Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month or so of problems with Dafny I'm pleased to report that she is still achieving great mpg (the main reason we bought her) and she has now done 13K miles since April.

I have been testing her on several fuels over long distance and surprisingly despite running two full tanks of VPower through her I achieved quite poor mpg on it even though the engine sounded quieter, ran smoother and seemed more free revving. Over 800 miles she got a rather dismal 52mpg on Vpower. Odd that Shell VPower diesel gives the best mpg in our Land Rovers and most other diesel vehicles we've driven but those engines have been specifically tuned for high octane diesel. Either VPower petrol is not as good as the Vpower diesel or the Corsa is simply not capable of extracting the benefit of the higher octane fuel.

I then switched to BP standard unleaded and got an almost immediate improvement (within a 100 miles) and over 400 miles she averaged a much healthier 57mpg AND for the first time in 32 fillups her actual mpg on fuelly was higher than the trip computer reading!!!

This is her TC on the BP std unleaded (mostly motorway, A road and rural country lanes)

Speedometer Gauge Trip computer Odometer Steering part

Then tonight I was passing a Shell garage and filled her with Shell Fuel Save unleaded and drove 100 miles back home on mostly motorway, A road and rural lanes. She achieved a great 66mpg!! :)

Not quite as good as my previous best of 73mpg but that was in perfect conditions in daytime with no electrics on and on clear roads. This trip was all night driving with lights, heater and wipers on in horrible weather with gale force winds, torrential rain and big traffic jams on the motorway.

Font Gadget Technology Auto part Multimedia

Not bad for a petrol engine :cool: :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good news mate!
I've been playing too and for 60 to the gallon on a trip from home (brigg) to ikea(Leeds) about 58 mile each way on BP fuel. More than happy with that. I agree for petrol engines the mpg figures are great. I know you have the turbo and mines the n/a but both are able to pull great mpg. I think VX have a good car with a good engine.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Klesmy :)

Agreed, good cars and the 1.4's in the E are great engines.

I also got several compliments today about Dafnys colour. It stands out a mile in our works car park which is packed with 100+ BMW's, Audis and Mercs in BORING black, silver and greys. Dafny was the only car in the car park in a nice bright colour. One of the workman was asking about the colour as he quite fancied one himself in that colour, he was shocked to discover VX had discontinued it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Glad you are feeling happier with Dafny again! She really is a limited edition!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LeachiE said:
Glad you are feeling happier with Dafny again! She really is a limited edition!
Thanks Leachie. Despite the faults I still think the E is a good car overall and in 1.4T form is a superb motorway cruising car (for a small vehicle), long legged 6th gear and loads of torque makes for effortless and relaxed commutes. I've got used to disabling the S/S whenever I get in now and have not suffered any more near death experience. ;-)

We downsized from big pickup trucks mainly to save money on fuel and Dafny's petrol engine is averaging nearly double the mpg of my previous diesel pickup so I'm really pleased. I can put up with a few faults as long as she continues to deliver great low running costs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have seen her (quickly in traffic ) and yes she is a great colour. (Saw Ian too)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a side note Klesmy, I could do with visiting Ikea. I'm after one of their tall glass display cases for my model aircraft. Is Leeds the nearest?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Mine has stuttered a bit at junctions a couple of times, but not cut out. I think that is more down to me not revving high enough as I've not had her that long yet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah Leeds is closest I went on s Saturday morning. Got up and on, there at 9:30 no traffic. Just under an hour each way easy to find too

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Klesmy said:
Yeah Leeds is closest I went on s Saturday morning. Got up and on, there at 9:30 no traffic. Just under an hour each way easy to find too
Ace, thanks! Will pay them a visit. :)

Will have to go in Land Rover though (top speed 50mph) as I don't think the display cases will fit in Dafny. I need two of them and they are 6 feet tall.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Take the landrover you've got no hope of fitting them in dafny. I miss our Mpv it was like a van when I took the rear seats out

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, the only reason I downsized from the big 4x4 pickup truck to the Corsa for my daily driver was because we had the classic Land Rover (actually 4 of them) so still retained the ability for collecting big items are carting rubbish to tip or for getting about in snow. There is no way we could have downsized if it was our only car. Dafny's 50+mpg makes up for the 25mpg of the Land Rovers ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts