Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to my local Vauxhall dealership and been given an amazing price for the new Black Edition Corsa but I wanted to know how you lot feel.

I like the fact that it's got a bigger engine than the limited edition and I also like the diamond cut alloys. I have added the Winter Pack and the Bi Xenons onto the car which is meant to be ready to pick up mid January 2016.

Does anyone have any opinions about the car, good or bad points?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think it is a great car but it is not a different engine to the LE. It is the exact same 1.4T but with a different ECU map (the 150PS revs higher but has poorer mpg than the 100PS, both maps have very similar levels of torque)

The rest of the car is pretty much identical to the LE other than wheels I think.

If the 1.4T 150PS had been available in the LE back in january when I ordered mine I would have ordered one instead of the 100PS. When they released details of the red and black edition initially the price seemed too high considering it was basically a remapped LE (which you can get done for £300-500 and have the exact same 150PS anyway). If they have given you a good deal where it is not that much more than an LE then it is a no brainer - Red or Black edition every time as long as you like red and black that is! ;-)

Sadly for me I'm not keen on the red as it is very common on E's already and while I love black it is a bugger to keep clean. I love my yellow LE but wish I could have had the 150PS map on it from the factory. I'll get mine remapped if I keep it once the warranty is nearly up, probably end of next year but at least getting the factory 150PS would keep insurance simple.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I knew that they had the same engine and that the Limited Edition engine is just like the title, limited. When I went in the sales guy explained to me that its the same engine as the Adam Grand Slam. It's a shame that they limited the engines, I suppose that's Vauxhall for you ;-)

Just like you said the red edition looks common as nearly every corsa e is red these day's. I've gone for the black even though its hard to keep clean. I bet the LE yellow looks nice, It's a shame they only do the black and red editions.

Apparently they already have tons of Black Editions in the distributions centre at the moment and I could have the standard Black Edition really soon if I wanted but seen as though I wanted the Winter pack and the Xenons they have to factory build the car and is going to take 3 months. Would you take the standard one now or wait for the 2 optional extras?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm the wrong person to ask about waiting for the winter pack and Xenons as I like my cars simple with as few gadgets as possible :D

In my case I'd grab the ready built BE and not bother waiting. I have no need for heated seats and wheel.

Agreed, real shame they don't offer the 150PS on other colours.

Here is my limelight green LE (which is actually primrose yellow). I have had a few problems but overall the car is a good design and the 1.4T engine and 6 speed box are fantastic.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I wouldn't have either because I'm not keen on the red, and I would never have a black car as I would never be able to keep it in that showroom condition that black really needs. Having said that, if I HAD to choose, then I would go for black because it just looks better! My Energy (2016 version of Excite) was a factory order as I wanted shiny rock with the 1.4T 100ps engine. I hate waiting for anything and I ordered on August 8th and she's finally being delivered next week! However, I had to wait as I wanted the MY16 Energy and not a MY15 Excite that had already been built, but there weren't any available with the 1.4T engine. Once you get the email via the tracker with your build slot the time goes a lot faster! Plus, mine is arriving faster than first estimated. She was estimated for delivery on 6th November when I placed the order, then the tracker quoted 30th Oct at the second tick, now she is due to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Oh tobyandrew, forgot to say, the 100PS engine is not as restricted as you think. It has an economy map on it which means it produces the bulk of the 200NM of torque at low rpm so is a great cruising car and gives upto 75mpg on the motorway. The restriction is at 4K rpm on the 100PS and in most driving you don't go above that anyway and it has pretty much the same power and torque as the 150PS upto 3750rpm. The 150PS engine simply allows you to rev upto 6K rpm which is where you get the extra power from. My car is currently faulty and the fuelling restriction is no longer operating and my engine now revs willingly to 6K rpm anyway so I can compare and I know how much nicer it is to have the wave of power surge well past the 4K mark which means you don't suddenly find yourself needing to change up half way past a car as you're overtaking :) Sadly the downside of having the extra power is that my mpg has dropped...... ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I currently have a black car and I give it a really good clean and wax every week which takes me around 6 hours. It's a 10 year old car so has swirl marks and scratches but the shine you get with certain waxes. I really like the look of your car mud4fun, is the paint work matt? or metallic?

Also I have a friend who has the excite/Energy AC and she loves her car to pieces, she couldn't fault it and especially for the price she is paying. Do you know if there are any issues with the 1.4t engines? little niggles like sound or the way it drives?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Mud4fun is probably the best to ask about that as he does a lot of miles! Mine hasn't arrived yet, but should be with me by the end of next week, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I love my 1.4T, it is one of the nicest engines I've owned for the blend of performance and economy.

OK it is not as quick as a VXR but 0-60 times are not everything. I've had big V8 cars that could go quicker but were cr*p on fuel. I've had smaller engines or diesels that got slightly better mpg but were not as quick. The 1.4T is a compromise between the two, better than average performance with better than average economy! :)

I'm happy enough with the acceleration. I love the fact it has oodles of torque and can pull 6th gear over virtually the entire 130 miles of my commute and get 55-60mpg. Even around town with my wife driving it still gets 45mpg.

I've now done nearly 12K miles in 6 months and not had any problems with the engine itself. My problems have been with the electronics of the stop/start system which nearly killed me when it cut the engine as I was accelerating onto a roundabout. I now disable s/s every time I get in car and since doing that I've had no further problems.

The exhaust note could be a little sportier but it did get better once the engine had done a few thousand miles and the engine itself now it has done 12K gives a pleasant growl when accelerating.

My oil life is still at 45% after 12K mostly motorway miles so I will only need a service every 18-20K miles which is good and alot better than many on here.

The 150PS will give you even better performance for not much loss in mpg. Should be a cracking engine! I look forward to hearing what you think of it and look forward to the pictures :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the late response. All seems quite decent with the new corsa's. Do you know why the start/stop is so unreliable? Is there a way to fix the problem with it or is it just a crap design?

I do like the sound of the performance and economy and definitely the looks of the car. Your Limelight Green looks really nice, I really like the black roof.

Also are there any problems with the interior controls or seats? like easy wearing or flimsiness?

I'm sorry if I keep asking a million questions I just want to make sure I've made the right decision. Also I hope you enjoy your car LeachiE.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thanks! I asked LOADS of questions before I decided which trim to get. I joined this forum back in February iirc and finally placed my order in August! By that time the MY16 changes had been made so I was glad I waited!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
tobyandrew said:
Do you know why the start/stop is so unreliable? Is there a way to fix the problem with it or is it just a crap design?
I think it is just bad design. It is not just Vauxhall. Loads of my work colleagues have had problems with their BMW, Audi, VW start/stop systems.

Your Limelight Green looks really nice, I really like the black roof.
Thanks!

Also are there any problems with the interior controls or seats? like easy wearing or flimsiness?
I've had a couple of issues. After 10K miles my seat is not as comfortable as new. However it is only on 3 hour long drives that it is a problem. Short trips are fine. My drivers seat height adjuster keeps slipping so seat sinks down gradually over a week or so. Nothing too major, more minor annoyance than major fault.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What actually happens with the start/stop? does it just not start back up again when you put it into gear or does your engine just cut out once it starts?

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm gonna wait until January till I get the car, I really hate waiting for things though haha.

Are there any websites where you can get mods for the car? wind deflectors, mats etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have a look at my mats in main corsa E chat got them off ebay....wind deflectors are on eBay too I paid £37 for the heko ones £29 for the mats

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
tobyandrew said:
Are there any websites where you can get mods for the car? wind deflectors, mats etc.
Yea, it's called Google ;) :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers, I will have a look. I remember when I went in the sales guy tried to offer me this protection optional extra for the paintwork and the interior which basically meant that you cant stain the seats and the paintwork doesn't fade for £600. It just looks like they spray the car with NeverWet and some sealant/protector on the car. Did they try and offer you this?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I got supaguard for free. Always get it completely free along with Vehicle Replacement Insurance (previously GAP).

One of the perks of knowing the saleswoman :lol:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
tobyandrew said:
What actually happens with the start/stop? does it just not start back up again when you put it into gear or does your engine just cut out once it starts.
Er no, far far worse!!!

The engine cuts out while you are in gear and accelerating onto a busy roundabout or pulling out of junctions onto 70mph dual carriageways etc. It happened to me half a dozen times with the last failure resulting in a HGV ending up about 25mm off my drivers door after the s/s cut my engine as I was darting into a gap in a constant stream of fast moving traffic on a busy roundabout on a motorway junction. I was about 2 seconds away from being killed. The technology is lethal when it fails. However I have had absolutely no issues since disabling it.

I didn't want it in the first place as I knew it was dodgy as many of my work colleagues had warned me about the failures they had suffered. Sadly you can't order a 1.4T 6 speed Corsa without s/s :-(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts