Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I pick my corsa le tomorrow, I was just told that is it doesn't come with a spare tyre, I phoned my local dealer they want £250, I was just wondering if I can haut but a spare, but what size do I need to buy to fit the le 17"

·
Registered
455 Posts
You'd need a locking wheel nut key (if it has one), jack, wrench as far as I'm aware that would be all you'd need

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You can get a spare miles cheaper than that - a full kit in fact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size do I need to get, I have a jack, but hair wondering what size wheel and tyre will I nee.

That's for the quick replys

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was wondering, that £250 surely includes the kit as that would be insanely priced without the tools to come with it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Even with tools, £250 is ridiculous.

You will want a 16" minimum. That would effectively be a spacesaver. But if i were you, i'd go for a full size 17". It would mean you won't have to travel at 50mph, and you could keep it on for as long as needed rather than get it off as soon as possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will want a 16" minimum. That would effectively be a spacesaver. But if i were you, i'd go for a full size 17". It would mean you won't have to travel at 50mph, and you could keep it on for as long as needed rather than get it off as soon as possible.
Why would he need a 17" rim? For a spare wheel I'd get a 15" steel wheel with a 185/65 R15 tire, and you can drive as fast as you want. A 215/45 R17 tire will have the same circumference as a 185/65 R15 tire so should be fine - no point spending extra money for something which is hidden in the trunk most of the time ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Because even on a full size 15" with same diameter as the 17" its still classed as temporary and you arent really meant to go above 50mph on that either.

My last car was a Clio with 16" alloys and the spare was a full size 15" and had a warning sticker on saying to not go above 50mph.

You could probably pick up a full size 17" alloy off a Corsa D dirt cheap for use as a spare.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Because even on a full size 15" with same diameter as the 17" its still classed as temporary and you arent really meant to go above 50mph on that either.

My last car was a Clio with 16" alloys and the spare was a full size 15" and had a warning sticker on saying to not go above 50mph.

You could probably pick up a full size 17" alloy off a Corsa D dirt cheap for use as a spare.
That depends on what tire you get, not aware of any T coded (temporary or spare) tires with a 185/65 R15 or 215/45 R17 sizes, but I could be mistaken.
A 15" wheel with a 185/65 R15 88T tire will be up for the job, a full size 17" will be fine as well...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:

That depends on what tire you get, not aware of any T coded (temporary or spare) tires with a 185/65 R15 or 215/45 R17 sizes, but I could be mistaken.
A 15" wheel with a 185/65 R15 88T tire will be up for the job, a full size 17" will be fine as well...
Having a smaller wheel, irrelevant of the profile of the tyre on it, is classed as a space saver and you cannot go faster than 50mph.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having a smaller wheel, irrelevant of the profile of the tyre on it, is classed as a space saver and you cannot go faster than 50mph.
I think there's some confusion regarding what's a space saver wheel and a spare wheel.

The law allows for use of a different size wheel/tire as a spare until you get it repaired, and refers to the vehicle handbook for reference to speed restrictions.
There are no restrictions for how long they can be used for/distance travelled apart from space savers (car hand book will refer). MOT will not accept a spare wheel tho, unless the wheel and tire are identical in size to the rest.

You have to go by the rating of the spare wheel you installed. So in the case of a space saver, those are generally rated at 50 - 55mph. If you have a full size wheel as spare than the max speed is that marked on the tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts