Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if I'm paranoid about this car as I've had a fair few problems already..but I've noticed the air con is quite noisy or maybe this is normal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Mine is very quiet so I don't have that problem however mine doesn't get very cold so I have a different problem! :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise could possibly be the condenser and the reason for the pool of water that comes underneath the middle of the car after switching off the ignition...I'll get the dealer to look at it when it goes in for new door seal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Mine is very quiet so I don't have that problem however mine doesn't get very cold so I have a different problem! :-(
Same! When I put the fan on its coldest setting and then press the AC button I can feel it get colder with the AC button pressed than it it with it off but it still isnt "ice" cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Mines the same ...the a/c isnt ice cold for a new car. It also does make a wushing sound through the vents. The water dripping from under the car is totally normal its the removed water from the air dripping from the exit pipe. Totally normal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I hired a corsa e in spain recently and the temperature was in the 40's in the shade and it was perfectly comfortable and mine is both quiet and cold enough for this country. More importantly it removes the moisture from the atmosphere which is what makes you sweat. I use mine with some heat on in the winter or when it's raining and passengers are wet to remove the moisture which steams the windows. On the Corsa D it was a major problem because of the poor ventilation and demisting of the windscreen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
bobtheslark said:
I hired a corsa e in spain recently and the temperature was in the 40's in the shade and it was perfectly comfortable and mine is both quiet and cold enough for this country. More importantly it removes the moisture from the atmosphere which is what makes you sweat. I use mine with some heat on in the winter or when it's raining and passengers are wet to remove the moisture which steams the windows. On the Corsa D it was a major problem because of the poor ventilation and demisting of the windscreen.
Did the corsa you hired only have AC or did it have Climate Control?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Also bobtheslark, I am comparing my Corsa E A/C to my previous vehicles A/C.

Yes the Corsa may get temp down to comfortable for you but that is actually a personal view as I hate the heat so may not consider comfortable for me to be same temperature. ;)

Hard fact is that with A/C on and recirculation enabled, after 15 minutes the Corsa only drops 8c from outside temp. Whereas my Mazda pickup in same test dropped 16c. (same true for my Toyota and Mitsubishi pickups too) The Mazda produced ice cold air that would give you goose bumps. The Corsa doesn't.

However it has been checked by my local garage and they tell me it is normal for modern small cars. They don't cool as well as A/C systems on bigger cars. Part of problem is weight reduction, physical space and load on engine. Big diesel pickup designed for crossing Africa or Asia has very large and heavy A/C components but that impacts on economy so Corsa has a far smaller system with less outright cooling.

I never noticed it before ordering because all my test drives of all the new cars I tried were done in winter months so had heater on not cooling.

Thankfully we don't get too many very hot days so not a great problem, just a minor inconvenience in the UK :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Limey...it was 'not' climate control but straight air con.

Also..mud4fun..Yes I AM just stating my own personal view and what suits me and how I use air con in the winter which for some younger drivers may not have thought of doing. I accept, everyone has there own opinions as I. Some I agree with and some I don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
bobtheslark said:
Limey...it was 'not' climate control but straight air con.

Also..mud4fun..Yes I AM just stating my own personal view and what suits me and how I use air con in the winter which for some younger drivers may not have thought of doing. I accept, everyone has there own opinions as I. Some I agree with and some I don't.
Sorry, I did not mean to be offensive. I was referring to the fact your being comfortable in Spanish heat is purely subjective. Each person will have a different comfort tolerance of heat and humidity.

Had you said it took inside temperature down to 16c from 40c then I could directly compare and know mine was knackered. Where the electronic climate control is useful as it shows temperature achieved?

As it happens mine would take temp down to 32c from 40c outside. That may be within your comfort zone but not mine as in similar conditions I'd be comfortable with it at 24c which is what my previous vehicles would achieve hence the reason I thought/think mine is not working. Sadly VX don't publish a figure for what you should expect in terms of reduction so they can tell you it is working fine even with just an 8c drop :-(

Also having the A/C on in the Corsa seems to have no effect on mpg at all whereas in my previous vehicles it could reduce mpg by as much as 10% and typically by 5% so it suggests that the A/C in the Corsa is not actually doing much otherwise it would put a measurable load on the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Mind you to be fair my reply to skyblue that mine is 'very quiet' is also subjective especially as I'm used to driving old Land Rovers that are very noisy!! :)

Guess it is difficult to advise on such things where the problem is itself subjective. At least with cooling it should be possible to apply a measurement easy enough to compare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
bobtheslark said:
Limey...it was 'not' climate control but straight air con.

Also..mud4fun..Yes I AM just stating my own personal view and what suits me and how I use air con in the winter which for some younger drivers may not have thought of doing. I accept, everyone has there own opinions as I. Some I agree with and some I don't.
Sorry, I did not mean to be offensive. I was referring to the fact your being comfortable in Spanish heat is purely subjective. Each person will have a different comfort tolerance of heat and humidity.

Had you said it took inside temperature down to 16c from 40c then I could directly compare and know mine was knackered. Where the electronic climate control is useful as it shows temperature achieved?

As it happens mine would take temp down to 32c from 40c outside. That may be within your comfort zone but not mine as in similar conditions I'd be comfortable with it at 24c which is what my previous vehicles would achieve hence the reason I thought/think mine is not working. Sadly VX don't publish a figure for what you should expect in terms of reduction so they can tell you it is working fine even with just an 8c drop :-(

Also having the A/C on in the Corsa seems to have no effect on mpg at all whereas in my previous vehicles it could reduce mpg by as much as 10% and typically by 5% so it suggests that the A/C in the Corsa is not actually doing much otherwise it would put a measurable load on the engine.
I also find it doesn't affect the cars performance as much as on any of my previous cars, my Clio was just the 1.2 75bhp effort but you could really tell it affected the power as it went from practically no power with a/C off to totally struggling to get anywhere with it on, my old Astras (1.6 16v Astra G and 1.8 16v Astra H) both had noticeable drops in power with it on, the Corsa hardly noticeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
bobtheslark said:
Limey...it was 'not' climate control but straight air con
Ah cool. I'm quite surprised that it was able to hold up to those sort of temperatures. Good to know (although we never get that here!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Yes Hendry. On my pickups which all had big 2.5TDi engines when I turned the A/C on with the engine idling, the engine revs would drop and you could feel the engine actually struggling to run. If I turned the temperature control up and down you could feel the engine load go down or up. Even at higher motorway speeds, turning the A/C off would actually cause the vehicle to jump forwards with so much freed up power!

On the Corsa I can't feel any noticeable load on engine, no change to engine note and no obvious effect on performance or economy.

The difference of course is that the A/C on the pickups when turned to its lowest setting would produce seriously cold air, similar to opening a freezer door. On the Corsa ot simply produces slightly cooler air than not having it on. It is certainly not cold air.

My daughter and I went out shopping tonight and it was quite warm in the car which had been sat in the sun all afternoon. It took 20 miles of motorway at 70mph with the A/C on with recirc before the temperature got cool enough for what we considered comfortable temperature. My pickup would have been cool enough in about 1 mile and the big double cab pickup had a far larger interior volume to cool too, so I'm far from impressed with the A/C performance.

I suspect though that this may be because they've sacrificed cooling performance for better mpg?

Skyblue, we also tested for noise. With the stereo off so just the noise of the fan there is a distinct wooshing sound when A/C is turned on. Not what I'd call loud though. It is no noisier than any other vehicle I've owned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
This is worrying me. I've got my Corsa 1.4 Turbo Petrol with Climate Control on order. I'm getting rid of my current car (Fiesta) because of the opposite problem, it won't heat up in winter, but it does blow ice cold air. I'm worried that I'm now going to be too hot in the summer! Just a thought though, the last post mentioned having "recirc" on, wouldn't it get colder quicker with it off? My Fiesta works that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
eurobuff said:
This is worrying me. I've got my Corsa 1.4 Turbo Petrol with Climate Control on order. I'm getting rid of my current car (Fiesta) because of the opposite problem, it won't heat up in winter, but it does blow ice cold air. I'm worried that I'm now going to be too hot in the summer! Just a thought though, the last post mentioned having "recirc" on, wouldn't it get colder quicker with it off? My Fiesta works that way.
Heater works great! I've not really needed the heated screen. I got my car back in March when we were still having icy mornings and car gets warm very quick (1.4T) :)

Normally using recirculation gets car cooler faster as aircon is cooling already cooled air.

I have no idea what is normal levels of cooling for Corsa sized cars as I've only just downsized to a small car after driving large executive cars and 4x4's for the last 25 years. My local independent garage confirms that small modern cars do not have A/C systems to match the sort of vehicles I'm used to and they don't think there is anything wrong with the A/C in my Corsa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
eurobuff said:
This is worrying me. I've got my Corsa 1.4 Turbo Petrol with Climate Control on order. I'm getting rid of my current car (Fiesta) because of the opposite problem, it won't heat up in winter, but it does blow ice cold air. I'm worried that I'm now going to be too hot in the summer! Just a thought though, the last post mentioned having "recirc" on, wouldn't it get colder quicker with it off? My Fiesta works that way.
I have ECC on my 1.4T and have it set for 21c, the first day I had the car the fan ran fast all the time trying to cool the car down, I then switched on the AC, after 20 seconds the fans slowed down and the car cooled to a comfortable temp.
So you need to switch AC on manually .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I wasn't going to comment on this subject again but today was a warm and sticky day today and the temperature in the car was in the 30s. With my aircon on recirculation within 2 to 3 miles of driving at 40mph the speed limit, the temperature and humidity in the car became very comfortable for the 3 of us in the car. I took the recirculation off and continued the rest of the journey in comfort with the internal temperature at 18c. (According to the thermometer I'd taken into in the car).
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top