Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April was not a good month for Corsa registrations :-(

Only 5000 registered vs 10000 Fiesta's.

Seems very low even compared to last years Corsa D registrations in April 2014. Is this because of supply issue? I can find very little to fault with mine. Performance and real world economy are both superior to the fiesta's that I've driven so not sure why the Corsa E is not selling in higher volumes. :?:

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2015/05/new-car-buyers-go-to-the-polls-confident-as-april-registrations-hit-10-year-high/

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yep pretty poor, however, this is good news for is surely, the less common the Corsa is the better as I know I don't want my car to be as common a site on the roads as the Corsa D was to the point you get sick of looking at them.

Maybe the Fiesta is on deals/discount as its an old model due for replacement shortly, and I'd guess the majority of people buying small cars buy for value for money over styling, features, nicer interior etc. As they just want a cheap car. I was reminded when I visited a Ford dealer earlier today just how horrid and nasty the base model Fiestas are.

I'm also shocked by how bad the Astra is selling, I always thought they sold much better than that and old Corsa, Fiesta and Focus sols better than it, its a shock that small prestige cars like A3s (which aren't that great and poorly equipped) costing thousands more are selling better.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
May be people are hanging to see what the new viva is like,also there should be a new astra by the end of the year

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The odd thing is that when I road tested a fiesta back in December it was actually more expensive by £2K than the Corsa LE I ended up buying for roughly the same spec other than the engine as Ford don't do the equivalent of the 1.4T. They have the smaller capacity 3cyl equivalent of our 1.0T which is not great for motorway use and gets poor mpg or they have the bigger 1.6 which is better for motorway but which is dire on fuel. I did a long motorway run in a new fiesta late last year and it fell way short of its official figure. My 1.4T Corsa driven over the same route in similar conditions gets 15-20mpg better economy! Clearly people buying Fiesta's aren't bothered about fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anthony said:
May be people are hanging to see what the new viva is like,also there should be a new astra by the end of the year
Yeah, they will be competing with themselves with the Viva, Corsa and Adam all small cars. There must be a bit of overlap between the models which will takes sales away from one to the other?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I do like the few Adam's I have seen when they drive past, but they are only 3 door. Certainly, when I looked into getting an E all the turbo engines were factory orders, so maybe, like you said, they underestimated demand.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would guess that April is always a bit slower after the mad rush for the 15 plates in March?

I'm one of the April 5000! :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spongebob said:
I would guess that April is always a bit slower after the mad rush for the 15 plates in March?

Yes true but Ford still managed to shift twice as many fiesta's. Shame those SMMT figures don't break them down into private and fleet registrations as it may explain the high registration figures for premium small cars.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
spongebob said:

Yes true but Ford still managed to shift twice as many fiesta's. Shame those SMMT figures don't break them down into private and fleet registrations as it may explain the high registration figures for premium small cars.
I also think now that the Corsa figure will be hugely Inflated, ive just been on Arnold Clark's website, and compared to the amount of Es they had for sale when I bought mine in March when there were only a couple of 64 plates, there's now loads of them all pre reg on 15 plates and I wonder how many Halshaws, Peter Vardy and all the other groups down South will have pre regd to make targets also.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I just found the SMMT new car registrations for April 2014 and it seems that the Corsa didn't figure highly then either, finishing in 4th place.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2014/05/april-new-car-registrations-2014/

YTD figures seem much better this year with 35K Corsa E's registered in first 4 months, 2nd only to the Fiesta at 50K.

The Corsa YTD figures are up approx 20% compared to last year whereas the Fiesta shows no growth, shows no drop though either!

I must admit, I've not seen that many E's about yet but have seen stacks of 15 plate Fiesta's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hendry said:
mud4fun said:
spongebob said:

I also think now that the Corsa figure will be hugely Inflated, ive just been on Arnold Clark's website, and compared to the amount of Es they had for sale when I bought mine in March when there were only a couple of 64 plates, there's now loads of them all pre reg on 15 plates and I wonder how many Halshaws, Peter Vardy and all the other groups down South will have pre regd to make targets also.
mine was pre reg from arnold clark. got it for 2k less than list so happy with it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Liverpaul, what was the reason you ended up going with the Corsa rather than Fiesta, just cost?

For me it was the 1.4T's performance and economy which Ford can't match. It seemed to me that you can either have performance or economy with the fiesta but not both. Having driven a new zetec s only 6 months ago on my commute it didn't get close to its claimed mpg whereas the Vauxhall 1.4T is exceeding it claimed mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts