Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone else has notices a noise from their exhaust when you switch the engine off, each night when I drive home from work the cars cold and been sitting usually about 9 hours parked up with the engine off, I drive about 10 miles through stop start rush hour motorway and city traffic to get home, when I park up switch engine off and walk to my front door I can hear a metallic "tink, tink, tink" noise which I'm guessing is coming from the exhaust? Just wondering what the hell is making that noise, why its making that noise and if its normal/supposed to do that?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I believe that's quite normal, its the engine cooling down. Its probably not actually coming from the exhaust, but may sound like it :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
LimeyUK said:
I believe that's quite normal, its the engine cooling down. Its probably not actually coming from the exhaust, but may sound like it :)
Correct,it's just metal cooling down nothing to worry about buddy. :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is normal I believe, I think this is the radiator cooling down but don't quote me.

It's the same sound you can sometimes hear on your radiators in your house if you have central heating?

·
Registered
23 Posts
As the others have said - probably the engine cooling - also worth mentioning, in the owners manual it says that the radiator fan can still function after long trips.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK guys I know you've said this is normal and just the engine cooling down but its very loud, I can hear it from 10yards away, now on any other car ive had this has either been very quiet or not audible at all, and I drove a 1.4 Corsa D at work today (same basic engine) and it got much hotter than my car wouldve done in the short 9mile journey home from work and when I switched it off I couldn't hear a thing.

Is anyone else getting the "rattling" sound of metal cooling down when they park their car up and switch engine off?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
hendry said:
OK guys I know you've said this is normal and just the engine cooling down but its very loud, I can hear it from 10yards away, now on any other car ive had this has either been very quiet or not audible at all, and I drove a 1.4 Corsa D at work today (same basic engine) and it got much hotter than my car wouldve done in the short 9mile journey home from work and when I switched it off I couldn't hear a thing.

Is anyone else getting the "rattling" sound of metal cooling down when they park their car up and switch engine off?
It will be perfectly normal. You'll just be worrying about the smallest of things due to the fact it's a new car and that you've have numerous problems with it already. If you are worried about it, take it in and get the garage to look over it, but I highly suspect that it is just engine cooling.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It is pretty normal, as is the fan continuing to spin (you hear it whirring) after a trip no matter how long or short, I wouldn't worry about it at all as these things are normal for many cars

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy thread revival batman!

Ive just realised it's not the exhaust doing this, it's the engine block itself, and ive checked several Corsa Ds with the B14XER engine same as my car, they don't do this when the engine is warm and is switched off and starts to cool down, still normal and nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Pretty sure it's still normal, will still be cooling down etc. just keep an eye on it I guess!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Plus the fact that the E engines and fittings may not be exactly the same as the D, there are different emission fittings on them, different exhausts and in the turbo cars different intercoolers and related pipework. Your 1.4na engine in the E has a different power rating to the 1.4na in the D isn't it, it may not just be the map that changed but also the exhaust or manifold etc. Also new cars tend to make more of these noises than older cars as it takes a while for everything to bed in. As long as your coolant temp doesn't go into the red, your oil level is not dropping, your exhaust runs smoke free and the car drives OK with no lumpiness I wouldn't worry too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.