Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that when I switch off the engine that the fan is still running for a while. Is this normal. It didn't happen in my last Corsa D.My car is a 1.3 CDTI.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine does that too as did another corsa e I had on loan. Think it's normal

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is normal, the fan will operate until a pre determined temperature is reached even after switching engine off

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah normal for fan to run after turning engine off if it is warm.

I also always sit with the car idling for a few minutes before turning off if I've just done a higher speed journey. It allows the oil to cool the turbo down. Failure to do this can result in premature failure of the turbo. Most people don't bother claiming that you don't need to do it but I've always done it and my last turbo was still perfect after 250K miles, shame the rest of the truck rusted away around it ;-)

·
Registered
132 Posts
mud4fun said:

I also always sit with the car idling for a few minutes before turning off if I've just done a higher speed journey. It allows the oil to cool the turbo down. Failure to do this can result in premature failure of the turbo. Most people don't bother claiming that you don't need to do it but I've always done it and my last turbo was still perfect after 250K miles, shame the rest of the truck rusted away around it ;-)
Are you 100% sure? According to the video(
) keeping an engine on to cool down a turbo is an old wives tale and does nothing?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'll stick with how I look after my engines regardless of what anybody else says. :)

Most people do such low annual mileage that they haven't got a clue as to the damage they are causing from the way they drive or their lack of care because they'll have got rid of the car before the problems start and it will be some poor sod that buys the car second hand who will have to pay.

I do high mileage and keep my vehicles for long periods, most of my pickup trucks have done 250K+ miles without needing any engine work, so I tend to be more concerned about long term reliability and economy than most. It is why I bought the 1.4T, it produces its torque at far lower rpm than the 1.0T so doesn't need to be revved high. The 1.0T will almost certainly suffer worn bores, pistons, rings and bearings long before the 1.4T from having to constantly rev it high to get its power. However it'll take 70K miles before problems appear by which time most people will have replaced the car. I may keep my Corsa for 10 years by which time it'll have done 200K+ miles, OK it may not last that long but I'd like to maximise its life expectancy :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with ian on that one,also I always let the engine idle for a bit from cold before pulling away to let the oil circulate

·
Registered
140 Posts
mud4fun said:

Perfect advice I have to do this on my mapped E, after a quick run or long drive I sit with the engine running for two minutes or it can burst the oil seals.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Normal. From what I can remember this has happened on every car I have ever driven over the past 14 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts