Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, give me some tips here. I am haunted by the thought of my new wee car picking up any stone damage. I have always owned used cars in the past so they have either already had stone chips or of not by the time ive noticed them I have always just told myself they mustve happened before I got the car but now I know its only me who's had this car I'll know its happened when I was driving. Also I will be honest, I have been quite an aggressive driver in my own car in the past (I drive a lot of company owned cars when I'm at work in uniform and can't drive like a nutter, get angry when people cut me up etc in case people complain to my work so when it happens in my car I lose the plot to compensate for all the times I haven't been able to get annoyed at work) as I drive so much of the time I get impatient sitting in jams, behind Dawdlers etc so I used to speed regularly, go down the wrong lanes then want into another lane at the last possible minute, cut people up, refuse to allow other people out at junctions, undertake, tailgate and so on.

However since getting the Corsa I'm a lot calmer, haven't driven above 60mph in it yet, and now leave massive gaps between me and the car in front to avoid stone damage, however it isn't working, particularly as I drive mainly in heavy traffic, every gap gets filled, people spy any space going and move into it, so what's happening now is either I'm leaving big gaps and people fill them and to avoid ending up with every car on the road pulling in front of me and making my journey take ages I'm leaving a safe gap and no more but this still is causing cars to be close enough in front to flick up debris, or having to keep dropping back to regain the gap and people just keep pulling in in front, or most annoying of all I leave maybe a 4/5 car length gap between me and the car in front so that way if someone else does fill the gap if they do it properly there will still be a 2 car length gap in front of me, but no matter how big the gap, in some cases as much as a 10 car length gap, these inconsiderate halfwits overtake them immediately pull in in front of you leaving almost no gap instead of pulling in further up the gap, so they still flick shit up as they pull in and some don't even pull in and then pull away to make a gap, they pull in 1 car length in front and then sit there causing me to have to brake/slow down and drop back, so inconsiderate.

Anyway, what can I do to minimise damage to my windscreen, bonnet and bumper (its not the monetary aspect which bothers me, I just don't want my car to have any paintwork/non original paint/a respray or a new badly fitted screen which causes a leak, damage to trim, or issues with auto wiper and light sensors or badly fitted trim or panels as in my experience no matter how good a fitter, garage or bodyshop or painter is its never a patch on factory fit)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
There is not much you can do without ruining the looks of the car. You used to be able to get a bra for older cars which covered a big chunk of the front end with a rubber/plastic protective cover. It stops stone chips on the bonnet leading edge and grill area but looked naff.

The front of my last vehicle was riddled with dents, scratches and rusty holes after 260K miles. I do alot of motorway driving and the HGV's are constantly kicking up stones as they weave onto the hard shoulder while eating at the wheel or trying to program their sat navs. Not to mention all the ratchet straps and timber that drops off HGV's too. The motorways up here are littered with debris. I've got a big scratch on my bumper from a chunk of 3"x2" that a HGV kicked up last week. Dafny has now done 5K miles in just over 2 months, about 70% of that was motorway or fast A road and I just accept that her front end will be trashed in 3 years time. :-(

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
um, I'm not convinced by that film. Surely it will start to look obviously different in colour once it ages and you've applied a few coats of wax etc to the car, especially along the edge. Also if you get a stone (or block of wood as in my case) hit it, it will surely tear and look even worse than a normal stone chip? If a stone does puncture it and the paint then you'll have to remove the whole lot to be able to touch up the paintwork.

I think I'll just live with the stone chips and get the bumper resprayed before resale if it gets too bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mud4fun said:
um, I'm not convinced by that film. Surely it will start to look obviously different in colour once it ages and you've applied a few coats of wax etc to the car, especially along the edge. Also if you get a stone (or block of wood as in my case) hit it, it will surely tear and look even worse than a normal stone chip? If a stone does puncture it and the paint then you'll have to remove the whole lot to be able to touch up the paintwork.

I think I'll just live with the stone chips and get the bumper resprayed before resale if it gets too bad.
Was thinking exactly the same - have you ever left protective film on new electronics, such as TVs etc? It starts peeling, any small "nick" that would usually not phase the material below still causes damage to the plastic films.

·
Registered
223 Posts
mud4fun said:

I agree.

It can be very pricey too for the protective film, though they are meant to be hard wearing and do come with a warranty if done by proffessionals. It can be pricey to get done too, a lot more then a respray on a bumper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts