Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than have all music on my phone, it hasn't got much room. I would like to put music/playlists on to a usb. Has anyone done this? and if so how do I go about it. I have loads of music on a pc in the house and I use both Logitech Media Server and itunes

thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi pks1414 you can simply copy the MP3 files to the usb stick. You can use folders but one thing to remember a complex folder structure will take longer for the system to read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all the music on a separate drive, name of artist, then album. trouble is my other half ha different music tastes, can we split into playlists?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Don't think the system in my sting does but the intelilink in higher models may need to check with others on here

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
As long as you put all the music under a root folder named MUSIC you should be fine. I have about 80 albums that I play via USB.

Intellilink doesn't support playlists AFAIK but from a USB stick it loads up the albums quite quickly into the menu structure so you can choose your music by artist, album etc. So you and your other half shouldn't have any issues as you can pick and choose your albums relatively easy from the menu within the audio player.

I find it a bit fiddly to use when driving though (requires your eyes off the road for too long IMHO) so I tend to pick the album I want before setting off.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
As long as you put all the music under a root folder named MUSIC you should be fine. I have about 80 albums that I play via USB.

Intellilink doesn't support playlists AFAIK but from a USB stick it loads up the albums quite quickly into the menu structure so you can choose your music by artist, album etc. So you and your other half shouldn't have any issues as you can pick and choose your albums relatively easy from the menu within the audio player.

I find it a bit fiddly to use when driving though (requires your eyes off the road for too long IMHO) so I tend to pick the album I want before setting off.
Never tried a USB stick but I can say the Intellilink definitely picks up the playlists on my iPod when connected via USB if that makes much difference.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah, I normally play music direct from my windows phone via USB however I tried a USB stick a few weeks ago and was impressed. The album details loaded up much quicker than from the phone.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I often use the USB stick with my car and it usually starts straight away. Also it plays from where you previously listened to, as opposed to starting over. However i havent managed to get it to play playlists, it plays everything through in alphabetical order.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yeah, I normally play music direct from my windows phone via USB however I tried a USB stick a few weeks ago and was impressed. The album details loaded up much quicker than from the phone.
I'm not going to drag it up again too much but my Sony Xperia is only semi-compatible with the car, it comes up playback source not available/not supported or something like that but will then play music from my phone, I can change track using the Intellilink or the steering wheel controls but if I use the phone itself to play a song/change track I get a song playing from the phone speaker totally independently of what's playing through the car :lol: and it doesnt play from the last song which was playing on my phone like the iPod does, it starts at a totally random song, I.E. not the first or last song on my playlist or library either, that might not bother most because they're still able to play their phone in the car via USB, but it bothers me because its not 100% hence why I now only use my phone to play music via Bluetooth and connect the iPod via USB.

Interestingly no matter which of them I connect via USB and although the iPod works faultlessly (obviously because the Vauxhall ICE system was designed to have "USB socket with iPod control" ) before they begin playing music and show the track name on the Intellilink screen, for a brief moment they both show "Update" in exactly the same place, and in the same font/wording as the track name on the Intellilink screen, so I'm not sure if maybe the USB port/firmware needs updated or if in the messing about trying to get my phone to work properly with the car ive put the USB in some sort of update mode.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hendry, all my family have used their various devices in my car from USB sticks with windows media files on them, ipods, Samsung galaxy, iphone, windows phones etc and every device has worked OK. The Samsung was the worst performance as it was dreadfully slow to sync up all the music and struggled to play video but it didn't throw any errors. The windows phones perform the best of all the phones we've tried for all round performance of music, photos and video which contradicts your findings. However the USB stick was easily the fastest for loading and playing music. All phones performed equally for phone functions via Bluetooth.

Edit: So I reckon your intellilink may be faulty rather than your phone not compatible? Mine doesn't have an onstar logo for a start so ours may be different software versions. I'll check mine tomorrow and let you know.

Edit2: All the phones and the USB stick play from the first track every time the are re-connected so that is also different behaviour.

Edit3: Playing music from phone directly will cause two different tracks to play at same time, that is not a fault. The intellilink plays your phones music as though it was simply a mapped drive. It doesn't override the phone apps so if you decide to play music from a phone app at the same time (not sure why you would do this????) then it will play both at same time. Just the same as mine does and just about any other phone too. Mine even does this when plugged into the PC. It is not a fault, just you not using it as intended! ;-) I play music from my phone via intellilink but at the same time I use my phones sat nav app. I could in theory also have the phone playing music too if I chose and could even have it play to a separate sound system in the rear for the kids to listen to one set of music while we listen to another.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hendry, my intellilink system version is:

HW: 95441721
SW: 103.2-13467769

Is yours later than that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've realised the downside to using USB, as I have an iphone, I cannot use the satnav software because the phone has to be plugged in, why doesnt it work via bluetooth. Big let down with the satnav

·
Registered
455 Posts
I found the satnav to cost a lot for what it is, which I've got no real use to have it as it's not exactly tomtom or garmen. You could have two different USB sticks for one another, just swap them for your own music preference

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I use the here+ sat nav app on my windows phone because it is better than the app on intellilink, has free unlimited mapping and maps are stored locally so doesn't need a data connection. It is power hungry though so I have to use the USB for power. Thus I tend to play music off the phone even though USB stick gives better performance.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Edit3: Playing music from phone directly will cause two different tracks to play at same time, that is not a fault. The intellilink plays your phones music as though it was simply a mapped drive. It doesn't override the phone apps so if you decide to play music from a phone app at the same time (not sure why you would do this????) then it will play both at same time. Just the same as mine does and just about any other phone too. Mine even does this when plugged into the PC. It is not a fault, just you not using it as intended! ;-) I play music from my phone via intellilink but at the same time I use my phones sat nav app. I could in theory also have the phone playing music too if I chose and could even have it play to a separate sound system in the rear for the kids to listen to one set of music while we listen to another.
See I thought it was a fault because when my Mrs iPhone or my iPod are connected via USB if you change track on the phone/iPod itself it it also changes the track in the car/on the Intellilink as thought the car/Intellilink and iPhone/iPod are communicating with each other. So if the behaviour of my phone is normal in regard to playing separate music from its own speaker which is different to what its playing in the car via USB then how come the apple stuff works differently when connected?

The reason we change track on the phone itself is my Mrs will normally be texting or on Facebook on her phone whilst it's connected to the car so if a song comes on we don't want to listen to she will just change it on the phone meaning I don't have to.

I have already called the Vauxhall customer care Infotainment helpline and spoke to 1 of the 2 guys who covers the whole of the UK and he checked the compatibility list and said my phone wasn't on it so it was possible it either hasn't been tested or isnt compatible. The reason I think my phone may not been compatible is my mum has the Xperia M2 Aqua and ive tried plugging it in via USB and it doesn't come up "playback source not available" like mine does and mines the exact same phone except its not the slightly newer waterproof version.

It is very strange in that case because going by what you're saying my phone is working fine with the USB/Intellilink, I had thought it was allowing me to play music on the phone itself because it wasn't supported hence was glitchy, because it works fine otherwise too, I can view photos and videos off my phone on the Intellilink screen via the gallery menu etc. So not quite sure why it's saying playback source not available when it obviously is available because it does play music from that particular source I.E. my phone.

I'm not sure how to get the software details/version up to compare with yours, what screen is it in? My cars been back to the dealers a few times now and been plugged in to the diagnostic machine so its entirely possible mines been updated.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My phone is on the approved list Hendry and it still works the same as yours, as does my daughters Galaxy. Not sure why the iphone doesn't but then it is a more restrictive O/S.

If anything it sounds like the iphone is not working! I would not want intellilink taking over my phone when connected so I am happy with the way mine works.

The hardware and software versions are in the menu. Go to main menu, click on the settings icon and scroll down and you should see 'system version' menu option.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
If anything it sounds like the iphone is not working! I would not want intellilink taking over my phone when connected so I am happy with the way mine works.
I doubt that because both the iPhone and iPod do it, must just be an apple specific thing.

On well I'm a bit happier that my phone seems to be working OK with the car in that case, just need to get to the bottom of the "playback source not available" message, I would understand it saying that if my phone didn't work in the car but the fact it does leaves me puzzled as to why it's saying it won't work but does :S and why not matter what's plugged into the USB before it starts playing music it comes up "Update" but not like a message or an error, of just replaces a song title briefly.

I will check the software version later and get back to you.

I will

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mud, I checked my software version earlier and I've got exactly those figures, however it appears that's not the software version, those are the hardware and software part numbers rather than their versions.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Um, odd, it says system version on the menu option which on any piece of software means the build/release number.

It could be the part number refers to a specific software build. In theory each build may need a part number in order for VX to handle the logistics of ordering and installing updates?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts