Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, how are people finding the comfort of the seats during a long journey? Comfortable or not?

Also should I get the LE or Excite? Does the LE'a sport suspension improve handing noticeably but with a compromise on comfort? Or should I get the excite for ultimate comfort?

Roads in Lincolnshire are full of pot holes lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
I live in North Lincolnshire and the ride in my Sting is fine both on my own and when I have the wife and 3 kids in there too. I agree about the state of the roads round here they are really bad. I had to have springs replaced on my last two cars due top the potholes. :evil:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the LE with sports suspension and find it quite comfy. It can get a bit uncomfortable on a very long journey (i'm talking after 2 hours or so). However i have never driven the Excite so cannot offer a comparison. Personally the LE is the better choice as the sportier styling kit makes the car look much better (particularly the 17inch alloys), have had many compliments on them.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Excite is ridiculously comfy, plus it looks great - especially with the right colour and wheels :)

Plus, you have the sight and light, and winter packs as standard to further increase the comfort and convenience. The LE is stripped right down just to make way for a bodykit, so you could either add the packs to the LE or add a bodykit to the Excite. I believe the former is cheaper though!

I have black alloys on my Excite, makes a lot of difference to its look, especially as its lime green.

·
Registered
122 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Excite is ridiculously comfy, plus it looks great - especially with the right colour and wheels :)

Plus, you have the sight and light, and winter packs as standard to further increase the comfort and convenience. The LE is stripped right down just to make way for a bodykit, so you could either add the packs to the LE or add a bodykit to the Excite. I believe the former is cheaper though!

I have black alloys on my Excite, makes a lot of difference to its look, especially as its lime green.
Agree about the black alloys, tend to stand out way more than chrome :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The seats are not that comfortable on a very long drive. I've done 300 miles today in mine and my bum is sore! They are nowhere near as comfortable as my old jap pickup or even my old Land Rovers. After a couple of hours it feels like the springs are cutting into you so you have to move about in the seats alot to get comfortable.

The sports chassis on the LE is superb. It rides smoothly over rough roads and is not even that harsh over speed bumps etc. I'm also in North Lincolnshire and the roads are indeed dire even up here but I've not had any issues. It is a significant improvement over the comfort chassis when pushing it on country lanes. HOWEVER the 215/45R17 tyres that come with the sports chassis are very noisy, made worse because the cabin is eerily silent as the engine is so quiet so it tends to highlight the tyre noise more.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
The seats are not that comfortable on a very long drive. I've done 300 miles today in mine and my bum is sore! They are nowhere near as comfortable as my old jap pickup or even my old Land Rovers. After a couple of hours it feels like the springs are cutting into you so you have to move about in the seats alot to get comfortable.

The sports chassis on the LE is superb. It rides smoothly over rough roads and is not even that harsh over speed bumps etc. I'm also in North Lincolnshire and the roads are indeed dire even up here but I've not had any issues. It is a significant improvement over the comfort chassis when pushing it on country lanes. HOWEVER the 215/45R17 tyres that come with the sports chassis are very noisy, made worse because the cabin is eerily silent as the engine is so quiet so it tends to highlight the tyre noise more.
The Excite seats will be far comfier than LE/SRi ones as they have bolsters and are really only suitable for very skinny people, also the backrest has a "lumbar" bit which digs into the lower back.

It is not just the 215/45/17 tyres which are noisy either, the 195/55/16s on my car are very rumbly as well, it must be something to do with the Continental ContiEcoContact 5 tyres.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
No, nothing to do with bolsters or the back. It is the cushion base which is very thin compared to most cars/trucks I've driven. After 4-5 hours driving the foam sags so that there is no real cushioning left for your bum. I spent 8 hours driving yesterday and another 3 hours this morning and my backside is sore. In comparison I have driven from Hull to Plymouth and back in one day before in a pickup truck and had no aches or pains at all. The Corsa seats are just very poor in comparison. However to be fair to VX the car is not really intended or designed for motorway munching.

Sadly I'm on a 3 day training course in Brum so by end of week I'll have racked up nearly 1K miles of motorway mikes. She seems to be handling the long journeys fine other than seat comfort. She managed an actual 52mpg on the last tank (computer showed 54) despite close to 300 miles of that being done at 70+ mph!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drove to the Netherlands last month in my 1.2 Sting, didn't have any comfort issues. Was in the car for 7 hours straight. Be the same if you were to drive a fiesta, polo punto etc. Not a motorway cruiser by nature though, if long drives are regular maybe something like the insignia is more practical?
Depends on the person though of course but in my experience its really quite a comfortable car to drive in general.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Me and my brother took the corsa to london from newcastle and we were comfortable the whole journey. The sports suspension would have helped a bit but there were no huge discomforts with the seats, and that was a 5 and a half hour journey roughly.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The thing is, each of us will have a different interpretation of what comfortable is. It will depend on lots of things including our weight and cars we've previously experienced. In my personal experience of doing long trips in over 200 cars the Corsa would be closer to the bottom than to the top for comfort of seats.

·
Registered
961 Posts
To be honest, most Vauxhall seats are uncomfortable in my experience, irrespective of the cars age, trim, model etc.

I've owned and driven either through work or relatives/friends cars hundreds of different Vauxhalls, the later ones have ergonomic sports seats which have won awards for driver comfort and they are appalling IMO. Corsa D, Astra J, Insignia, Vectra C seats are majorly uncomfortable, as are Corsa C and Astra H "base model seats" but the sports seats in my Corsa C SXi and half leather sports seats in my Astra H Design were amazing. Older ones were awful too like my Astra G, Vectra Bs, Cavaliers, Corsa Bs and so on. For a brief period from 2001 - 2004 when the Corsa C and Astra H were introduced with sports seats they were making progress, now as bad as ever again.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think I was spoilt because I had a Peugeot 405GTX estate that had the most amazing seats, they were like armchairs that you could sit in for days on end. After that most car seats felt like slabs of concrete! ;-)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
agoodley said:
Not a motorway cruiser by nature though, if long drives are regular maybe something like the insignia is more suitable .
Yes very true and in an ideal world I would be driving a 5 series BMW for eating up motorway miles but sadly finances and circumstances meant downsizing to something economical AND cheap.

While the seats aren't the best, the mpg I'm getting from my 1.4T is stunning and puts the Corsa as the most economical car I've driven of those 200+ cars despite it being petrol not diesel! To achieve the same economy (60-70mpg on motorway) and performance from an Insignia sized car I'd almost certainly need a large diesel and then the overall costs of loan, fuel, insurance and maintenance would far exceed what I could afford. The Corsa is very much a compromise between my ideal car and what our finances can afford. It succeeds very well indeed in most respects so while not ideal for motorway it is acceptable given it is not really designed for it. :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mud, I think you would struggle to get that sort of mpg out of a diesel Insignia, we have the 2.0 CDTi Ecoflex SRis, some 130bhps, some 160s or 163/165 whatever it now is and the mpg is poor, we sometimes do 100+ miles to Carlisle from Glasgow and so on and the mpg is poor despite constant motorway at 70mph, this is vindicated by what ive read on the Insignia forums (looked into getting one before the Corsa as I like bigger cars generally)

Also I agree about French car seats, once you've owned one no other car comes close for comfort, particularly those with solid Germanic lumps for seats.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Thanks Hendry, that confirms my suspicions. I also know somebody with a diesel Astra and they aren't getting very good mpg either. In fact the diesel Corsa's aren't getting great mpg either compared to these latest turbo petrols. A few years ago if somebody had said they were getting 70-90mpg from the diesel Corsa we would all be awestruck, now however both the 1.0T and 1.4T petrols are capable of getting 70mpg as several of us have proved and petrol is cheaper to buy at the pump and have cheaper maintenance costs so a diesel doing 70mpg is really no more cost effective than a petrol doing 64mpg.

However I should clarify that I only get 70mpg when crawling along at 56mph. At 60mph I only get 65mpg and at 70mph it drops to about 50mpg.

I suspect a diesel Corsa driven at a steady 56mph will probably get 100mpg? Of course it is unlikely to beat my 1.4T in a race though ;-) So I have good mpg AND performance, the diesel just has great mpg....

BTW I have now done the same journey three days in a row, same time of day and at same speed but on the days when weather has been sunny and dry I've averaged 62mpg, today I had fog and gusty conditions so I had to use heater, heated screens, all lights including fog lamps and half journey was into a light headwind and mpg for that journey dropped to 55mpg!.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My mpg hasn't been brilliant, over the 1750 miles the car has done, the dash computer is saying bang on 40mpg, and since last time I fuelled 45.3mpg, I never fill up, I always put £40 in and put the same in again when then light comes on as this is usually 2 weeks worth of fuel.

2 things are apparent, 1. When I refill I always check my range and the figure given is always far higher than the miles I end up getting 2. The bars of fuel go down very quickly without much mileage being covered, as an example, last time I put £40 in from the light coming on, the gauge briefly went to full but after a couple of miles dropped a bar, its now at 2 bars after about 150 miles, so its lost 5 bars in 150miles of driving, so an average of 30miles per bar, yet the computer reckons there's still another 150miles of fuel left before refuelling is needed, which would mean the last 2 bars lasting 85 miles each, bizarre!

Despite the mpg being poor, it is mostly stop start rush hour driving I do, so to be expected and probably wouldn't be much better in a diesel, not only this but with the small mileage I do I doubt it would be worth it to buy a diesel, would take a long time to recoup the extra cost of buying the car in fuel savings, plus that sort of mileage/driving isn't ideal for a diesel, plus I don't have to worry about failure of components in diesel cars designed to make them cleaner, more economical, and better to drive which are under a lot of stress and common failure items like EGR valves, alternators, dual mass flywheels, inlet manifolds/swirl flaps, gearbox issues and so on. Plus the insurance isn't any more for the petrol and the tax on mine is only £30 so that diesel isn't any cheaper there either. I think diesel only really makes sense in bigger cars that with petrol engines have appalling mpg, for example, my dad runs a 2009 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 140bhp as a taxi, and previously ran a 2005 Vectra 2.0 DTi, he needs a big car for that job, had he bought a 1.6 n/a or 2.0 TSi Jetta or a 1.8 n/a or 2.2 direct petrol the mpg would be shocking as opposed to poor.

I was actually looking at 1.6 TDi CR Ibiza's and Leon's before the Corsa and in hindsight I'm glad I bought another petrol and not sure why I was contemplating a diesel, not least because for a similar spec to the Corsa they were 9 grand plus at 3 years old, Corsa was only 2k more new.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hendry, I always brim my tank. It doesn't cost you any more because you'll still be using the same amount of fuel but at least you can then monitor actual mpg rather than trust the computer which in my experience can be as much as 10% overreading depending on journey type and speed.

My bars drop consistently and evenly however they do drop faster than you'd expect from the mpg reading because the reserve (once red light comes on) is huge!!

I've just got down to Birmingham this morning and my trip is showing 437 miles done since filling up 1.5 days ago. It shows an avg 58mpg and I'm on the last white bar. However range is showing 160 miles and in my experience that is quite accurate for me. The red light will come on when range drops to 100 and I normally fill up at that point which then takes approx 40 litres. I'll fill up on my way home tonight so will probably have done about 480 miles on this tank, with 100 miles still left in reserve!

My bum and lower back are now really sore though after 1000 miles in 3 days :-(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.