Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've now had a chance finally to drop my silver Corsa D 16" SXi alloy at the wheel refurbers to be repaired and powder coated gloss black like my cars wheels, so I can put it in the boot for use as a spare rather than use the sealant kit and compressor or buy a space saver/steelie, so it won't look as out of place when I'm running on the spare and so I don't need to rush to get any tyre repaired as the spare will be the same size and have same size tyre as the rest of the wheels.

However before I get a new tyre put on it I'm wondering about getting a TPMS valve and Fitted/calibrated so when the spare is fitted it won't bring on the TPMS warning light and multi function computer warning about low/no pressure or no TPMS sensor detected for that wheel.

Is this likely to be majorly expensive and a ballache?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
About £30 each valve from memory. I got quoted a while back for my winter tyres & wheels which I still haven't ordered. Must do that soon.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think it's actually quite difficult to calibrate unless you'll be using it.

It would need to be calibrated whenever you change the wheel AFAIK as a wheel must be re calibrated whenever it has been rotated for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm not sure it is a problem. VX may not want you to know this or make it public as they like to charge you £100 to reprogram the TPMS valves but I'm sure that most tyre places can program new TPMS valves themselves. I spoke to a mail order place for my winter tyres and wheels and they reckoned they could supply TPMS valves already fitted as part of the package and they would work with my Car. I will call them back this week and double check. At the time they didn't have the lastest VX data on the new Corsa E. Certainly the impression I got was that all I had to do was mount the new tyres/wheels and let the TPMS system learn the new pressures in the usual way?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
From what I understand, if a wheel gets rotated the the TPMS will need to relearn, I assume there must be something the wheel has to align up to when fitted perhaps?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mud4fun said:
About £30 each valve from memory. I got quoted a while back for my winter tyres & wheels which I still haven't ordered. Must do that soon.
Was this for the genuine ones from a Vauxhall dealer?

I'm wondering if ones sourced elsewhere and therefore not GM parts may not be compatible with the TPMS system in our cars.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
hendry said:
mud4fun said:
Was this for the genuine ones from a Vauxhall dealer?

I'm wondering if ones sourced elsewhere and therefore not GM parts may not be compatible with the TPMS system in our cars.
Theres gotta be somewhere that you can find out what TPMS System is fitted, garages will need that info.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My understanding is that each valve transmits an identifying code. GM have one set of codes, Ford has another etc. All the tyre fitters have to do is program any old TPMS valve with the correct code for a Corsa and the system will work fine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
My understanding is that each valve transmits an identifying code. GM have one set of codes, Ford has another etc. All the tyre fitters have to do is program any old TPMS valve with the correct code for a Corsa and the system will work fine.
That sounds logical, otherwise garages would need different kits to do different systems :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts