Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to do to retain the DAB radio yet fit a sat nav to my gf's 1.0 turbo? Has anyone done this already?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
1.0turbo said:
What do I need to do to retain the DAB radio yet fit a sat nav to my gf's 1.0 turbo? Has anyone done this already?
Bear in mind also the Corsa intellilink screen is not sat nav enabled. It needs a crappy phone app called BringGo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the free sat nav packages?

I know BringGo is only £50-60, but that fee should've been paid for by Vauxhall (ok I'm a tight old git).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Old guy in a Corsa said:
Has anyone tried any of the free sat nav packages?

I know BringGo is only £50-60, but that fee should've been paid for by Vauxhall (ok I'm a tight old git).
I don't know of any free sat nav packages?

BringGo is horrific. It is the worst sat nav system I have ever used, it really is. It's so slow, the instructions come way too late and the maps are old too.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I haven't even bothered with any of the apps on the Intellilink! I have an Android phone that I may use for Google maps at some point but I have a Garmin sat nav anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Just type free sat nav in the Google play store.

Not too sure about iphone stuff, but there must be something - isn't there?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Old guy in a Corsa said:
LimeyUK said:
Just type free sat nav in the Google play store.

Not too sure about iphone stuff, but there must be something - isn't there?
Ohhh, sorry, I thought you meant for intellilink.

I just use Maps on iPhone, and Android has its own one too, Google Navigation.

You can get Google Nav for iOS if wanted too.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I use my Here+ sat nav app on my Nokia phone. It is far superior to the intellink app. I have a large screen phone mounted to my windscreen in a RAM xgrip on a suction mount so is actually easier and safer to view while driving than looking down at the intellilink. The mobile phone apps voice plays through the cars sound system and automatically mutes the music (either radio or USB). Here+ came free with my phone and included free unlimited european map cover and the maps are stored on the phone so you don't use a data connection while driving.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Vauxhall could have done so much more with the infotainment system in the Corsa, without much difficulty. I was driving an Insignia SRi Nav yesterday with Intellilink fitted and it had a sat Nav built in which was pretty good and can even display the guidance and turns as well as on the screen itself in the central display between where the rev counter and speedo are where the digital speedo is on the Corsa.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
hendry said:
Vauxhall could have done so much more with the infotainment system in the Corsa, without much difficulty. I was driving an Insignia SRi Nav yesterday with Intellilink fitted and it had a sat Nav built in which was pretty good and can even display the guidance and turns as well as on the screen itself in the central display between where the rev counter and speedo are where the digital speedo is on the Corsa.
Would have been too much effort and too much of an extra cost for them to bother on such a low-spec, low-cost car. They have obviously just shoved the cheapest working version of intelilink in the corsa, just so they can use it as a selling point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the replies will get her a new Tom Tom

I did find it odd that they didn't have a cd slot with the dab radio

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I thought I would miss the cd slot but I don't! I have all my music on a usb drive. Only thing is you can't scroll between albums using the steering wheel controls (unless you want to get an rsi in your thumb).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
hendry said:
That's because the insignia is expensive and they can afford to put such systems in. It probably Vauxhall way too much to warrant them putting it in a cheap car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LimeyUK said:
hendry said:
That's because the insignia is expensive and they can afford to put such systems in. It probably Vauxhall way too much to warrant them putting it in a cheap car.
Shame that the dash isn't the same shape to take it as a retrofit

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
1.0turbo said:
Cheers for the replies will get her a new Tom Tom

I did find it odd that they didn't have a cd slot with the dab radio
you still own CDs?! My first records were shellac 78's but this pensioner left CDs behind a couple of years ago!

ipod rules.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I still own CDs, although most of them have been ripped to MP3 format for making MP3 CD's for previous cars, and now I have all my music stored on a usb flash drive. Hubby still loves CDs but he also loves DAB radio so he's happy with that! I think I will try Google Maps at some point via my phone just to see what it's like as I already have a Garmin sat nav.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Google maps now has offline map storage if the phone has enough RAM.
It shows real time traffic speeds as green or red lines (using drivers Android phone tracking) which also means it tells you the quickest route based on current traffic.
it's brilliant. its free.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I didn't know that! Thank you! I might have to get a suction cradle for my phone and use taht instead of the Garmin. How does Google maps compare when navigating? I have junction view on my sat nav which is useful!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts