Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how every one elses oil life is doing now youve all had your cars a few months now?

My car was registered 8 months ago on Friday, 20/03/2015 reg, now done 8500 miles and I'm down to 15% so I think I'll be needing my first service a couple of months before the car is officially a year old.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Coming up to 8 months on the 3rd December, nearly 10,000 miles and on 31% oil life.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Mine now at 27% after 9 months & 4970 miles so should be on track for Service in Feb 2016.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mines coming up to 7 months old with 47% oil life left at just over 1900 miles

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Had mine since 2nd June (6 months on 2nd Dec), done around 7200 miles, oil life is 51%

·
Registered
50 Posts
7 months old, 2700 miles, about 44% left!

I hadn't used the car for a week or so, and it dropped quite a bit!

Service will be due in April - but I think it might be earlier, if I have to get it done when the life reaches zero.

Where would I stand? Do I have to get the service early, or drive it if it hits zero?

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it was me I'd be getting an oil change once it hit 10% also it makes me wonder how accurate the reading is

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
With my 8000 miles a year and the life showing at 86% after 1200 ml it will be touch and go what will come first, 0% or 12 months, BUT it will be serviced at 12 months and not a day before. It's the same engine I had in the D and 12 months was good enough for that.

I might worry if it was a Turbo. But it's not.

Let's see how much fuss the OnStar makes on the monthly report to the dealers!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
spongebob said:
7 months old, 2700 miles, about 44% left!

I hadn't used the car for a week or so, and it dropped quite a bit!

Service will be due in April - but I think it might be earlier, if I have to get it done when the life reaches zero.

Where would I stand? Do I have to get the service early, or drive it if it hits zero?
All depends on whether you care about the engine, and how much you trust the % itself.

Easiest way to tell if you need to change it is to check yourself with the dipstick!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Easiest way to tell if you need to change it is to check yourself with the dipstick!
Oil life on dash has nothing to do with oil level. It is an approximation of how much lubricity is left in the oil.

My oil life is showing 31% after 13.5K miles BUT my oil level is still just below full on the dipstick on its factory oil. So looking at oil level tells you nothing. The oil could be like water with no lubricating property left but may still show as nearly full on the level. Of course the opposite is true too in that oil life may show as 100% but engine may have no oil left in it such as when you have a leak or major defect.

Small modern engines in heavy cars like the Corsa are under more stress than big engines in older cars so even the normally aspirated engines need frequent oil changes to keep them in good health - especially if you only do lots of short trips on a cold engine.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's now at 10% as I've done a lot of backroad runs recently which has dramatically increased the oil life. At 6k miles it had about 45% so its lost 35% in Under 3k miles, it was looking like id go the full year before reaching 0% but I'm definitely going to need it serviced early, the question is just how early.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mud4fun said:
LimeyUK said:
Oil life on dash has nothing to do with oil level. It is an approximation of how much lubricity is left in the oil.

My oil life is showing 31% after 13.5K miles BUT my oil level is still just below full on the dipstick on its factory oil. So looking at oil level tells you nothing. The oil could be like water with no lubricating property left but may still show as nearly full on the level. Of course the opposite is true too in that oil life may show as 100% but engine may have no oil left in it such as when you have a leak or major defect.

Small modern engines in heavy cars like the Corsa are under more stress than big engines in older cars so even the normally aspirated engines need frequent oil changes to keep them in good health - especially if you only do lots of short trips on a cold engine.
Probably he didn't mean to check the oil level, but to check the oil color (dirt) and viscosity. Might work for a petrol engine if you have enough experience...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
LimeyUK said:

No I know, I meant to say to check the colour - thought I'd put that in there :roll:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, mine is still lovely and golden in colour after 13K miles. Petrol engines don't discolour their oil like diesels. You can't even rub the oil between your fingers and easily tell if the oil is degraded because synthetic oil is like water anyway. Takes a skilled person to estimate oil life from rubbing it these days. Not like years ago when mineral oil would be thick and sticky when new and thin and watery when knackered.

In comparison my Land Rover diesel engine turns its mineral oil black in just a few thousand miles. :) I change the LR engine oil every 3K miles to keep engine healthy.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
if the engine analysed the oil for lubricating properties and contamination I might believe the % readout. However as it is probably an algorithm based on some arbitrary usage figures designed to sell you oil changes at £100 a gallon I will ignore it and use the 12 month or 20k guide. it is all my service plan will cover.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
LOL, mine is still lovely and golden in colour after 13K miles. Petrol engines don't discolour their oil like diesels. You can't even rub the oil between your fingers and easily tell if the oil is degraded because synthetic oil is like water anyway. Takes a skilled person to estimate oil life from rubbing it these days. Not like years ago when mineral oil would be thick and sticky when new and thin and watery when knackered.

In comparison my Land Rover diesel engine turns its mineral oil black in just a few thousand miles. :) I change the LR engine oil every 3K miles to keep engine healthy.
Ah, I didn't know that about he petrol oils! So we almost have to go by the oil life % then?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts