Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen a small article in the motoring pull out in today's paper saying the Fiesta has sold over 70,000 unitsa so far in 2015 compared with 50,000 Corsa, don't understand this, why are people buying Fiestas over Corsas, Fiestas are not very good, and even if they were the Corsa is far superior.

Also, how is it that no matter how bad Fords products are they always sell better than Vauxhalls no matter how good Vauxhalls offerings are, people and especially the media seem biased and blinded toward Ford products.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I told a colleague of mine that I'm getting a Corsa and the first thing he said was "I'd go for a Feista if I were you".. He said it's because Corsa's lose their value a lot quicker than a Feista would. I'm looking to keep my car for a while though, so that was my counter argument. He also said Feistas have a little more class when it comes to looks. Again I counterd this by saying the new Corsa has a very nice looking front and the back of the car looks miles better than before as it now looks more like the behind of an Astra.

Perhaps the whole " boy racer" vibe with the Corsa is off putting to some people? Of course there are al types of Corsa owners and all have different Corsa, but I think in general people don't think that kind of stuff when it comes to Ford... Plus the. Feistas interior is horrible, especially when compared with the Corsa E!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have heard Fiesta having terrible numbers of recall! Can't remember off the top of my head which engine but it seems 1st and 2nd gear in this specific engine shudder and problem sorted with clutch replace, however comes back after a few months? Seems there's no permanent fix? But then again it is a ford... Buy a ford, buy a hill I think the saying goes... (Source: Gossip from a friend who works in a ford garage)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It has nothing to do with private buyers though. Most Fords are registered by fleets. More Corsa's are bought by private buyers than Fiesta's so actually for people spending their own money the Corsa sells better than the Fiesta. However over 50% of cars on UK roads are fleet vehicles and Ford have a huge fleet support infrastructure and heavy fleet discounting etc.

Odd that sales of the E remain largely the same as the D was getting last year, you could look at that as failure or view it as the D was extremely popular. It was still 2nd highest selling car last year wasn't it? Can't really complain about that. What VX need is for the new Astra to steal sales away from the Focus. The Viva seems to be a waste of time as it is competing with the Corsa rather than against Ford or VW?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
It has nothing to do with private buyers though. Most Fords are registered by fleets. More Corsa's are bought by private buyers than Fiesta's so actually for people spending their own money the Corsa sells better than the Fiesta. However over 50% of cars on UK roads are fleet vehicles and Ford have a huge fleet support infrastructure and heavy fleet discounting etc.

Odd that sales of the E remain largely the same as the D was getting last year, you could look at that as failure or view it as the D was extremely popular. It was still 2nd highest selling car last year wasn't it? Can't really complain about that. What VX need is for the new Astra to steal sales away from the Focus. The Viva seems to be a waste of time as it is competing with the Corsa rather than against Ford or VW?
The VIva is not competing with the Corsa. It is competing with the likes of the VW Up!, Seat Mii, Citigo etc. It is the Agila's replacement. It's a true 'city car' according to VX.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes I know in theory it is to compete with them however whereas the old Agila was hideous, the Viva is quite attractive and it will have many of the features of the Corsa but is thousands cheaper. Surely will tempt some people away from the lower end Corsa's into a top end Viva?

And the sort of people to buy VW's are unlikely to switch to VX as they pay a premium for badge snobbery even in the cr*ppest VW's ;-)

I will actually admit to configuring the Viva the other day. Get quite a decent car for a tiny monthly payment. Thinking for my eldest daughter who was considering a Corsa!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yes I know in theory it is to compete with them however whereas the old Agila was hideous, the Viva is quite attractive and it will have many of the features of the Corsa but is thousands cheaper. Surely will tempt some people away from the lower end Corsa's into a top end Viva?

And the sort of people to buy VW's are unlikely to switch to VX as they pay a premium for badge snobbery even in the cr*ppest VW's ;-)

I will actually admit to configuring the Viva the other day. Get quite a decent car for a tiny monthly payment. Thinking for my eldest daughter who was considering a Corsa!
I was originally looking at a Viva just before they were released, due to all its gadgetry for its price - but then I found I could afford a Corsa, so went that route :lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
92jas said:
I told a colleague of mine that I'm getting a Corsa and the first thing he said was "I'd go for a Feista if I were you".. He said it's because Corsa's lose their value a lot quicker than a Feista would. I'm looking to keep my car for a while though, so that was my counter argument. He also said Feistas have a little more class when it comes to looks. Again I counterd this by saying the new Corsa has a very nice looking front and the back of the car looks miles better than before as it now looks more like the behind of an Astra.

Perhaps the whole " boy racer" vibe with the Corsa is off putting to some people? Of course there are al types of Corsa owners and all have different Corsa, but I think in general people don't think that kind of stuff when it comes to Ford... Plus the. Feistas interior is horrible, especially when compared with the Corsa E!
This, Corsa's value almost halves in the first year really... Which is why I got mine on lease rather than owning it because I couldn't bare the thought of paying for something that dwindles that much. I don't really like fords, they're a bit cluttered - like stated.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Curious though. Like for like the Fiesta is more expensive than the Corsa so yes it is worth more after 3 years but it cost more so the depreciation is not as bad when you factor in finance costs, especially if you are not getting zero %. All new cars lose loads of money in first year. My Dad had many executive and performance cars over his life and I've had a few myself and they still lose eye watering value in first year. :-(

If you are worried about depreciation then either buy a nearly new car or keep the car over much longer period so it levels out.

I think the boy racer image of the Corsa may well be closer to the truth than you'd think. The Fiesta is not as youthful in looks as the Corsa and even in bodykitted form don't really stand out much from the standard cars, quite boring actually. Whereas the bodykitted Corsa's often in bright colours stand out in any supermarket car park. Joe public may well just be associating the Corsa with those highly visible brightly coloured LE's and not always in a good way. Next time you are in a large Tesco car park take a look over the whole car park, nearly all fiestas of every trim just blend in whereas the Corsa LE's can be seen miles away! :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mud4fun said:
Curious though. Like for like the Fiesta is more expensive than the Corsa so yes it is worth more after 3 years but it cost more so the depreciation is not as bad when you factor in finance costs, especially if you are not getting zero %. All new cars lose loads of money in first year. My Dad had many executive and performance cars over his life and I've had a few myself and they still lose eye watering value in first year. :-(

If you are worried about depreciation then either buy a nearly new car or keep the car over much longer period so it levels out.

I think the boy racer image of the Corsa may well be closer to the truth than you'd think. The Fiesta is not as youthful in looks as the Corsa and even in bodykitted form don't really stand out much from the standard cars, quite boring actually. Whereas the bodykitted Corsa's often in bright colours stand out in any supermarket car park. Joe public may well just be associating the Corsa with those highly visible brightly coloured LE's and not always in a good way. Next time you are in a large Tesco car park take a look over the whole car park, nearly all fiestas of every trim just blend in whereas the Corsa LE's can be seen miles away! :)
I agree although I'd say also SRis in bright colours stand out too (I'm talking about Ds here because the E is so new theres not a huge amount about) but I'd imagine the same will be true of E VX-Lines in bright colours too.

I think Ford have shot themselves in the foot with the Fiesta facelift. It was a much nicer looking car in the prefacelift and I actually really seriously considered a prefacelift Titanium with dress up kit (the styling kit from the Zetec S added as an option) but at the time I had not long bought my Clio and it wouldve been very expensive to switch to the Fiesta, could still have afforded it but it didn't make sense, by the time it did make sense the newest reg prefacelifts were too old, also the 5 door Fiesta isnt a great looking car, most supermini size cars look better in 3 door and admittedly the 5 door Corsa isnt brilliant looking but its a damn site better than a 3 door Fiesta, also the fact they don't, or at least ive never seen a 5 door Fiesta with the bodykit, the way Vauxhall do with the 5 door LE and VX Line.

Also, I would actually buy a Viva, not only because of how it looks, the interior and the spec they have but for the first time it's actually a proper Vauxhall, or at least GM, product and not a rebadged Suzuki with some slight tweaks, which had horrible interiors, but I actually like Vauxhall interiors, not just the style of them but I actually like Vauxhall switchgear and so on, even from old models, it just feels right to me, I think that's the reason most of my cars have been Vauxhalls and any time I move into another make of car I always come back to Vauxhalls, the only thing that would put me off is that it's only a 1 litre engine, I'd want something with a bit more poke, the 1.4 from my Corsa would be ideal in the Viva.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm seeing alot of fleet and hire fiestas on the roads just now but not seen one new E hire car or fleet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts