Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

No Apps or CarPlay Support?

17K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  LimeyUK 
#1 ·
I'm so tempted to buy a Limited Edition 5dr Corsa and I love the car but a few things are bugging me and making me consider going for a Volkswagen Polo instead. In my countless emails to Vauxhall I've not had any useful answer either.

A) is the new infotainment system dead in the water? After being released for over a year there has been no further apps made available for it.

B) Is an update going to be brought out enabling CarPlay or Android Auto to work on the Intellilink screen so we don't have to make do with the frankly useless bring-go system.

C) shocked that no matter what trim level or options you select, there's no package or option which enables me to get rear electric windows. I think I'd be embarrassed having a 15 plate car with no rear electric windows when my friends 15 year old bmw what he paid £400 for has them :/

I'm looking to spend £17k on a car, I would be adding a few optional extras to the limited edition but I dunno if I can justify giving that money to Vauxhall when I can have a Polo for the same price or less with rear electric windows, Spotify and support for countless apps, and CarPlay support via their CarNet App Connect system.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't think I'd spend 17K on a Corsa LE even if it did have lecky rear windows!! VXR is only a grand more so that is what I'd have and there is not an equivalent Polo to that, in fact no VW at all at that price with that performance :)

PS. Intellilink is cr*p but rest of car is far superior to Polo. I test drove alot of other cars before choosing the Corsa including a Polo which didn't come close for performance and mpg to the 1.4T and it doesn't look as good either.

#4 ·
It is a shame, and to add insult to injury they've announced how the new Astra will support CarPlay etc so it seems they have a new system lined up for the Astra and the current system in the Corsa which isn't all that old itself is now obsolete - so it's a brand new car with an obsolete and non supported infotainment system because I doubt VX will provide any updates for it and I doubt it'll ever support CarPlay if the hardware isn't advanced enough.

I do really like the Corsa and I'm so close to buying one but now the Polo seems to keep impressing me more and more and tbh I wish it didn't. :/

#5 ·
jamescmartin13 said:
It is a shame, and to add insult to injury they've announced how the new Astra will support CarPlay etc so it seems they have a new system lined up for the Astra and the current system in the Corsa which isn't all that old itself is now obsolete - so it's a brand new car with an obsolete and non supported infotainment system because I doubt VX will provide any updates for it and I doubt it'll ever support CarPlay if the hardware isn't advanced enough.

I do really like the Corsa and I'm so close to buying one but now the Polo seems to keep impressing me more and more and tbh I wish it didn't. :/
There are apps due before Christmas on the corsa Intelilink, so who knows what they'll provide.

As mud says, you can get a VXR for just a little more, and the polo is way behind that. IMO the polo is behind when it comes to the new corsa anyway.

#6 ·
I think I might hold off buying a new car until later in the year to see what updates come to the Corsa CarPlay wise. VW say there's a 5 month wait on a factory order polo, so I'd regret it if I got the Polo then a few weeks before I took delivery Vauxhall announced an update for Intellilink bringing more apps and/or CarPlay.

The Polo does look bland and boring compared to the new Corsa, I'm so keen on the new Corsa. I actually got a 14 plate 3dr Excite in white last year but sold it privately now as we want a 5dr car as we've just had a baby.. so we are sharing my partners yellow 3dr LE until we get a 5dr sorted... but if new apps will come to Corsa and maybe Intellilink, I'd rather wait than just order and regret

#7 ·
Ill add this here as well.

I found out that the New BMW 7 series won't even be supporting CarPlay or Android Auto, at least Initially anyway, BMW are keeping quiet. There's obviously something about it that isn't likeable for car infotainment devs.

#8 ·
I just wish Microsoft would get their ass into gear and deliver mirrorlink (not even sure it will be in windows 10). I've seen the demo and it will be a game changer for in car systems as it allows all windows apps on your phone to run on the head units 7" or 8" screens, this includes sat nav apps etc. The cars LCD screen basically becomes the home screen of your windows phone with all the familiar tiles. Some apps are restricted from working while on the move such as movies but for me as a windows phone user it would be highly desirable. Alpine do an 8" LCD head unit that is mirrorlink enabled too so you also get a quality stereo head unit on top of it all, far superior to intellilink. Sadly Microsoft take forever to release anything.

#9 ·
mud4fun said:
I just wish Microsoft would get their ass into gear and deliver mirrorlink (not even sure it will be in windows 10). I've seen the demo and it will be a game changer for in car systems as it allows all windows apps on your phone to run on the head units 7" or 8" screens, this includes sat nav apps etc. The cars LCD screen basically becomes the home screen of your windows phone with all the familiar tiles. Some apps are restricted from working while on the move such as movies but for me as a windows phone user it would be highly desirable. Alpine do an 8" LCD head unit that is mirrorlink enabled too so you also get a quality stereo head unit on top of it all, far superior to intellilink. Sadly Microsoft take forever to release anything.
Now that would give me a reason to get a windows phone IMO. I do like the windows phone OS, just a shame about the phones that its run on, and the lack of apps.

All movie related functions should be restricted by law, its illegal to have a movie playing on a headunit whilst the vehicle is moving. Just as well I guess, some peoples driving is bad enough without further distraction!

#10 ·
Lack of apps is a largely a myth spread by iphone users. I've had my Nokia 925 for two years and have not failed to find an app yet that I needed from image resizing tools, GPS speedos to 0-60mph loggers. Also windows OS includes many functions as standard that you have to buy apps for on iPhones so obviously there will be more apps needed for them. At the time I got my Nokia it was far superior to any iphone in both looks and performance and as it is half the price of an iphone on contract it probably still is superior! ;-)

The Nokia has proper hardware optical image stabilisation and Carl Zeiss optics which the iphone doesn't. I can take photos in near pitch dark using a 1/4 second shutter and still get a clear image something that even the latest iphone can't match. In bright daylight the iphone has better quality image but for me I take loads of photos in my dimly lit workshop of my Land Rover restorations or family photos indoors, so a quality camera is the main priority when choosing a phone. On top of that I got free sat nav software and free unlimited map updates with my phone and I use that alot. :)

The main reason windows phones don't sell is badge snobbery and the cr*p operating systems that Microsoft released for the PC to replace XP which everybody loved. Vista and more recently windows 8 put alot of people off Microsoft products. I think if Microsoft actually get mirrorlink integrated into windows 10 they will finally have a big advantage over apple. Many car systems support mirrorlink and windows 10 will be available on all devices. So the windows phones will in theory be able to run the sort of software that is available for PC which opens up a huge choice of software beyond iphone type apps. Combine that with the ability to run them on an 8" touch screen in the car and they should be onto a winner!

#11 ·
mud4fun said:
Lack of apps is a largely a myth spread by iphone users. I've had my Nokia 925 for two years and have not failed to find an app yet that I needed from image resizing tools, GPS speedos to 0-60mph loggers. Also windows OS includes many functions as standard that you have to buy apps for on iPhones so obviously there will be more apps needed for them. At the time I got my Nokia it was far superior to any iphone in both looks and performance and as it is half the price of an iphone on contract it probably still is superior! ;-)

The Nokia has proper hardware optical image stabilisation and Carl Zeiss optics which the iphone doesn't. I can take photos in near pitch dark using a 1/4 second shutter and still get a clear image something that even the latest iphone can't match. In bright daylight the iphone has better quality image but for me I take loads of photos in my dimly lit workshop of my Land Rover restorations or family photos indoors, so a quality camera is the main priority when choosing a phone. On top of that I got free sat nav software and free unlimited map updates with my phone and I use that alot. :)

The main reason windows phones don't sell is badge snobbery and the cr*p operating systems that Microsoft released for the PC to replace XP which everybody loved. Vista and more recently windows 8 put alot of people off Microsoft products. I think if Microsoft actually get mirrorlink integrated into windows 10 they will finally have a big advantage over apple. Many car systems support mirrorlink and windows 10 will be available on all devices. So the windows phones will in theory be able to run the sort of software that is available for PC which opens up a huge choice of software beyond iphone type apps. Combine that with the ability to run them on an 8" touch screen in the car and they should be onto a winner!
I'm an android user, and agree about the iPhone! Windows Phone apps vs Android apps have improved, but still find that many companies dont bother supporting windows phones (for whatever reason).

I would love to open a dev menu on the intellilink, just to be able to see what it is truly capable of. Its a shame that they didn't just allow mirrorlinking, many android phones are capable of it, that way the user wouldn't be restricted so much!

#13 ·
jamescmartin13 said:
I'm talking more about compatible intellilink apps which are available rather than the amount of apps available for iOS, android, blackberry etc. so far only 3 apps are available on intellilink?
Yea, it went a little off topic there.

Currently it is 3 apps, none of which I use, or have used, yet. For me, the apps arent a selling point, merely just an extra feature.

Many systems similar to intelilink dont support many apps - either due to devs not wanting to bother making them, or just a pure lack of interest for them.

Saying that, many similar systems to intellilink are in more premium cars that are significantly more expensive.

#14 ·
Not sure it was off topic? I'm a windows phone user so NONE of the current apps work for me and I sincerely doubt VX has any interest in introducing any more when what they do have are all cr*p and they are well aware of it. Most manufacturers are already looking to move to Google or Microsoft to provide their systems as they are best placed to give widest support and regular updates. Intellilink is an archaic system, it was virtually redundant by the time the Corsa E was released.

The manufacturers are in a tight spot with this technology. On the one hand they want to keep everything in house so they can have something that other manufacturers don't. They also don't want to hand over valuable data (customer locations, hours they drive, type of car they drive, what music they listen to) to the likes of Google. On the other hand they know that customers like all of us just want an LCD screen that we can feed our own phone apps to.

The windows 10 debate is very relevant to this because a single operating system for all devices includes car infotainment systems. I have no doubt that within two years we'll have head units capable of near 100% windows 10 app support at which point intellilink will become irrelevant. GM are unlikely to invest much more in intellilink until they see how windows 10 is accepted by the public.

#15 ·
mud4fun said:
Not sure it was off topic? I'm a windows phone user so NONE of the current apps work for me and I sincerely doubt VX has any interest in introducing any more when what they do have are all cr*p and they are well aware of it. Most manufacturers are already looking to move to Google or Microsoft to provide their systems as they are best placed to give widest support and regular updates. Intellilink is an archaic system, it was virtually redundant by the time the Corsa E was released.

The manufacturers are in a tight spot with this technology. On the one hand they want to keep everything in house so they can have something that other manufacturers don't. They also don't want to hand over valuable data (customer locations, hours they drive, type of car they drive, what music they listen to) to the likes of Google. On the other hand they know that customers like all of us just want an LCD screen that we can feed our own phone apps to.

The windows 10 debate is very relevant to this because a single operating system for all devices includes car infotainment systems. I have no doubt that within two years we'll have head units capable of near 100% windows 10 app support at which point intellilink will become irrelevant. GM are unlikely to invest much more in intellilink until they see how windows 10 is accepted by the public.
Only very slightly :lol:

An AIO solution would be brilliant, would literally be like having a tablet built in.

The fact that these systems are only just making it down to lower priced cars such as the corsa is a great direction for the tech, unfortunately it seems that we need to be patient with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.