apart from the fact it has been completely stripped, repaired and rebuilt by me down to every last nut and bolt it also has personal touches such as the hand polished alloy rocker covers and painted recesses, the high performance engine, homemade dashboard, individually detailed mechanical parts, the one of a kind custom mixed body colour (WW2 cockpit green) sprayed on by me, the Lincolnshire flag on the bonnet painted by me and I even made my own unique leather covered door cards and coloured MDF speaker mounts for my Infinity 6x9's. Truly unique and is a genuine classic too not a retro looking modern fake like the Fiat 500.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I even took all the dash instruments apart and not only added brighter modern backlighting I colour coded the surrounds in red to match the other red touches elsewhere, probably the only smiths gauges in the world that look like this :) The dash itself is also normally black and that was colour coded to match the vehicle too...

Motor vehicle Gauge Speedometer Tachometer Measuring instrument

Then had to cut and shut the bulkhead to fit the pedal box from a brand new defender to my 1960 vehicle so I could have modern servo assisted brakes, colour coded the brake servo too!

Gas Motor vehicle Engineering Machine Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
That looks pretty cool but I don't imagine they are the most refined or comfortable to drive things? (I realise that's not what they we're intended for nor does it make much difference but wouldn't make an ideal daily drive for the rush hour commute etc)

Defenders are possibly the only "modern" (as in still in production) Land Rover I like, the rest are all blingy Chelsea tractors.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They aren't as bad as you'd think. My wife uses hers daily (the blue one in the pic above) and that does about 6K miles a year. When mine is finished it will be used daily too. It depends what you are used too and your driving skills. These old vehicles require lots of skill and experience to drive safely in modern road conditions.

Mind you mine is fitted with lifted suspension that is also softer than original, it has 150hp turbo intercooled diesel which makes it very quick as my Land Rover only weighs 1400Kg, just about the same as a Corsa yet it has very low gearing and stacks of low down torque meaning acceleration is far quicker than a 1.4T Corsa. I have fitted huge power assisted brakes too so it stops well.

It will also have lots of soundproofing, carpet, a great sound system and it has brand new defender seats fitted too :)

I love them and have owned them since I was 18 years old. The lack of refinement and lack of modern driver aids actually makes them far more fun to drive than modern cars!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hendry, my last Land Rover was a Defender 90 fitted with a 4.6 litre 240hp V8 and that was quicker to 60 than the new Corsa VXR so they aren't all slow either, it just takes a huge amount of skill and concentration to keep it clean side up with that much power! (and it wouldn't go around bends very well....)

This was my defender towards the end of a complete rebuild after years of off road abuse.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

It was quite tall as can be seen by the way it makes the Audi A4 look tiny :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
craig5e said:
Driving school /hire cars /company cars is my guess!
Quite funny you should say that, went out first thing this morning and first Corsa I saw was an emerald green E driving school car! :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LeachiE said:
Was the emerald green nice in the flesh?
It was very dark in colour, I didn't realise it was green until it went past the front of me and the sparkly green showed up in the sunlight. From a distance it looked black. I honestly don't think the dark colours show off the Corsa shape as much as the lighter colours. In my opinion the curvy sexy shape, especially in 3 door form needs a bright colour.

This was a 5 door too so looked even less attractive than the 3 door. I've actually seen lots of 5 doors now and really not keen on them, they look a bit too bland for my tastes whereas the 3 door Corsa is very distinctive and attractive, almost coupe like. Ours is a family car and we have to carry the kids so the 5 door would be the obvious choice but my wife and I much prefer the looks of the 3 door.

After seeing several darker colour E's up close now I'm so glad I opted for the limelight green (primrose yellow). Also lots of the VW Polos and Fiestas I see have been dark metallic colours (or black and white) so the bright and cheery coloured Corsas stand out from the crowd. You can't miss Dafny in Tesco supermarket car park amidst a sea of boring black, silver and greys. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.