Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my cross exite 1.4 auto since march and now I've purchased a ford fiesta eco boost titanium x with power shift. i have to say... its faster, more comfy, cheaper to run and feels like a mature car to drive!!! now my crosa feels like a little toy haha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a fan boy of brands and stuff but wanted to see if any owners had to change their crosa for other cars in the same sections for the sam reasons as mine haha

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL

I've had a lot of problems with mine recently but I would not change my Corsa. All the reasons I bought it still stand. It is still quick, economical and a comfortable commuting car.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
LOL

I've had a lot of problems with mine recently but I would not change my Corsa. All the reasons I bought it still stand. It is still quick, economical and a comfortable commuting car.
Not to mention much, much cheaper - plus imo the interior is miles better.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I found lots of people complaining about naff mpg on the ford owners club, things like this comment:

I have had the 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Titanium X for just under two weeks - the mileage is about 600, my average MPG is just under 40. About half of my miles are motorway (dual carriageway) using cruise control and half are more urban - cross City. I have tried to drive VERY economically - there is an indicator of your eco status in the menu under Ford Eco and when I was pretty much top for the three areas measured (gear shifting/anticipation/speed) I was still only able to get about 42mpg. Driving more normally I am achieving about 39.
This is a car with an official combined 66mpg!

While I got dire mpg in the Fiesta I tested it wasn't quite that bad.

My Corsa 1.4T easily gets 50mpg in similar journeys to that, not only far superior to the Fiesta but much closer to the official combined figure too. I suspect economical driving skills (or lack thereof) is playing a very large part in all these 'poor mpg' posts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I only seem to get the 1.0L Turbo at 39.9/40Mpg? I'm actually driving it in 6th at like 40 when it asks to shift up, I'm not exactly revving it to the beans and I'm not attempting to try do 0-60 in 3seconds haha so god knows where the petrols going, leaking out!?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
I found lots of people complaining about naff mpg on the ford owners club, things like this comment:

I have had the 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Titanium X for just under two weeks - the mileage is about 600, my average MPG is just under 40. About half of my miles are motorway (dual carriageway) using cruise control and half are more urban - cross City. I have tried to drive VERY economically - there is an indicator of your eco status in the menu under Ford Eco and when I was pretty much top for the three areas measured (gear shifting/anticipation/speed) I was still only able to get about 42mpg. Driving more normally I am achieving about 39.
This is a car with an official combined 66mpg!

While I got dire mpg in the Fiesta I tested it wasn't quite that bad.

My Corsa 1.4T easily gets 50mpg in similar journeys to that, not only far superior to the Fiesta but much closer to the official combined figure too. I suspect economical driving skills (or lack thereof) is playing a very large part in all these 'poor mpg' posts.
I get better MPG than that and I do ZERO motorway miles! Mix of A Roads and towns!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, I got about 48mpg out of the that Fiesta engine on a 99% motorway 500 mile journey. Many would think that quite good but remember Ford quote an extra urban figure of 80mpg so I got nowhere close to the official figure.

In comparison on that exact same motorway journey I routinely get 56-60mpg from my 1.4T against an official extra urban figure of 66mpg.

These tiny 1.0 3 cyl engines are often quoted as getting very high mpg but in real world driving they are quite poor.

However it doesn't explain the OP's issue with a Vauxhall engine. I just can't believe an auto can reduce mpg by 50%. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
LOL, I got about 48mpg out of the that Fiesta engine on a 99% motorway 500 mile journey. Many would think that quite good but remember Ford quote an extra urban figure of 80mpg so I got nowhere close to the official figure.

In comparison on that exact same motorway journey I routinely get 56-60mpg from my 1.4T against an official extra urban figure of 66mpg.

These tiny 1.0 3 cyl engines are often quoted as getting very high mpg but in real world driving they are quite poor.

However it doesn't explain the OP's issue with a Vauxhall engine. I just can't believe an auto can reduce mpg by 50%. It makes no sense.
Unless it was badly tuned, or perhaps it's sensors were buggered causing it to allow/suck in more fuel than it needed!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Limey, have you noticed this on fuelly - despite the media raving about how economical the Fiesta is, funny that its 2015 vehicle average mpg is 25% less than the 2015 Corsa average! OK, to be fair the Fiesta has 10x more miles recorded but even so, higher mileage cars usually do more motorway work so average should be higher not lower.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
LimeyUK said:
mud4fun said:
LOL

Not to mention much, much cheaper - plus imo the interior is miles better.
And its a far better looking car than the Fiesta too IMO.

Over 5000 miles my 1.4 n/a is only averaging 41.5mpg, but I spend about 100/120 miles a week stuck in heavy urban traffic or on motorway rush hour traffic, the rest is random driving around or going to Tescos/Asda/shopping centres at the weekend so although not great its to be expected from lots of stop start journeys, and its beating my old 1.2 Clio which struggled to get 34/35 in similar circumstances, also due to driving all day at work my driving styling is probably poor because i cant be bothered any am not paying attention to being in the right gear or anticipating traffic or red lights and just approach at normal speed and brake late etc.

Also has anyone noticed he's comparing the absolute top of the range Fiesta model (Titanium X) to a mid spec Corsa, the Excite is probably more in line with the Zetec spec Fiesta than Tit X spec, its a bit like comparing a Merc C180 base with a BMW 335 M Sport, of course it's going to be vastly different I suspect if he compared it with a Corsa SE it would be a different story.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The Fiesta I test drove was a zetec S spec. I don't think it was any better equipped than my LE, the interior was quite dreadful, very poorly laid out dash and not as posh looking as the Corsa. It was nice enough to drive although after 2K miles driving it and having now done 11K miles in my Corsa I honestly don't know what planet the magazines are on when they rave about it. The Fiesta was not noticeably any more enjoyable to drive, if anything my LE sports chassis provides more comfortable ride. However the Fiesta had much quieter tyres and didn't pass the road noise into the car as much.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
The Fiesta I test drove was a zetec S spec. I don't think it was any better equipped than my LE, the interior was quite dreadful, very poorly laid out dash and not as posh looking as the Corsa. It was nice enough to drive although after 2K miles driving it and having now done 11K miles in my Corsa I honestly don't know what planet the magazines are on when they rave about it. The Fiesta was not noticeably any more enjoyable to drive, if anything my LE sports chassis provides more comfortable ride. However the Fiesta had much quieter tyres and didn't pass the road noise into the car as much.
Yeah that's my point, other than auto lights/wipers and heated seats/steering wheel the Excite and LE have a similar amount of toys inside and yet the OP is comparing it to a Titanium X Fiesta which is the top dog Fiesta with all the toys, where a Corsa Excite should be compared in spec terms to a Zetec Fiesta.

The Fiesta interior is horrible, cheap, the seat material gets easily stained and the carpets get worn and frayed very quickly, all Ford carpets are crap. I also find the driving position poor, I can't get comfy and find when ive got the seat adjusted for my legs to not stretch when using the pedals the steering wheel is too close even with the reach as far away as it'll go, if I get the steering wheel right I'm now too far away from the pedals. Another trait both cars have but the Fiesta is definitely worse, even with the seat height adjusted to its lowest I think you sit too high up, almost on the car rather than "in" it. The Fiesta also doesn't feel as solid and sturdy and protected from the outside, like if you were to have a crash the Fiesta feels like theres less between you and the car which is going to hit you, and more like it will just crumple like a crisp packet on impact.

The trip computer is also pretty poorly designed and laid out, Ford's also all have this annoying habit of switching the air con on by themselves everytime you adjust the ventilation controls. Only things I like over the Corsa are the footwell lights, the deeper glovebox with more space in it and the built in factory front centre armrest built into the centre console on mid spec Zetec S upwards models and the sound quality from the Sony DAB stereo unit fitted to Titanium's etc. (Unit itself looks totally out of place though)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I actually have my seat right up to the highest setting and pushed back to its furthest travel. It provides the perfect driving position for my left leg with my knackered knee. I also like to sit as high as possible as it gives better view of the road and allows you to judge distance better which helps improve mpg too. Obviously I'm used to driving big 4x4's so sitting up high is not an issue ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts