Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.ive had my 1.4t le for just 2 weeks and I've got a,annoying squeak when I just touch the clutch pedal .anyone else got this problem ?.apart from that love the car .

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, mine squeaks every now and then too. It actually sounds like the return spring so I will take a look over the weekend and lubricate it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine was doing it too. Put a bit of oil on it and it stopped. Turning up the radio can help with this too.....haha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've had a look under the pedals and there is a spring that's attached to the pedal that,then goes through to the engine bay.the squeak stops when the spring is held so apart from a trip to the dealers don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes exactly the same issue as mine. A common problem on many cars. The springs creak when pedal is moving. I'm going to try a tiny bit of 3in1 oil first as that should get between the coils of the spring. It really needs grease but my concern is that when grease gets hot (hot sunny day) it tends to turn liquid and will then drip onto the floor. Not an issue in my old land rovers but not something I want on my nice new carpet mats!

I will report back later.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
OK, mine is now fixed!

However it is a bad design (common on many cars these days), the clutch pedal return spring is made from approx 4mm diameter spring steel and the two ends sit in engineering plastic bushes. The bushes have slots in them that the long ends of the spring push into by the factory. However the open side of these slots acts like a scraper so that any grease applied to the steel spring gets scraped off over time and results in the steel 'creaking' against the plastic as it moves.

The use of plastic bushes means you have to be very careful when choosing a grease because some grease/oil may actually cause a reaction in the plastic that makes it brittle or wear out faster. If in doubt get your dealer to lubricate them.

In my case there was very little lube on the spring bushes and I had some white lithium grease in a spray can so I covered all the footwell in paper towel and also formed a ball of rags around the nozzle to stop any grease going anywhere but on the little bush. I would not recommend this as there is risk that it spray everywhere! probably better to just get some white grease and smear it on with your fingers!

I then moved the pedal up and down a couple of dozen times and the annoying creaking stopped. How long for I don't know.

I then wiped away any excess grease off which there was a fair bit from my over exuberant spraying as shown in the photo!

Anyway here are the pictures of the clutch pedal return spring and the grey plastic bush in the bulkhead and the white plastic bush on the pedal itself. I have circled them in red.

Automotive tire Kitchen utensil Electrical wiring Rim Hand tool

Automotive tire Automotive design Electrical wiring Audio equipment Automotive lighting

It is a bad design because it will need re-greasing often as the bush will just scrape off the grease again after a time. My Land Rover (hydraulic clutch not cable) has a much better design with a fully exposed spring that hooks onto the pedal and bulkhead at each end. One smear of grease on this spring and its hooks lasts 100K miles of squeak free motoring!

Green Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

PS. I have changed the wording of the thread title and added creaking so that if people search the forum for either words they will find this thread. I hope you don't mind.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive found a tub of thick grease and ive put a bit around the joints in the pics and its solved the creaking noise !! yeah !

·
Registered
126 Posts
I drove my car yesterday without music on for the first and noticed a squeak when changing gear only done 500 miles. Will have to wd it next time I clean the inside. Shouldn't be happening though

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've always used silicone spray to 3 in 1 oil as dust will not stick to it and it doesn't stain. It seems to last longer and not evaporate niether. Careful to cover pedals first though so not to make them slippy.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I used white lithium grease on mine as it should last longer and is safer for the plastic bushes. I wouldn't use anything like WD40 as that can cause the plastic to age prematurely, go brittle and crack. Not to mention the smell :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts