Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My wife and I are taking delivery of a new Corsa 1.4 ecoflex Energy a/c 3 door in Shiny Rock on Friday, and I wanted to share my 'story' of buying/ reason for buying the Corsa and my thoughts on the whole experience, and the deal we got, which I think was remarkably good.

Firstly, I need to point out, that although I am enthusiastic of cars in general and still enjoy the experience of changing cars (I've always owned a 'nice' car for use at the weekend); when we decided to change the car I felt initially, it was a bitter/sweet decision, as the new Corsa will replace our 2004 Alfa Romeo 147 which my wife uses during the week, but which was fun to drive at the weekend. It has all the toys inside and extremely comfortable and frankly, a welcome change from driving my extremely spartan workhorse I use for work through the week, a 2 year old 63 plate Corsa S 1.3 ecoflex s/s with absolutely no frills inside, but a car thats being dependable and reliable.

The reason we decided to part company with the Alfa was financial: immediate work needed to be done on it (nothing major, a service, pads, odd tyre) and it was due its road tax; and following appraising how much it was costing us to run, the decision was made that we might want to change it rather than more outlay on a 11 year old car. The Alfa has a hefty £265 road tax per year (I absolutely hate giving anymore money than I need to, to the Govt!) and in 18 months time, in 2017, it will inevitably cost much more to tax due to the chancellors decision to significantly punish anyone driving a car with high emissions. Factoring in the cost of buying it £900; and maintaining it; and minus its current value around £500- £700; I was surprised that over the 28 months of ownership, the Alfa averaged out at £110 a month, after adding back in its current value. Also, the Alfa only achieves 30mpg. All in all, our weekend car/ my wife's runabout was costing a lot of money; given that we only cover 6,000 miles a year in it.

So, the quest was on to find a fuel efficient, cheap to tax and fun to drive car for around the same price per month as the Alfa. I was very surprised that following lengthy research on finance deals/ searching Autotrader and visiting car dealerships, that the answer to our search was to end up with a new car! and even more surprised that we ended up with another Corsa!!!! and I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement Vauxhall have made on the new model Corsa against the 63 plate workhorse I drive day to day!

Ok, my thoughts on the new Corsa we bought following our test drive. Firstly, the Corsa keeps its familiarity, in terms of size, but the new shape looks in my opinion, so much better. Its steering, ride and handling appeared much improved; it was surprisingly quiet and performed well in terms of accelerating and braking. I was very impressed, and it, it felt fun to drive and nice and quiet. The selling point however, was the spec on the inside, fantastic looking facia, well laid out and good quality. It has all the toys the Alfa has got plus more, mightily impressed with DAB radio (I listen to 5 live in crankily, whiney medium wave currently) and on the bitterly cold frosty day we test drove, heated seats and steering wheel are clearly an added luxury. I am also impressed with the heated front screen, had one before in the early 1990's on a Ford I owned, and it was fantastic then and I just wish my everyday Corsa had this, as the heater on my 63 plate is useless, in fact, when I get to the end of my 30 mile commute to work, it is only just gets warm.
All in all, following the test drive, we were sold on the car but what followed was the most surprising element to the whole buying experience- the deal!!!

So, here's the deal, the Corsa retails at £13,145. I've never paid full price for high ticket items, I like a deal, but I did not expect such a deal:
I have the benefit, through work of the Vauxhall Partners and I studied PCP's before going to the forecourts at length, and it meets our needs just right, so here goes, this was a 6,000 miles per year PCP:
Partners discount: -£966
Vauxhall Scrappage scheme (Part Ex) (ends Dec 15th): -£2000
Vauxhall PCP Deposit contribution: -£1300
Vauxhall web voucher: -£250
Less £500 of our own cash and it worked out at £120.37 per month.

So, factoring in everything over three years:
+monthly payments 3 years= £4333
+Deposit: £1000 (our car+ £500 cash);
+Dealership servicing in the next 3 years= £400?
+ Road tax (2x£130)= £260
Minus:
Insurance a little cheaper for the Corsa (£2 per month cheaper!)=£72
Fuel efficiency saving (Alfa 30mpg to Corsa a conservative guess at 40mpg? at current £1.08 litre)= £737

SO, under the PCP, if we hand the keys back at 36 month point (and under PCP this is not the only choice):
Total ownership costs of the brand new Corsa over 36 months including service and road tax= £144 PER MONTH
11 year old Alfa 147 cost (over 28 months of ownership) = £110 PER MONTH

OK, we haven't saved anything and we will now be paying out £34 per month more, but what I (hope!) to have is the benefit of a shiny new car, thats reliable, a clear payment schedule, no unexpected repair bills, no inconvenience of taking in for MOT; less trips to filling station and of course, the feel good factor. What is clear though, the new Corsa is fun to drive and meets my needs as a weekend car. Will I miss the Alfa? Only time will tell.....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The new VED rates only effect new vehicles registered in or after 2017.

Vauxhall service plans start at £500 for a brand new corsa for a 3 year plan.

And finally, 40MPG would only be if you do mostly town driving, if you have a decent commute to work then you'll find a big improvement in your MPG!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi limeyUK

Thanks for pointing out the VED rates, guess it would be reassuring to know that the Alfa won't get a higher rate Tax, my mistake in terms of reading about the new VED's. If servicing is £500 as per a plan, then this is reassuring, I take my diesel Corsa to an independent, so wasn't sure on Vauxhall charges. Its reassuring to know that we might get more mpg than the 40mpg guess I took.

Rich

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Welcome! I have a MY16 Energy and signed up for the service plan and pay around £15 a month. Was never given a figure for the whole of the 3 years. I agree, the heated seats and wheel are pure luxury! That was the reason I wanted this car (along with the heated screen) - I have a circulation problem that means getting my hands too cold can be very painful. I've had the car 5 weeks now and have been able to drive pain free thanks to that steering wheel! Mine is the 1.4T also in shiny rock. It's a gorgeous colour and looks good with the silver wheels too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi LeachiE
Thanks for the info. Re the service plan, paying monthly does take the sting out of the costs. I never thought of the therapeutic use of the heated wheel, but stands to reason really, great that you can get extra value from this feature. Your absolutely right of the colour, it's very classy and looks nice and modern, black cars can look a bit aggressive on the road (my Alfa was black) and silver/grey are commonplace, the Shiny Rock is mid way, and looks stunning polished up. My day to day Corsa is solid blue, and scratches so easily, another good reason to spec the car in metallic paint
Cheers, Rich

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
richatthecroft said:
Hi limeyUK

Thanks for pointing out the VED rates, guess it would be reassuring to know that the Alfa won't get a higher rate Tax, my mistake in terms of reading about the new VED's. If servicing is £500 as per a plan, then this is reassuring, I take my diesel Corsa to an independent, so wasn't sure on Vauxhall charges. Its reassuring to know that we might get more mpg than the 40mpg guess I took.

Rich
I think most dealerships try to go with similar plans to the manufacturer (especially for new cars) , I also think diesel corsa servicing costs slightly more (?).

It's worth joining up on Fuelly to keep track on MPG if its something of interest to you :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I also noticed the whole wheel is heated now. the Corsa D model only heated the 10 to 2 positions. All that heat needs fuel to provide it though!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Jarviser said:
I also noticed the whole wheel is heated now. the Corsa D model only heated the 10 to 2 positions. All that heat needs fuel to provide it though!
It's worth losing a few mpg for though! I was also expecting it just to heat the 10 and 2 but it definitely heats more than that. Just as well as I need to move my hands often as they are so cold they actually cool the wheel a bit where I hold it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mine only heats partially. Definitely not the whole wheel. The top and bottom are definitely cold, but the side sections are warm..

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mine only heats where the highlighted areas are, the top is always cold and the bottom occasionally gets slightly warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts