Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I seem to be having an issue when I first start and drive my car after a couple of days of it being sat.

I pull out my drive and drive to the end of the road put my foot on the clutch and it cuts out the start/stop indicator on the dash comes on then nothing. Just wondering if other people where having the same problem?

It's done it the past 2 weeks every Monday morning after it's been sat for the weekend

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Oddly enough mine did exactly the same this morning after being sat for a week. I managed to get my Wife's Land Rover back on the road a few weeks ago so we've been using that all the time and the Corsa was left unused other than one commute early last week.

I stalled twice this morning when I wasn't even fully stopped and engine revs still high enough to normally be beyond stalling point but engine just cut out, stop start symbol came on and I struggled to restart it as it spluttered momentarily. First time was when engine was still cold but second time was in works car park after a 125 mile motorway drive so engine well and truly warm!

On top of that I also heard a rattle while driving up our road this evening. Seems something has come loose. Sounds like an exhaust heat shield as it was a very tinny hollow metallic rattling noise. I'll take a look tomorrow. Doesn't seem to be any side effects to economy because she averaged 61mpg for the last 400 miles, looking at getting near 600 miles from this tank :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't know if this is what you're experiencing, ours cuts out when in neutral and freewheeling at slow speed, s/s symbol comes on but the engine starts up again as soon as I press the clutch....suppose it's a normal function. Is this your case?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's normal with the start stop mine is exactly the same as mud4fun symptoms with the exception of the exhaust if it does it next Monday it's going back to the garage for the to look at

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:
Don't know if this is what you're experiencing, ours cuts out when in neutral and freewheeling at slow speed, s/s symbol comes on but the engine starts up again as soon as I press the clutch....suppose it's a normal function. Is this your case?
Yea that's normal, happens to me too. I guess they can only detect a certain minimum speed in order for it not to kick in.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have test driven a few Corsas with s/s activated and not once experienced that. I guess time will tell when mine finally arrives.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
LeachiE said:
I have test driven a few Corsas with s/s activated and not once experienced that. I guess time will tell when mine finally arrives.
Probably because you've not triggered it. You have to slow right down, put into neutral and take your foot off the clutch - if you do that at the time when it thinks the cars stopped or stopping, you'll trigger it!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have now had to de-activate S/S in mine as it nearly killed me this morning. It is LETHAL.

I was going onto a very busy roundabout off a motorway and was in gear and moving onto the roundabout and accelerating when S/S cut the engine! the s/s symbol came up on the dash and without power I coasted into the roundabout at a snails pace and a HGV missed me by a few millimeters (accompanied with massive blast of his horn), foot down on clutch and engine started again. However this is now beyond a joke and it scared me to death. This was the third time this morning it had cut out on me while I was in gear and moving off from junctions or roundabouts. Now this is definately NOT me being stupid or not used to the engine or anything as I've driven 10K miles in the this car and it has not suffered any such issues until this week.

I'm not sure if this is related but this week the car also developed a rattle, I have had a good feel underneath and there is nothing loose in terms of major mechanical items. My thoughts are that it may be a wire to the handbrake has come off and is rattle against the exhaust. This could be linked to s/s as the s/s is not meant to come on unless you have engaged the handbrake. Might not be related but I find it very odd that my s/s has failed at the exact time as the rattle started?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've actually had similar happen, albeit in different, less dangerous circumstances - it was still worrying.

I think it's more the s/s getting confused or something rather than failing. Either way, it's worrying.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sadly my dealer is a 40 miles round trip away and I haven't got time this weekend to go there and don't get chance in the week as I work and can't get a couple of hours off. It will be next weekend at the earliest before I can take her back to the dealer. I've got 500 miles of motorway journey to do before then but thankfully with the S/S turned off (by turning off the eco button) the fault vanished and I had no further issues with the engine cutting out so I just need to remember to turn it off each time I get in.

About half the BMW one series on our works fleet have had the S/S disabled permanently because of similar unreliability issues so it is not just VX having issues. I never wanted S/S anyway as it doesn't save me much in the way of fuel as 90% of my mileage is open motorway. Sadly the 1.4T LE is not available without it :-(

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
*Touch wood*, I have not experienced any problems with the s/s in the Ibiza. It works as it should - at a standstill, in neutral, foot off the clutch and handbrake on. I was thinking about the Corsas cutting out when I got to a roundabout this morning, wondering how it could just cut in whilst the car is still moving, albeit slowly. I test drove a 1.4T and drve one of the routes I can take to work and back and had no problems, I even used the s/s exactly the same as I usually do at a certain set of lights.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah but remember I had done nearly 10K miles before the issue appeared on Dafny. Up until this week S/S has worked perfectly and has only ever cut in when the handbrake has been on. It must be something has worked loose somewhere as it should never cut the engine while the handbrake is off.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I remember Liverpaul posting about similar happening to him too, also on a roundabout a few months back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is ss related to the handbrake? Don't think so, thought it comes on as soon you stop (or maybe a second later) with the gear in neutral and clutch released, or when rolling at very low speed in neutral with clutch released.
In anycase if ss is coming on while accelerating in gear, then that's very dangerous...will be watching out for this

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My S/S definitely only engaged when handbrake was on and car was in neutral, up until this week that is.....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
My S/S definitely only engaged when handbrake was on and car was in neutral, up until this week that is.....
S/S doesn't require the handbrake to be on, just the car stopped, and in neutral - at least that's what I've experienced. It's why it kicks in if you change gear and bring the clutch up too early at low speed, it kicks in!

Maybe they're faulty...?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Ah I guess the two are the same thing for me Limey as I would never put the car into neutral unless I had already engaged handbrake. Possibly a habit I've just learnt to do from years of off roading in my Land Rovers where being in neutral means you have have no control of the vehicle (especially on hilly or sloping off road terrain) so you would always engage handbrake first.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I wonder what the starter ring looks like after five years? Like buzz saw I expect. Daft I call it.
Get an auto, they have no S/S - burn lots of carbon with your feet up!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, no way I'd buy an auto, mpg is dire on them. I'd like to see anybody with an auto come close to the mpg I can get with my manual :)

My car is fine as long as S/S is disabled which you can do by turning the eco switch off. You just have to do it every time you get in because it defaults to on which is a shame. Would be nice if you could default it to off in the vehicle settings.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I wish it required the handbrake - it would make more sense and would mean it's less likely to kick in when you're actually attempting to go!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts