Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can't find reference to this anywhere, so any advice greatly appreciated. Should also explain I'm a driving instructor, so what follows should make more sense.
My Corsa 1.3 ecoflex cdti has done approx 1k and develops a really pungent smell when pupils are doing slow manoevres (ie, lot of clutch control) The smell ranges from 'burning leather' to 'dead badger'. After about an hour of normal driving the smell drifts again. Do you think this is just 'bedding in' of new clutch plates, for eg, or something more sinister?As said, any advice before I contact garage would be appreciated. Cheers. Nige.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Does it smell "cabbage-y" ? This sounds like poor clutch control, riding the clutch or keeping the clutch pressed when not necessary, I could replicate the smell you describe in my old car fairly easily by revving the nuts off the car with the clutch held in ever so slightly due to how high it was if I was angry and wanted to demonstrate it without taking off at speed.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've had it mine when I first got it and was getting used to driving a small petrol after 20 years of driving big diesel light commercials and 4x4's.

Because I kept stalling when pulling away without enough revs (my previous diesel pickup could pull away in 2nd at tickover) I found I was riding the clutch to prevent the stall and I got that smell. I've now got used to the long pedal travel and zero torque at low rpms and have learnt to rev higher before pulling off and no stalls now and no smell :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies hendry and mud4fun. It certainly is related to slipping the clutch, necessary on manoeuvres and moving off for the learners. I wouldn't say it was 'poor' clutch control as there's no revving going on at same time. Did exactly the same things in my 57 mazda 3 last week (ie, before getting corsa) and no issues there. I'm just wondering if this is going to be the same for as long as I have the car, which, incidentally, is supplied as an ideal driving instructor vehicle!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I did notice that the Corsa cable clutch has very long travel and the bite point is woolly.

In comparison my pickup trucks and Land Rovers have hydraulic clutches with very short pedal travel and a clearly defined biting point at just 1" of pedal depression.

I guess the longer travel is more suitable for new drivers as it has a wider tolerance and less liable to Kangaroo with those inexperienced of getting the biting point?

I prefer the hydraulic clutch myself even though it takes more skill to control. Much crisper biting point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes mud4fun it has got a long travel hasn't it? Learners have picked up on that (prolongs the agony for some lol) luckily it's still a lot smoother than the previous car. On reflection I think maybe that one or two of them are taking longer to find it and that's causing excessive strain perhaps?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts