Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

So since the Corsa VXR was released I've really wanted to get it! Think that extra power would be brilliant! However, due to having a little baby now it wouldn't work well. Plus I am happy with the 1.4 Limited Edition.

BUT, I'm thinking about getting it remapped to get that extra power out of it. Basically I want to know if it's worth the money. So, will I notice the difference?

There's a really good tuning company near me and have quoted approximately £325 (£250 for map, £75 for dyno).

What's peoples thoughts on this?

Ta.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
For me it's more the implications that come with a remap - warranty loss, increased insurance etc. - those are the things to consider with a remap too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have considered these things and maybe I'm being a little anal but they don't really seem to be that big a deal to me. I've always been under the impression that if I get a remap, for example, and the rear window wiper stops working then the remap won't have affected this so effectively this cannot void the warranty. I did speak to Vauxhall directly about changing the whole head unit in my car to upgrade the sound system and asked if it would void the warranty. I thought it would have but I was advised it wouldn't.

With insurance, providing the company is informed, I can't see it being much? Surely it wouldn't exceed that of having an actual Corsa VXR insured??

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
D3RV15H said:
I have considered these things and maybe I'm being a little anal but they don't really seem to be that big a deal to me. I've always been under the impression that if I get a remap, for example, and the rear window wiper stops working then the remap won't have affected this so effectively this cannot void the warranty. I did speak to Vauxhall directly about changing the whole head unit in my car to upgrade the sound system and asked if it would void the warranty. I thought it would have but I was advised it wouldn't.

With insurance, providing the company is informed, I can't see it being much? Surely it wouldn't exceed that of having an actual Corsa VXR insured??
As long as you've considered them!

You'd be surprised - insurers sting you for modifications. It's 10% for adding go faster stripes!!

Id ring your insurer just to see what they'd quote - remember the VXR is stock, whereas yours will be 'heavily' modified in the eyes of an insurer.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
[/quote] You'd be surprised - insurers sting you for modifications. It's 10% for adding go faster stripes!!

i'v always felt that go fast stripes were over rated, never really work. where as a remap sounds a good idea ,if as limey says you'v weighed up all the pros and cons, is that sanspeed?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go faster stripes! Had them on my Fiat 500! Added a massive 1000bhp! Lol.

I've weighed them up and I think it'll be worth it. Providing the remap actually provides a significant difference. I'll still contract my insurance company though before doing anything.

Yea it's Sanspeed Anthony. My Dad takes his BMW there and a few people from work say they're decent too.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You should ask the performance centre to see what Torque it will output at 150 compared to 100, that's what will make you feel the difference really.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
You should ask the performance centre to see what Torque it will output at 150 compared to 100, that's what will make you feel the difference really.
I looked into this a few months ago and pretty sure that the lightweight 6 speed box fitted to the 1.4T and 1.0T has a maximum torque rating of 230Nm. The 1.4T 100PS is already close to that with its 200Nm.

It also explains why the 1.4T 150PS doesn't actually produce much more torque than the 100PS.

This is one example where a remap could cause a failure that would not be covered by warranty. If the gearbox wears out prematurely VX will almost certainly check for evidence of a remap. Having said that, I doubt a remap will give much increase in torque. It will probably just give increased power at higher rpm by removing the restriction.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmmm, interesting. Does seem like it's not really worth it then. It still is quite frustrating that a few months after releasing them they brought out the red/black editions with the 150bhp. Not that it would make heaps of difference but would just be nice to have.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
D3RV15H said:
Hmmmmm, interesting. Does seem like it's not really worth it then. It still is quite frustrating that a few months after releasing them they brought out the red/black editions with the 150bhp. Not that it would make heaps of difference but would just be nice to have.
I reckon its economy is worse though -so there's always that!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
liverpaul said:
I had a modded black edition behind me and gave it ago knowing I'm only 20bhp behind. Turns out it had 163bhp and it floored me so the difference is definitely there.
LOL, 63hp more is definitely going to make a difference. :)

Also remember though that the BE didn't have a restriction at 4K so would be able to pull higher revs and remain in a lower gear for longer. That will give a half second advantage in a 0-60 sprint I would have thought. I know from my own 1.4T that currently doesn't have a restriction, that it revs sweetly to 6K rpm and I've noticed the advantage of not having to change up so soon in certain overtakes.

I suspect though that the 163hp 1.4T couldn't get 70mpg on the motorway ;-)

The 150PS 1.4T in the new red/black edition has a stated 0-60 time of 8.7 seconds I think. Not hugely faster than my 1.4T. However the 150PS still shows an impressive 60+ mpg official extra urban so the ECU map must be setup for economy driving?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.