Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am currently considering upgrading my Corsa D 1.4 non-turbo'd Excite to a new Corsa E Excite model and have a few questions:

- Does the Corsa E Excite model have heated wing mirrors? The Corsa D Excite does but online, reports seem to vary regarding the Corsa E Excite's wing mirrors?
- I am looking into the 1.0L 115PS engine but wondering how it will fare for motorway driving, as I do around 50/60 miles a day and around half of those are motorway driving. Also if anyone has any experience with this engine, would love to hear there reports.

Thanks

Kev

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I can't comment on the Excite but I agree that the heated mirror is not clearly documented in the specs for several models. The main vauxhall website does not show heated mirrors for the Limited Edition but I confirmed it with the dealer and they do have them. You had best check with vauxhall. Heated mirrors were a critical thing for me as I do alot of motorway mileage in bad weather.

I will be picking my car up this week (Corsa E 1.4T LE 3dr) and as I will be doing 300 miles a week of motorway driving I'll be reporting back quite soon on what it is like and what sort of mpg I get. I chose the 1.4 turbo as for my mostly motorway/A road driving it felt the more relaxed at motorway cruising speed.

Quite a lot of conflicting reports and views on this so I would urge you to test drive both and make sure you test them in the conditions you would normally drive in (eg. Motorway). The dealers tend to allow you all of 10 minutes on local roads which is no good for finding out how they perform on long motorway inclines in busy traffic conditions.

Ian

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have also looked into the 1.0T 115ps engine but the dealer only had a normal 1.4 LE and a 1.4T 100ps SRi vxline so I tested both! I must say the 1.4T was pretty fast and it made me think if I actually needed the 1.0T after all. They had the smaller turbo engine in an Adam but as it was in the showroom I would have to book in advance to try it. I am currently biding my time as either if the turbo engines would have to be factory ordered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, it does seem that even though the reviews are all talking about the 1.0L engines, not many people have purchased them yet.

My current 1.4L Corsa is fine, it just has no guts attempting to climb up hills and thats where I hoped the 1.0L turbo'd version would erradicate that. I am just slightly confused by the different engines they have.

To have a 1.0L turbo engine putting out more bhp then the bigger 1.4L turbo engine, seems very confusing to me but then again I am not very clued up on the technical side of things.

Anyone purchased an Excite model yet? Would really love to talk to someone about the exact features they actually come with.

Thanks,

Kev

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The 115PS of the 1.0T is recorded at 5000rpm, the 100PS of the 1.4T is recorded at 3500rpm so the figures can't be compared. The 1.4T has more power and torque than the 1.0T from 1800-3500rpm which is the rev range most people use in day to day driving.

The 1.0T was developed purely to get good results in the government EU emissions test which lasts 3 mins from cold on a rolling road. Engines are at their most fuel efficient when warm so a tiny engine warms up faster and does better in the test. However in the real world bigger engines often do much better once they have warmed up. Stick a couple of adults in the car on a slight incline and that 115PS soon becomes irrelevant compared to a bigger higher torque engine.

I would take with a pinch of salt what the motoring journalists say. Most of them are morons and actually know very little about cars or how to drive them. Most simply regurgitate the manufacturers press packs. I have spoken to several and when asked details such as actual mpg they simply quoted official figures as they had not bothered to do a proper brim to brim calculation. Not one of the magazines that I queried had noticed the different rpm's of the various PS readings and were making claims that widely differed to my experience when actually driving the cars.

So it is vital you test drive the cars yourself as we all have different views on what we consider powerful, quick or economical.

After all I also drive a classic Land Rover with just 26hp and yet it can happily power through feet of snow while towing out stuck VW golfs!! :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My current favourite (for numptiness) motoring review is auto express long term corsa 1.0T test. They complain that the boot won't fit four adults worth of suitcases :roll: while failing to highlight that their 1.0T small hatchback is getting just mid 30's mpg which is no better than I get from my 2 ton, 2.5litre brick shaped pickup truck. :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am only getting the 1.0 turbo sting r due to cheap tax and it's in price bracket. I currently have vw polo 1.4 match 70bhp I must admit I got dragged in the sales talk when I got it. Also I have a service plan with vw but they refusing to cancel but won't go in to detail regarding that. Anyways my car delivery date is 17th April I was meant to get an update on friday as that was its built date still nothing :-( still only got 1 tick.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Don't worry k.l.r, mine didn't go to 2nd step tick until two weeks after its build date! And got my step 3 tick a week after the step 2 :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mud4fun that's helped vauxhall not updating there systems. Just want my corsa now. Then to add drl to the bumper where on the specs of corsa fog lights are. Also get an aftermarket intelink system but might need local dealer to fit that to marry it up etc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyways back to topic.
Kevin I would suggest other engines that you get a deal on could be some on eBay maybes regurbished ones Fiesta 1.0 turbo, swift 1.6 that's pushes 136bhp I think or what about corsa c 1.8 Sri 120bhp.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
K.l.r said:
Anyways back to topic.
Kevin I would suggest other engines that you get a deal on could be some on eBay maybes regurbished ones Fiesta 1.0 turbo, swift 1.6 that's pushes 136bhp I think or what about corsa c 1.8 Sri 120bhp.
I think Kevin meant 'trading in' his Corsa D for a new Corsa E rather than upgrading the engine on the D :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there, I have the excite model with 1.0 engine, it doesn't have heated mirrors, and the engine is amazing it pulls really well, I have just come back from Lincoln (I live in London) car didn't struggle one bit

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the 1.0t and have to say it's surprisingly good, I have covered roughly about 1200 miles in just over two weeks and with a mixed change of pressure from the right foot I'm still averaging 47mpg over that 1200 miles. On the fuel I currently have in I've been averaging 50mpg so far. Although I don't go on a motorway for my daily commute most of my mileage has been me driving around aimlessly which has had me going to Blackpool and back quite a few times (roughly 45 miles from where I live) which does include mostly motorway. Hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
waiting for delivery of a 1.0 turbo excite next month, fed up with crap acceleration of current 1.2 energy,
No dealers I approached had a 1.0 turbo demonstrator, surely Vauxhall are missing a trick here?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
They certainly are! My dealer had a 1.4 LE and a 1.4t SRi VX Line that I tried. If I wanted to try the 1.0t I would need to book a slot to take the Adam out of the showroom as it was the only car with that engine in! I was actually really surprised at how quick the 1.4t is! I currently have the 1.2tsi Ibiza and that goes some, but the 1.4t just flew! Not sure I would really need the 1.0t after all. Obviously before i go ahead and order I will make sure I try all that I can before I decide!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked up my Corsa E 1.0 turbo yesterday, absolutely delighted with car, streets ahead of previous 1.2 Corsa D. Much quieter and smoother, power & torque much improved, pulls strongly in all gears. Wife disappointed that the passenger sun visor mirror has been omitted,

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Congrats! I had a Cora D 1.2 before my current car (Ibiza 1.2tsi) and the difference right away was amazing! You'll have to post some pics of your new car so we can all see!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts