Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody opted to get a spare wheel kit for their car? I was wondering if anyone knew what size the spare would have to be if your alloy wheels are 195 55 R16?

In my corsa D the alloy wheels are 195 55 R16 and my spare wheel is 185 65 R15 4stud?

I'm going down the route of sourcing my own spare wheel kit as Vauxhall want £250!!!

Any help appreciated.

Sam

G

·
You will need to source a jack as well as it won't have one, just the compressor and tyre gunk stuff

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If you have a Limited Edition or SRi VX line you may find problems using a sill jack too as the side sills hinder access. Most people advise using a trolley jack but that is not much use for changing a tyre at the side of the motorway not least because of the weight of the damn thing that you'd have to cart around on top of the spare tyre itself.

I chose not to go with the spare tyre kit as I'm going to be buying a set of winter tyres on their own alloys and I'll simply carry one in the boot when running the summers and vice versa in winter. I always fit winter tyres for winter anyway for safety - not cheap though as a set of four Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on 17" alloys comes in at £900, on steels approx £600.

I've been advised not to use the repair kit that comes with the car as the tyre fitters will refuse to repair the tyre?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi Sam,

First off, not sure if you are aware or it was just the way you typed it but the 195/55R16 is not the size of the alloy wheel. Only the 16 part of that tyre spec relates to the wheel size. (its diameter)

Generally the narrower the tyre, the higher the aspect ratio has to be in order to keep the same rolling radius. However different manufacturers or even different patterns of tyres have very different phyiscal sizes even though they they may have the same nominal sizes. The 195/55R16 is simply a nominal size, the actual tyre can be significantly different to this within limits of that nominal size range. I have had tyres that are as much as 25mm different in diameter and yet both carry the same nominal size. (Land Rover tyres being much bigger in diameter so the variance is much greater too)

The safest option is to carry a spare of the exact same tyre as fitted to the rest of the car.

However here is a tyre size comparison tool that may be useful to you for comparing different nominal sizes. The sizes you quoted are quite close in size.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Be aware though that they are still different enough that they will probably cause your tyre pressure system to throw a fault.

Ian

EDIT: If you are only doing short, local journeys then small variances in tyre size on the spare are less important. However I do 100+ mile motorway commutes so I have to be careful to select a spare of very similar physical diameter and width otherwise it affects handling at speed. Putting a narrow spare on the same axle as an existing wide tyre can cause hell if you hit standing water at speed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mud4fun said:
Hi Sam,

First off, not sure if you are aware or it was just the way you typed it but the 195/55R16 is not the size of the alloy wheel. Only the 16 part of that tyre spec relates to the wheel size. (its diameter)

Generally the narrower the tyre, the higher the aspect ratio has to be in order to keep the same rolling radius. However different manufacturers or even different patterns of tyres have very different phyiscal sizes even though they they may have the same nominal sizes. The 195/55R16 is simply a nominal size, the actual tyre can be significantly different to this within limits of that nominal size range. I have had tyres that are as much as 25mm different in diameter and yet both carry the same nominal size. (Land Rover tyres being much bigger in diameter so the variance is much greater too)

The safest option is to carry a spare of the exact same tyre as fitted to the rest of the car.

However here is a tyre size comparison tool that may be useful to you for comparing different nominal sizes. The sizes you quoted are quite close in size.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Be aware though that they are still different enough that they will probably cause your tyre pressure system to throw a fault.

Ian

EDIT: If you are only doing short, local journeys then small variances in tyre size on the spare are less important. However I do 100+ mile motorway commutes so I have to be careful to select a spare of very similar physical diameter and width otherwise it affects handling at speed. Putting a narrow spare on the same axle as an existing wide tyre can cause hell if you hit standing water at speed.
anthony said:
Thanks both :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi. I'm looking to get just a jack as I will be removing my alloys to paint the calipers. Would the jack from a Corsa D work? If so I'll probably just go down to the local breakers to see if I can grab one. How much you think it would be just for the jack? Cheers.

·
Registered
895 Posts
D3RV15H said:
Hi. I'm looking to get just a jack as I will be removing my alloys to paint the calipers. Would the jack from a Corsa D work? If so I'll probably just go down to the local breakers to see if I can grab one. How much you think it would be just for the jack? Cheers.
I got my Jack Kit for £27.99 from eBay but you could get cheaper.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I tried to fit my OEM polystyrene tool holder today, the one that goes in the compartment on the right hand side of the boot, anyone who's had a Corsa D with spare wheel will know what I'm talking about, anyway its quite a bit tight fit into the compartment, so tight in fact I think I'll struggle to get it back out without it falling to pieces, not a problem you'd think as there's no need for it ever to come back out, EXCEPT if you need to renew a bulb in the rear light you need to access the rear light retaining wing nuts via that compartment.

I wonder how Corsa D owners have worked round this, as ive seen loads of older ones (08/58 plates) which mustve had a bulb fail at some point and yet the polystyrene tool holder looks in good nick, am I missing a trick?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hendry said:
I tried to fit my OEM polystyrene tool holder today, the one that goes in the compartment on the right hand side of the boot, anyone who's had a Corsa D with spare wheel will know what I'm talking about, anyway its quite a bit tight fit into the compartment, so tight in fact I think I'll struggle to get it back out without it falling to pieces, not a problem you'd think as there's no need for it ever to come back out, EXCEPT if you need to renew a bulb in the rear light you need to access the rear light retaining wing nuts via that compartment.

I wonder how Corsa D owners have worked round this, as ive seen loads of older ones (08/58 plates) which mustve had a bulb fail at some point and yet the polystyrene tool holder looks in good nick, am I missing a trick?
The one in my corsa d wasn't a tight fit it still had a bit of play in it. Maybe try cutting a couple of mm off it and PPP it in?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Bluesam said:
hendry said:

The one in my corsa d wasn't a tight fit it still had a bit of play in it. Maybe try cutting a couple of mm off it and PPP it in?
Hmm, after I discovered how are tight it was in my car I tried to take the polystyrene bit out of a 63 plate D at work and couldn't get it, it was just as tight a fit tbh, I could see the polystyrene starting to break as I pulled it, its like the polystyrene thing is bigger than the hole it fits into in the side boot compartment and you've got to somehow manipulate it out but I'm a bit too hamfisted to get it out without breaking it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Delboy_Lee said:
D3RV15H said:
Guess that isn't too bad. I'll have a look online. Cheers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
D3RV15H said:
Delboy_Lee said:
D3RV15H said:
Guess that isn't too bad. I'll have a look online. Cheers.
I bought a bottle jack for £8 from eBay I know it's not genuine but still does the job and fits under the spare wheel

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Q on spare tyre n wheel.
Hi I have just been sold a second hand spare wheel for my corsa e to replace the foam repar kit supplied.
The seller said it had been used on their corsa e fits in the well without obstructing the floor cover.
Hopefully will only be using it to drive to nearest tyre company to get flat fixed.
My question is
My wheel is an alloy measures about 17" dia with a 195/55/r16 tyre
the one I have been sold is a standar rim, measures 16" with a 185/65/r15 tyre
they both look to be the same dia and width and both 4 hole fixing.

will this spare be ok for my needs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.