Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys whilst looking for something earlier I decided to tidy all my paperwork up including all the stuff for the car and as you do, I ended up flicking through the car stuff, :lol: I was flicking through the service booklet and first of all noticed on the sections which get stamped every time the car is serviced, it has a place for the mileage, date, dealer stamp, grade of oil used, temp the coolant protects down to and a yes/no tick list of items like remote keyfob battery, pollen filter, toothed belt, air cleaner element, brake fluid and so on but there's also an "oil type used" and 4 types listed with a box to tick for whatever is used, theres dexos 1, dexos 2, GM LL-A-025A and GM LL-A-025-B now a bit of googling suggests Dexos 1 is only used in North America so not sure why it's listed in the service book for a car to my knowledge not sold there, it also suggests Dexos 2 oil meets GM LL-A-025-A and B specification, the A and B at the end signifying petrol or diesel engine. And vice versa that all oils sold meeting GM LL-A-025 are automatically Dexos 2 because they can't meet that spec without being Dexos 2.

A bit confused then as to why the options suggests there are 4 different types of oil that can be used when in effect they are all one and the same. :?

Secondly, in addition to the sections for filling in and stamping each time the car is serviced there is another section further on in the service book for "additional oil and filter change" records. Again I'm confused, because if you service the car every year or 20K miles or each time the oil life %age gets to 0% and the car tells you to change engine oil soon why would you need to perform any additional oil and filter changes in between services if you are servicing the car as per the oil life display or service intervals specified?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think it is because you do not have to fully service the car when the oil life gets to 0.

You just need to change the oil and filter.

You need to fully service the car every year or 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joeboy said:
I think it is because you do not have to fully service the car when the oil life gets to 0.

You just need to change the oil and filter.

You need to fully service the car every year or 20,000 miles.
I originally did think that myself Joe, but the yearly/20K service every other year is just an oil and filter change basically. Years 1, 3, 5 and so on are just a "minor/interim" service IE basically an oil and filter change plus a load of checks you can do yourself like tyre pressure, tread and condition, lights, wiper blades, and so on, only years 2, 4, 6 and so on are the main/major/proper service where all the filters, oil air and pollen get changed, keyfob batteries, and possibly brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The form used for the servicing will be used for GM/VX/Opel all over the world, so regardless of if your car is made there, it will have listings of all territories.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts