Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Corsa dash is quite curvy and has many lines, creases, bends and so on, which are clearly meant to be there, it driving home earlier I noticed another 2 straight lines along the passenger side of the dash above where an obvious intentional curved line on the dash top is, they looked really dull (my dash is really Shiny just now due to cleaning it with something with some of the properties of a dash silicone spray shine) I ran my hand over them when I got home and the lines are clearly there due to additional curves or bends in the dash as I could feel the bends with my hand, I then wondered why there were 2 random straight lines (they don't look part of the design of the dash) so I went round to the passenger side and it was even more obvious, only now I could only see 1 straight line and below it the outline of a rectangular box directly below it, and its clearly recessed slightly hence how its visible, it also seems the dash plastic is "thinner" there, so I'm presuming that rectangular box outline is where the airbag sits underneath the dash and that outline is where it will burst the dash open in the event of a collision, and its clearly thinner there so its easier to penetrate the plastic, my question is, should this outline be so clearly obvious as it totally detracts from the look of the dash and looks unsightly. I've never noticed it before but maybe that's because the dash wasn't cleaned with a part silicone spray so didn't stand out.

Has anyone else got/noticed the same thing on their car?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
FFS Hendry, you are now finding problems where there aren't any! :roll:

The dash top is not plastic, it is a rubberised foam covering and is quite soft and malleable. I found this when I removed the speaker grill to see what was under it. They have probably cut it on the underside to allow the airbag to operate as it is about 5mm thick normally.

If you look at any car with a microscope you will find problems, even with a Rolls Royce. You need to stop looking for faults and just enjoy the car. It is a cheap high volume/mass produced shopping car not a £250K hand built super car, your expectations of build quality and design are way above what this class of car delivers!!!!!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:

The dash top is not plastic, it is a rubberised foam covering and is quite soft and malleable. I found this when I removed the speaker grill to see what was under it. They have probably cut it on the underside to allow the airbag to operate as it is about 5mm thick normally.

If you look at any car with a microscope you will find problems, even with a Rolls Royce. You need to stop looking for faults and just enjoy the car. It is a cheap high volume/mass produced shopping car not a £250K hand built super car, your expectations of build quality and design are way above what this class of car delivers!!!!!
Agreed

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have seen the same in my car (Ibiza). Personally it doesn't bother me as the dash material is textured so only see when I really look for it. For me, I'd rather have that little square be slightly visible and know that whoever sits in the passenger seat will be protected, than have the perfect lines of a dash without airbag. My daughter always comments at how big and wide my dash is and I always say 'It's my crumple zone that may save our legs should the worst happen!'

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mud4fun said:

I realise this but nearly 12k is a lot of money for me, I don't have a great job with good money so ive had to work hard for this car and I don't want to be feeling like I'm working hard for something that's not worth it. It's my first ever brand new car and I think ive a right to expect a brand new car to be flawless.

Yes I am pernickety, OCD and anal about most things but I hate spending money I've worked hard for on stuff that's not right, and judging by Google searches for the same thing and finding similar posts on other car specific forums I'm not the only 1.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm hardly rolling in money myself Hendry, if I was rich I wouldn't be driving a Corsa, however I'm also realistic enough to know that any car that costs less than £20K is a cheap car regardless of whether you and I think it expensive.

These cars are built down to a price. Also regardless of how you bought your car, the vast majority of new cars are sold on finance and most of those are on PCP or lease. The Corsa only costs £100-200 a month depending on trim level. That makes it a very cheap car and your expectations need to adjust to that reality.

To be fair, before I had a wife, kids and mortgage I was wealthy and drove numerous very expensive cars that would now be in the £50K-£80K range and just about every one had issues that you would complain about. In fact a friend used to have a Lamborghini and the carpet was quite poorly finished. My mums Rover Montego Vanden Plas had superior interior finish so actually I suspect you would be disappointed with any car going on what you've said.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being nasty. I feel for you as I know it is your first car. I just get the impression that you are applying far higher expectations from the car than is warranted and the number of 'faults' you are finding is ruining your enjoyment of the car.

I have many of the issues on Dafny that you have commented about on your car. I haven't mentioned them as they don't concern me at all. I can't even be bothered mentioning them to the dealer.

My priorities lie in low running costs, performance, economy and reliably churning out 300 mile motorway commutes week after week. As long as it continues to do that then I will happily live with a few bits of misaligned trim, the odd rattle and a few mm difference in panel gaps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hendry, True Scotsman eh. BTW theres some cheap car vacs on Ebay :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
mud4fun said:

Out of interest what is under the speaker grill in the dash :lol: my brother seems to think it is some sort of sub as the system is quite bassy for a basic set up

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sympathise and agree with both Hendry and mud4fun and see where both are coming from - but what I think we tend to forget is how far cars have improved over the years in safety, electronics, engine-design and reliability. Year on year, with each new release of a model things HAVE to be improved. If they weren't we wouldn't buy the car. I bought my first new car, a Morris 1000 around 1957. Since then I've had numerous others, mainly secondhand, including a mini, a Bentley Continental and a Mercedes 230SL and others. But none of them, overall, are as good as the Corsa - they couldn't have been - they were built long before it. And now, yes, my brand new car with Easytronic transmission (bought because it saved fuel over the standard auto) has been reluctant since day one to change gear from first to second. It hesitates and judders before condescending. But all the other changes are as smooth as silk. So, after 600 miles I'm reluctantly taking it to a main VX dealer next week for them to try and cure the problem. I'm scared to do so because I fear I'll hear - 'They're so new, we've never seen this before' or 'There's actually nothing wrong with it, it's normal' or 'We'll have to replace abc and xyz and we have to order it all.' So here's a question for you all: what if they can't cure it? What are my rights? Can I go as far as demanding a new car? And/or do I simply take it back because that's just how cheap, mass-produced cars, albeit costing thousands of pounds, sometimes turn out?!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Depends on whether or not it is an actual problem. It could well be just what the box does, or maybe even an unrealistic expectation - no one knows until you take it in.

You can formally reject a car within a certain time frame, but that would leave you without a car.

Unless the change is causing annoyance every time it happens, or is dangerous - i.e. Not allowing you to accelerate when needed. Then if they can't fix it, I'd say get on with it, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I thought they withdrew queezytronic from the D because of this trait.

OK I would recommend never going this route again, but keep on at them, it should change up and down when needed at the very least! Make them get a Vx engineer look at it.
Juddering is a common trait of this method of operation where your foot is replaced by a hydraulic ram so the feel feedback is not there (where you might ease up on the operation). So smoothness may not be negotiable.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah, hugh in your case it needs looking at as that is potentially a serious fault (just like my S/S failure).

Out of interest and slightly off topic, can I ask why you guys choose autos? I severely damaged my left knee when I was in my early 20's and since then sitting in traffic with heavy use of the clutch in a manual can cause serious pain and inflamation. However I still choose a manual. In the Corsa the clutch is so light that for me there is no real issue any more (unlike driving my classic Land Rovers) and I gain the benefit of the superb 6 speed manual gearbox and the very impressive economy that it gives. I've been curious as to why anybody would choose an auto in such a small car as they are notoriously poor on economy and driving satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yeah, hugh in your case it needs looking at as that is potentially a serious fault (just like my S/S failure).

Out of interest and slightly off topic, can I ask why you guys choose autos? I severely damaged my left knee when I was in my early 20's and since then sitting in traffic with heavy use of the clutch in a manual can cause serious pain and inflamation. However I still choose a manual. In the Corsa the clutch is so light that for me there is no real issue any more (unlike driving my classic Land Rovers) and I gain the benefit of the superb 6 speed manual gearbox and the very impressive economy that it gives. I've been curious as to why anybody would choose an auto in such a small car as they are notoriously poor on economy and driving satisfaction.
Because people are naturally lazy :lol:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I don't think I would like to drive an auto or one where you can change gears without a clutch. I've been driving 25 years now and driving is just a way of life now. Along these lines I don't think I could get on with the park assist either, where you only have to use the accelerator and break and not touch the steering wheel - parking without using my hands too must feel quite bizarre! My brother has it in his 1 Series and it took him ages to try it out! :lol: He is used to it now, in fact, I must ask him to show me it in action!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mud4fun said:

I have to agree with you here, we continually have this discussion at work because one of the questions we ask all customers is "can you drive both manual and automatic cars" and about 8/10 times someone with a full manual licence so entitled to drive an auto will say "no, I don't fancy it, too complicated" same with those who drive auto not wanting a manual, now I can understand some people drive an auto for health reasons, others just happen to have bought an auto and now struggle with manual cars.

I can understand people who drive autos struggling with a manual car, but I don't get folk who can drive manual but not auto, auto is soooooo much easier.

Anyway I digress, I'm not really a fan of autos, I like changing year when I want to and so on, but I'm coming round the the idea of autos, I definitely see the appeal of prestige cars with auto boxes, I can see now why most prestige cars are auto whereas I never understood it before and providing you have a decent car with a good engine with plwenty of torque, a decent autobox and so on its absolutely brilliant, however, auto Corsas are awful, they munch fuel like its going out of fashion, absolutely rev their nads off without going anywhere, have little power and what they do have is sooked away by the auto box, they rev so high before changing gear, taker ages to actually change up or down and are absolutely gutless. At least that's my experience of the Corsa C and D autos I've driven. Oddly I think diesel engines suit auto better than petrol ones, and youve got to have something like a 2.0 CDTi 165bhp Astra before an auto box even begins to be half decent.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, agreed Hendry. I fully understand the auto in a luxury/executive car. I just don't get it in a small car. A Corsa is surely mostly bought because it is relatively cheap to buy and run. The auto negates alot of the benefits of the small car. I could understand it years ago with hydraulic clutches that were heavy and could cause problems to people with injury but the clutch on the E is so light even my bad knee has not even noticed it. I was just curious, maybe I was missing something. To be fair I have not driven an auto Corsa but have driven many autos. My Dad had them as he had a bad left leg.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mud4fun said:
Yes, agreed Hendry. I fully understand the auto in a luxury/executive car. I just don't get it in a small car. A Corsa is surely mostly bought because it is relatively cheap to buy and run. The auto negates alot of the benefits of the small car. I could understand it years ago with hydraulic clutches that were heavy and could cause problems to people with injury but the clutch on the E is so light even my bad knee has not even noticed it. I was just curious, maybe I was missing something. To be fair I have not driven an auto Corsa but have driven many autos. My Dad had them as he had a bad left leg.
The 1.4 100bhp D autos are dangerous, do not pull out on a single carriageway road to overtake a slow moving car, they are noticeably slower than the 1.2 manuals, I can only imagine how bad the old Corsa C 1.2 easytronics were, my uncles old Astra H 1.6 easytronic was bad enough.

Interestingly my uncle had as a notability car a 12 plate Qashqai 1.5 DCi manual, got rid as he has bad arthritis and needs a walking stick etc and got a 13 plate Qashqai 1.6 petrol auto, I tried to tell him the 1.6 petrol manuals we had at work were gutless so this thing couldn't pull you out of bed, he bought it anyway and me and my dad both told him it was a mistake, he now realises how bad it is and saays next time he changes car he's going to take our advice and get a manual one. :lol:

I'd say you're half right about the Corsa being a cheap to buy and run car, because I think a lot of folk don't buy it because its cheap they buy it because they want a no frills car and they think being a Vauxhall it is unlikely to be unreliable, others buy it because its "trendy" as in the case of first the D LE and now the E, others genuinely like them (me included, I didn't buy it because it was cheap, for 12K I couldve got myself a fairly recent BMW 3 series or an old Eco or Subaru with loads of power, I bought the Corsa because I actually like them and would rather have one over a 3 series, or an A3 and so on, but then I'm a Vauxhall fanboy :lol: and suspect I'll always own a Vauxhall, maybe other cars too but always a Vauxhall, I buy another make and always come back, a lot of others are like that, they are just fans of the brand) others buy it for the spec, the Corsa is a car that appeals to all sexesz age ranges, personalities, its a car that's got something for everyone to a degree, its not niche or suites to just one type of person, but specifically the Autos in my experience are 9/10 times bought by older people in their late 60s onward who want a small, basic, easy to use, simple casr but with an auto box due to failing health or because its easier to drive for them. This is how you hardly ever see sporty auto Corsas like SRis or higher spec ones like SEs, most are Life, Club, and so on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts