Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may just be me, but how the hell do you see the grey dot on a black background that denotes the odd number speeds, 30, 50, 70 etc.

End up looking at the speedo rather than the road with all the speed cameras round here.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Agreed, shocking design! Thankfully the LE has the digital speedo which I believe is more accurate anyway so I will use that. If it didn't have the electronic one I probably would not have ordered the car. I suffered a similar poor design on my Mazda pickup for last ten years where the dials are white with pale green backlit increments that are completely unreadable at lower light levels such as at dawn or dusk (the times I'm commuting to work)

The most common UK speed limits that I drive through on my commute are 30 local roads, 50 specs controlled motorway roadworks and 70 motorway. Basically all the speeds that are not marked on the Corsa speedo!!!

What idiot thought that 20mph increments was suitable for UK? All my other cars have had clear 10mph major increments or a digital speedo.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I believe the only legal requirement is that the speedo itself is within 10% accuracy of actual speed AND it must not under read. To play safe most mechanical speedometers as fitted to most cars until recently were designed to over read by a few % to ensure the didn't ever underread if different tyres were fitted. Tyre sizes are nominal sizes and actual diameter can vary between tyres of the same nominal size, a slighter bigger tyre would cause an underreading which is illegal. So commonly old speedos would register 70 when you were actually only doing 67 because of the built in overread. On French cars it is often much worse, I've seen Citroens reading a full 10% over so when it registered 70 you were actually on doing 63!

The GPS or electronic speedos are more accurate. The electronic ones use the same speed reading as used by the fuel/trip computer so they have to be more accurate. However most fuel computers still read over which is why the most accurate way of working out mpg is to brim, drive a few hundred miles and brim again then divide mileage by gallons used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reply from Vauxhall on this subject: Thank you for your email received on 9 March 2015 regarding your Vauxhall Corsa.

I have discussed your case with the Corsa Brand Manager and our Design Department, they have advised that are many factors that go into the design of a vehicle, which are taken into account by our engineers. When designs are at the blueprint and computer design stage, the designers have to meet a compromise between vehicle ergonomics and all the technical aspects.

In the case of a speedometer manufactured for sale in any Member State where imperial units of measurement are used, the speedometer shall be marked both in km/h and in mph (miles per hour); the graduations shall be of 1, 2, 5 or 10 km/h and also of 1, 2, 5 or 10 mph and the values of the speed indicated on the dial shall be multiples of 20 km/h and multiples of 20 mph. I can assure that the speedometer fitted to your vehicle meets this stipulation.

There will always be areas that are open to constructive comment and feedback such as yours is always greatly appreciated. Consequently, we have retained a copy of your comments on our Customer Care Database for our future reference.

I understand that we may not have met your expectations with your case; however, you may wish to contact Motorcodes who are an independent ombudsman for the Motor Trade. Please find details below.

Society of Motor Manufacturers
71 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 2BN
http://www.smmt.co.uk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just purchased a new Corsa and the speedo markings are terribly marked in fact I wish I hadn't bought the car. I'm so relieved to find other people have also complained because I've been made to feel i'm the only one and I'm being fussy. I feel it can't be legal to not have the National speed limits clearly marked, perhaps if enough of us complain they will have to do something about it. Whoever designed it must have been having an off day!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
While the markings aren't exactly brilliant, you get used to them, and get over the tiny issue. They're not amazingly easy to make out, but it's easy to see that half way between 20 and 40 is in fact 30.

If you are in an area with speed traps and are unable to maintain speed from judgement and glances, then I'd suggest using Cruise Control.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you cant keep to a certain speed easily you shouldn't be driving to be honest! And please don't forget the speed limit , its a limit not a minimum. ;)

Sorry to put it blunty but I don't understand how you cant see your speedometer easily when between 20 and 40 is obviously 30. :lol:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You also get to learn how the car drives, how it feels and sounds at certain speed limits too. I often naturally hover at 30 without keep checking the speedo it in built up areas. I guess it will be the same in the Corsa, although I did get safely past a speed trap in the 1.4T that I test drove. I did like the digital speed on that car, but was equally happy driving the Excite without. I don't see how they couldn't have updated the speedo dials for the E yet still keep it easy to read. I didn't find it too bad really, but agree it could be better! What is worse is when you drive a car that has the rev counter and speedo on the opposite sides! That gets quite confusing!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ghoman87 said:
If you cant keep to a certain speed easily you shouldn't be driving to be honest! And please don't forget the speed limit , its a limit not a minimum. ;)

Sorry to put it blunty but I don't understand how you cant see your speedometer easily when between 20 and 40 is obviously 30. :lol:
Exactly my point :lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Ghoman87 said:

Exactly my point :lol:
I get how you're all saying this but I can see my point - I drive a golf where the speedo is spaced out. It goes up in 10's and I find it hard to see the 'line' at 30/50/70 on the Corsa. In comparison it's much harder to see and it's clearer on the golf hence why it's so easy to sit at 30, I don't speed as I have a black box but I do think the Corsa speedo is abysmal and I may get used to it over time however, it is a drawback of the car.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I agree with you Matthew. I'm a careful driver with 30 years experience driving hundreds of different cars and IMHO the Corsa speedo markings are atrocious and the worst of any car I've driven.

You should not have to squint and struggle to see the primary speed markings. It is simply bad design.

It has nothing to do with being a bad driver - the primary purpose of a speedometer is to inform you of what speed you are doing and it is very poor at doing that compared with any other vehicle I've driven including a 1950 Land Rover.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
I agree with you Matthew. I'm a careful driver with 30 years experience driving hundreds of different cars and IMHO the Corsa speedo markings are atrocious and the worst of any car I've driven.

You should not have to squint and struggle to see the primary speed markings. It is simply bad design.

It has nothing to do with being a bad driver - the primary purpose of a speedometer is to inform you of what speed you are doing and it is very poor at doing that compared with any other vehicle I've driven including a 1950 Land Rover.
It was one of the first things I noticed about the car, but once you know the mark is there, you can quite clearly see it at a glance.

Plus as we said, it's between 20-40, which are easy to see as is the half way point.

I guess their reasoning for choosing the even over odd numbers is the fact that many 30 zones are being reduced to 20, especially in zones like London. Either way, it's not the cleverest decision.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Why not just put clear markings every 10mph?
Would make sense, but I guess it probably wasn't the correct style for them or some awful reason like that!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Corsa Intouch which is now 6 years old has the 20,40,60 etc markings. to be totally honest I have never noticed it or found it to be a problem. as stated in earlier post the gap between 20 & 40 is so obviously 30 and so on. I certainly wouldnt consider not buying a new Corsa because of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tch tch Vauxhall, hiding behind government regs. The E speedo with the minimal markings on the 'odd' speeds is a triumph of design over function. All that was needed was a white stroke on the 30, 50, 70 etc. Would that have been so difficult or violated some sacred design considerations? No but it would have avoided irritating a large number of drivers. I've resorted to putting marks on the perspex cover. (There are people better qualified than me to explain why it is mentally simpler and quicker to interpret an analogue speedo. Same applies to an analogue wrist warch.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.