Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bad smell from heater / aircon when fan is switched on. I have a new pollen filter ready to fit, but would like to know the best way to eradicate the smell. I am thinking of using regular worktop cleaner which is supposed to kill 99.9% of bacteria, instead of the more expensive aerosol which contains propane etc. I know you need to have the engine running, then aircon and heater on full blast, open all windows, but how and where do I get the spray into the ventilation system?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually that was a very useful video many thanks. From the video I get that you need to hit the air recirculation button and the airflow is from under the dash and out of the dash vents. Rather than use this STP stuff, I think I will try this setup but just spray worktop cleaner under the dash to see if that works. (y)

·
Super Moderator
217 Posts
There are a few different versions of the air con bomb but they all work on the same principal you put the A/C on recirculate and the fan on full start the bomb then close the door it basically sucks the air and cleaner through the whole system for 10 minutes killing all bacteria and freshening the system

·
Super Moderator
217 Posts
Actually that was a very useful video many thanks. From the video I get that you need to hit the air recirculation button and the airflow is from under the dash and out of the dash vents. Rather than use this STP stuff, I think I will try this setup but just spray worktop cleaner under the dash to see if that works. (y)
I wouldn't do that household cleaners are not designed for this job and contain some nasty stuff you are going to breath this in when you use the A/C, better to find the cheapest A/C bomb if money is tight.

£6.95 posted -

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just read a few reviews and some say the STP cleaner works and others say it doesn't. They all say it has a very strong perfume smell to mask the bad smell, which lasts a very long time. I think my original idea could work and to get rid of any harmful residual chemicals, I plan leaving the aircon on full blast long enough to dry them out and then do the same with the heater. Any idea which side under the dash the air intake is.

·
Super Moderator
217 Posts
There are many other versions of the AC bomb i only posted this one as its easy to get hold of.

You are going to have to be in the car to spray the household cleaner into the vent and its going to be coming out of the others when you spray it i really don't think its a good idea but it seems you are determined to do it anyway so good luck and i will leave it there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts