Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it'll be biased views on here but that's what I'm hoping for in order to convince myself.

I know it may be very difficult, but could people please tell me what they think the Corsa does or has which is superior over the VW Polo?

What made you get the Corsa over the Polo or maybe something else.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The polo looks like an old german grannies car, boring and nondescript styling.

There is no decent mid sized petrol engine that offers the blend of performance AND economy that the VX 1.4T offers. On paper, like Ford, VW offers higher power and higher claimed mpg but in real world driving you can't achieve them whereas the VX 1.4T beats the official figures without trying very hard. In real world driving the Fiesta and Polo both got worse mpg than the Corsa on the same drive at the same speed with the same driving style.

If I'd have been after a diesel I may have gone with a Fiesta or Fabia as they have better diesel options but diesels will soon be dead. The next round of EU emission legislation will mean diesel cars being worthless in a few years time so I went to the best petrol engine on offer.

The Polo is also stupidly expensive for what it is.

I test drove one the week before test driving the Corsa and it was a no brainer, the Corsa offered youthful good looks, performance, economy and far better value for money for equal specification.

The Polo has better perceived build quality but I work in the motor trade and know all too well that VW and even BMW build quality is not the same as it was and not worth the premium.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drove the VW polo sel it drives really nice and is quick for a 1.2 turbo but the one that I looked at was £4000 more than the corsa which I drove, the corsa is a higher spec than then the polo as the corsa that I have got which is the excite model has auto lights and wipers, heated windscreen heated seats and steering wheel which the polo has none of these the corsa that I brought was £14000 and the polo was £18000 I don't think it is worth the extra money for a lesser spec car

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Remember too that for about £400 you can have the Corsa 1.4T mapped to 150PS so it then matches the Polo 1.4tsi 150PS for power while costing many thousands less. Polo is just not worth that money. In fact you can now have VXR for the same price as the 1.4tsi Polo and there is simply no comparison, it would be VXR over Polo without a seconds thought.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
The polo looks like an old german grannies car, boring and nondescript styling.

There is no decent mid sized petrol engine that offers the blend of performance AND economy that the VX 1.4T offers. On paper, like Ford, VW offers higher power and higher claimed mpg but in real world driving you can't achieve them whereas the VX 1.4T beats the official figures without trying very hard. In real world driving the Fiesta and Polo both got worse mpg than the Corsa on the same drive at the same speed with the same driving style.

If I'd have been after a diesel I may have gone with a Fiesta or Fabia as they have better diesel options but diesels will soon be dead. The next round of EU emission legislation will mean diesel cars being worthless in a few years time so I went to the best petrol engine on offer.

The Polo is also stupidly expensive for what it is.

I test drove one the week before test driving the Corsa and it was a no brainer, the Corsa offered youthful good looks, performance, economy and far better value for money for equal specification.

The Polo has better perceived build quality but I work in the motor trade and know all too well that VW and even BMW build quality is not the same as it was and not worth the premium.
We had 11 plate Polo 1.2 base models and 61 plate 1.4 Match models at work and I didn't think the interior quality was all that good tbh. VW has long since been OK cars (as in no better than Ford, Vauxhall, Kia, Hyundai) with clever/good marketing. My dad has a Jetta which does feel solid and good build quality but its not as good as people think. But that's a big car, and it was expensive so it should be good, but the Polo, Fox and Up! Arent anything special.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.