Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bright are the reverse lights on the new Corsa? I ask because the bulbs that my Ibiza came with were not very bright at all, and a lot of people upgraded to cree bulbs. I upgraded mine and they are really good for parking on my awkward driveway at night, so was wondering what the reverse lights are like on the Corsa!

·
Registered
152 Posts
well the E's have a reverse light on the right rear side which is quite bright doesnt seem to be replaced by a more powerfull option

i have a video recorded at night in which i test the rear lights and reverse light too if u want to i can upload it to youtube so you can see it

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes please, I would like to see that. Our reverse light is on the left in the UK, although the Corsa D I had 5 years ago had two reverse lights.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It's about as bright as any reverse light. Remember that It's only supposed to be bright enough to alert other drivers that you are driving, rather than to be used as a rear headlamp.

If you need to use it for visibility for your driveway, I recommend getting some solar powered garden lights for it - makes a lot of difference and it means you won't hit any walls! They're quite cheap too!

·
Registered
227 Posts
LimeyUK said:
It's about as bright as any reverse light. Remember that It's only supposed to be bright enough to alert other drivers that you are driving, rather than to be used as a rear headlamp.
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 said:
"Reversing lamp" A lamp used to illuminate the road to the rear of a vehicle for the purpose of reversing and to warn other road users that the vehicle is reversing or about to reverse.

8. Wattage-
(a) A reversing lamp bearing an approval mark:
No requirement
(b) A reversing lamp not bearing an approval mark:
The total wattage of any one reversing lamp shall not exceed 24 watts
So if you want to change your bulb to led, so long as it's not more than 24w you should be fine.
I find my reversing lights combined with the rear fogs a very good way to light up the road when reversing the car where I live..there's no street lighting yet and on cloudy or moonless nights its pitch black!

·
Registered
152 Posts
i'll upload the video so you can have a look then just gotta put it on youtube

*edit
it's a bit blurry but you can get an idea of how bright the light is

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I just use my hazards if it's that[\i] dark. I've never had a car in which the reverse light has been bright enough to warrant its use for visibility.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Must have had very dim lights then or lenses worn out... :lol: Not saying they will light up the street like a headlight, but 100% good for lighting up the area upto a couple of metres or so to be able to see where you're reversing.

The corsa has a nice feature to its reverse lighting, when reverse is selected with dipped beam on, apart from the reverse light, both cornering lights come on, very handy for parking.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:
Must have had very dim lights then or lenses worn out... :lol: Not saying they will light up the street like a headlight, but 100% good for lighting up the area upto a couple of metres or so to be able to see where you're reversing.

The corsa has a nice feature to its reverse lighting, when reverse is selected with dipped beam on, apart from the reverse light, both cornering lights come on, very handy for parking.
They probably were just dim bulbs, but the corsa is not much better tbh.

That's alright if you have cornering lights, which almost all models over here don't have as standard... How do the cornering lights help when reversing anyway?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well you'll be surprised, how much better light up the reversing area will be...ok it's not like having the headlights on, but you get both sides illuminated and light filters to the rear, combine that with the reverse light and sure enough you get sufficient lighting to see whats happening at the rear!
Will post a couple of pics later on tonight when I garage the car...

·
Registered
227 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Awesome. Will be interesting to see how much difference they make!
Took a couple of pics yesterday just to compare between different light settings.

This is my garage drive way in total darkness...the only light source is the car dome light:

Next is headlamps on dipped beam only:

Headlights dipped beam, cornering lights and reverse lights on:

Reverse light:

Enough light to see where you're reversing imho...at least for me this will do ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the pics! I think your driveway/parking may be even tighter than mine! You do have white walls though which helps visibility.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You bet it's tight! It's my wife's nightmare to get the car in the garage! She's always like, can you pleeese park my car :roll:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must take photos of mine one day! It's the other way around in my house - My hubby doesn't drive so I don't have a choice! :D Girl power! :D When my son was a learner, his car was always at the back of the drive, so I had to play musical cars to get mine out the way, get his out and then put mine back on the driveway! :lol: Glad he parks his own these days!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The reverse light will also prove to be much, much brighter and more effective in a garage than an open driveway too. Same with all lighting!

·
Registered
227 Posts
LimeyUK said:
The reverse light will also prove to be much, much brighter and more effective in a garage than an open driveway too. Same with all lighting!
Whatever...!
I must have a very good eyesight then if you still doubt the reverse light effectiveness as I find it more than adequate for anywhere I needed to park, be it in a garage or an open space...but then, that's me...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.