Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now in the process of formally rejecting my LE as issues with paintwork and broken air conditioning unit are still unresolved. I have been waiting 8 weeks for a spare part that apparently is unavailable with no time frame, also issues with poor quality paint finish. Hate having go down this road but offering to respray the whole of my car that I only picked up on 29/06/15 I feel is unacceptable. Anyone else having any issues with their air con? :cry:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
You mean the warm air blower system ;-)

Yes, mine is cr*p but has been tested by an independent local garage who agree with dealer that it is acceptable for small car - just pathetic compared to the ice cold blasts I was used to in my jap 4x4's. If I lived in a hot country then I'd reject car too but as I live on the North East coast of UK where it is hot enough to require A/C on just a dozen days a year I'll live with it. The car is superb in all the main areas I judge it on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My air con stopped working completely 2 weeks after I picked it up. I also have a lot of issues with the paint work as well, it's full of black lumps, poor finish on front bumper skirt and general quality paint chips really easily on the edges of the doors and boot, It's like I have to bubble wrap everywhere. Been real careful with her too as its my 1st brand new car, just don't make them like they used too. My 02 corsa has less chips on her then my new one .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have said this before as mud will know. I've hired corsa e's in spain and will be again next week and the air conditioning works fine as mine does here in the north east of England. It's certainly not cr*p and takes the moisture out of the air and cools within minutes.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
bobtheslark said:
Have said this before as mud will know. I've hired corsa e's in spain and will be again next week and the air conditioning works fine as mine does here in the north east of England. It's certainly not cr*p and takes the moisture out of the air and cools within minutes.
Your opinion is that is works fine, mine is that it is cr*p. :) Equally valid considering I'm comparing it to my previous vehicle that produced ice cold air which the Corsa certainly does not!! And I'm not the only one to think this as I've spoken to dozens of people who also reckon it is cr*p compared to other makes. You may not have experienced powerful ice cold air con so are not comparing like for like (I've owned 6 jap pickups from new, how many have you owned?) OR your Corsa happens to be one of the few with working air con!

Two garages have tested it and both claim it is working fine. Short of visiting dozens of dealers until I can find one that reckons it is faulty I have to assume that they are correct and this lack of ice cold air is normal for a Corsa.

It is very suspicious to me that having the air con on minimum temp makes not a jot of difference to mpg and I can't feel it have any impact on engine load either. On my pickups putting the air con on resulted in noticable labouring and upto 10% drop in mpg. Unless Vauxhall have managed to bypass the laws of physics I would suggest the reason it has no impact on mpg is because it is not working anywhere near as hard as the air con in my jap trucks.

Yes it cools, but it only lowers internal temperature by 10 degrees from ambient after 15 minutes, my jap trucks would cool by 20 degrees in 15 mins. That is a huge difference!

It would help if you provided actual measurements so we could confirm if ours really are broken or just normal. If you place a thermostat in your car, with it parked in the shade, take a reading then put air con on and leave for 15 mins with recirc on and compare the reading. I am expecting temp to drop to something like 10c when outside temp (in shade) is 30c as that is what my jap truck achieved.

As I said above, it is only a trivial matter to me anyway as we don't get consistently hot weather over a long enough period to justify rejecting the vehicle for this single bad feature. In all other respects (performance, economy and running costs) my Corsa is perfect :cool: however it doesn't mean to say my opinion of its air con is any less valid.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's personal opinion, my golf produces very very cold air once you click the 'ice' button however if you just turn the knob to 'blue' then it's not exactly cold but like a mild breeze. It needs the compressor to kick-in to make 'ice cold air' but personally if I'm hot I tend to use the windows even though they supposedly make no difference to the heat. Being used to the heat of my work office probably helps so my tolerance to heat is higher than most would probably be, that said I haven't tried the air con and shall post once I have an opinion on it. I'm going to presume it to be 'adequate' for the car, being one of the most basic vauxhalls I can't see it being fab.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Could it be that ac have different manufacturer specifications for different countries?
Say an ac working in the UK should be different from one working in Africa, even fridge/freezers have different specs - tropical/sub tropical/normal.

I really hope so because with local shade temp in the range of 35+ and no cloud cover (42+ in the sun) I will need a proper cooling ac in my car.
Will report back on how it fares when I get the car delivered, should be in the next two days.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:
Could it be that ac have different manufacturer specifications for different countries?
Say an ac working in the UK should be different from one working in Africa, even fridge/freezers have different specs - tropical/sub tropical/normal.

I really hope so because with local shade temp in the range of 35+ and no cloud cover (42+ in the sun) I will need a proper cooling ac in my car.
Will report back on how it fares when I get the car delivered, should be in the next two days.
I would suspect so, it's probably another cost saving scheme for the cars in the UK. That or they expect those in hotter countries to upgrade to Climate Control.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes agreed that it could be country specific but most of the cars I've owned and driven that have been fitted with air con have produced far colder air than the Corsa and they were all UK spec cars however it could be that Toyota pickups had a better spec air con because they were required to transport terrorists around the Iraqi deserts - not much call for that in a Corsa I would have thought ;-)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Jarviser said:
More effective if you turn on the recirculation button - only need to cool 25% of incoming air rather than 100%
I do have the recirc button on!! I've been using air con for 25 years so it is not through lack of experience that I reckon its cr*p but FROM experience! ;)

I don't think the black roof on the LE helps because in direct sunshine driving along the motorway the A/C barely cools the car at all, you just get luke warm air coming through. In the shade it works better but then it sort of defeats the object as you don't generally drive around in the shade! ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
i can agree with the air con being crap on this car either the hotest or the coldest settings they suck compared to many cars i've been in before

1 - 12 of 12 Posts