Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals! I was just wondering about warranty - do you have to take the car back to the dealer you bought it from if there are any issues that need to be addressed under warranty? Reason I ask is that I live on the Isle of Wight but am looking into a Corsa in Southampton. I wouldn't want to book a ferry to take the car over should anything go wrong, so wondered if warranty issues can be addressed at any dealership? My preference would be to buy on the Island, but am open to the possibility of going to the mainland if I can get a better deal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. As long as the garage you take it too use genuine Vauxhall parts then it is covered. There was a court case about this a few years back I think.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, have actually spoken to the dealer since I posted and he confirmed warranty work can be done by the dealer on the Island, but in order for the lifetime/100,000 warranty that they are still running, it would need to be serviced by them. He also confirmed that there are currently no 1.4T SE available in the UK, but he tried to offer me a 1.0T 90ps SE for less than a 1.4T. Might have to see if I can get that same deal from the Island dealer instead me thinks! Back in Feb when I first looked into a new Corsa there were no turbo engines available at all, so I thought by waiting it would be quicker. Obviously not then! Edit, actually, thinking about it, the 1.4T is cheaper than the 1.0T anyway! Doh! Definitely not going to jump into anything too fast. Should be new offers for Q3 out next month.

·
Registered
961 Posts
LeachiE said:
Ok thanks, have actually spoken to the dealer since I posted and he confirmed warranty work can be done by the dealer on the Island, but in order for the lifetime/100,000 warranty that they are still running, it would need to be serviced by them. He also confirmed that there are currently no 1.4T SE available in the UK, but he tried to offer me a 1.0T 90ps SE for less than a 1.4T. Might have to see if I can get that same deal from the Island dealer instead me thinks! Back in Feb when I first looked into a new Corsa there were no turbo engines available at all, so I thought by waiting it would be quicker. Obviously not then! Edit, actually, thinking about it, the 1.4T is cheaper than the 1.0T anyway! Doh! Definitely not going to jump into anything too fast. Should be new offers for Q3 out next month.
Not sure if its still different where you are but when I bought the Corsa I was chuffed with the idea of lifetime warranty until the salesman had to point out it was now back to the standard 3 years/60,000 miles warranty. Seemingly due to the amount of Vauxhalls being bought on PCP and changed for a new one every 3 years they didn't think there was much point keeping it going, Personally I think it was costing them too much and they were getting stung for expensive bills they wouldn't normally have to fork out for on a 3year/60k one so reverted back to cut costs, either way it's no longer running anywhere in the UK AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
961 Posts
LeachiE said:
It is still running at Doves Vauxhall in Southampton! Scroll down nearer the bottom of this vehicle on their site http://www.motorparks.co.uk/new-car-offer/vauxhall-corsa-14i-90ps-ecoflex-sting-5dr/?offerid=21183 Only stipulation is that you take the car back to them for a service once a year. All other warranty work can be done via any dealer.
It says lifetime warranty exclusive to that dealer so I'm going to guess they put their own warranty on it after the standard 3 year/60k one runs out.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/144403/vauxhall-withdraws-lifetime-warranty

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah, VX have definitely terminated their lifetime warranty so the dealer is misleading. The dealer may offer their own warranty but the terms are likely to be different or it will be more costly. I would carefully compare the dealers claimed lifetime warranty with what VX offered under their scheme. I agree with Hendry that the likely reasons that VX scrapped their scheme would suggest it was too costly so it makes you wonder how the dealer can afford to offer it unless it doesn't cover the same things?

I personally wouldn't choose the 1.0T even in 115PS form over the 1.4T and certainly not the lower powered 1.0T. The 115PS was gutless at lower to mid rpm range and the lower power version is simply a restricted version of it so you don't get the higher power at higher rpm and you don't have any torque at lower rpm either so the worst of both worlds!! They've probably not got any 1.4T's left because they've outsold the 1.0T's ;-) ;-)

The 115PS 1.0T will probably be better suited for the IOW than the 1.4T as I found its characteristics suited short blasts in lower gears whereas the 1.4T effortlessly cruises at high speed in high gears and doesn't really like trundling around at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mud4fun said:
Yeah, VX have definitely terminated their lifetime warranty so the dealer is misleading. The dealer may offer their own warranty but the terms are likely to be different or it will be more costly. I would carefully compare the dealers claimed lifetime warranty with what VX offered under their scheme. I agree with Hendry that the likely reasons that VX scrapped their scheme would suggest it was too costly so it makes you wonder how the dealer can afford to offer it unless it doesn't cover the same things?

I personally wouldn't choose the 1.0T even in 115PS form over the 1.4T and certainly not the lower powered 1.0T. The 115PS was gutless at lower to mid rpm range and the lower power version is simply a restricted version of it so you don't get the higher power at higher rpm and you don't have any torque at lower rpm either so the worst of both worlds!! They've probably not got any 1.4T's left because they've outsold the 1.0T's ;-) ;-)

The 115PS 1.0T will probably be better suited for the IOW than the 1.4T as I found its characteristics suited short blasts in lower gears whereas the 1.4T effortlessly cruises at high speed in high gears and doesn't really like trundling around at slow speeds.
I told the dealer 'no thanks' on his offer anyway. He was rather insistent that it was a today only deal as there were only 3 left. I stood my ground and declined. I think I'll know when the right deal comes along. I would need to test drive the 1.4T for a bit longer and possibly drive my route to work and see how she fares. It's mostly 30 and 40mph limits with the odd 50mph or nsl stretches depending on which route I take. How does Dafny feel around town? Does it feel like you are holding her back all the time? I think I really need to test drive the 1.0T 115ps first before I decide. The smaller turbo is also around £800 more expensive too (I think, without looking on the website), so there is also that to consider.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi Leachie, yes Dafny does not like going slow. It is almost impossible to keep within the speed limits around town as she has oodles of torque at quite low rpm and the slightest pressure on the accelerator in lower gears results in very rapid jumps in speed. It becomes tiresome constantly reigning her in. Also the 6 speed gear ratios are not well spaced for town driving, they are more for open road high speed driving. 6th for example allows Dafny to cruise at 80mph at just 2500rpm, at 50mph she is only doing 1500rpm which she struggles with because it is just below the torque band so she is verging on labouring so minimum speed for 6th is really 50mph which means you'd probably never use it!

Of course 80% of my mileage is A road and motorway at 50-70mph so she is perfect but your situation is almost the opposite.

Her mpg is also poor around town. She struggles to get better than 38mpg in short shopping trips to local town at lower speeds. She does however get close to 70mpg at speeds above 50mph which proves my point that she is better suited for my type of journey.

Yours is a difficult choice, a 1.4na would suffice for your journey type but you also want a bit of poke too. The 1.0T 115PS is probably best for you I reckon?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Hi Leachie, yes Dafny does not like going slow. It is almost impossible to keep within the speed limits around town as she has oodles of torque at quite low rpm and the slightest pressure on the accelerator in lower gears results in very rapid jumps in speed. It becomes tiresome constantly reigning her in. Also the 6 speed gear ratios are not well spaced for town driving, they are more for open road high speed driving. 6th for example allows Dafny to cruise at 80mph at just 2500rpm, at 50mph she is only doing 1500rpm which she struggles with because it is just below the torque band so she is verging on labouring so minimum speed for 6th is really 50mph which means you'd probably never use it!

Of course 80% of my mileage is A road and motorway at 50-70mph so she is perfect but your situation is almost the opposite.

Her mpg is also poor around town. She struggles to get better than 38mpg in short shopping trips to local town at lower speeds. She does however get close to 70mpg at speeds above 50mph which proves my point that she is better suited for my type of journey.

Yours is a difficult choice, a 1.4na would suffice for your journey type but you also want a bit of poke too. The 1.0T 115PS is probably best for you I reckon?
I second this. Having had my car for two days now I am noticing all of the above. Impressive engine, but hard to hold at a steady 30!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mud4fun said:

See, that's the engine I was after originally, yet everyone raved about how much better the 1.4T is so I changed my mind! Also the 1.4T is cheaper than the 1.0T. Has anyone driven both the 1.0T and the 1.4T? I test drove the 1.4 n/a and it was rather nice, but I am used to my small turbo engine so I think it would take a lot of getting used to, going back to one without after 4 years!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It entirely depends on what you want from the engine, how you drive and your journey type.

I have driven both the 1.0T (on my test drive) and the 1.4T (in Dafny) and it is a no brainer, the 1.4T is far superior for my circumstances.

You'll also find that lots of people on here will have also liked the fact that the 1.4T is highly tuneable so can be made to get 160+hp very easily. The same can't be said of the 1.0T for several reasons 1) it is a new engine and there are very few if any people with remapped versions or even offering remaps and 2) the 1.4T's larger capacity is naturally going to give you more power than the 1.0T for the same relative map for the same engine rpm. The 1.0T would have to rev far higher to get the same power and that would cause significant reduction in engine life. While the stock 1.4T has less peak power than the 1.0T it has the most potential for having the most peak power after it has been modified.

Of course the 1.0T is also significantly more expensive than the 1.4T so for most people the marginal difference in performance is not worth the extra money, especially as the 1.4T is actually more powerful and has more torque than the 1.0T in the rev range that most people use in daily driving.

The biggest advantages of the 1.0T over the 1.4T as far as I can tell is that it will warm up faster and combine that with its smaller capacity it should give far better mpg in very short local journeys. So if you do most of your annual mileage trundling a few mles to the shops and back then the 1.0T will ultimately use less fuel. The opposite is true if you spend most of your time at motorway speeds like me!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't very often drive to town unless I need something heavy or bulky. My shortest journey is just over a mile to my daughters and a mile back again, but I could take a longer route home, which I would probably want to in a new car anyway! I want something that has enough get up and go for my occasional mainland drives - it's not the fact of driving, it's the cost of the damn ferries to get the car off the Island to go anywhere! I think I definitely need to test drive both turbo engines along my route to work before I commit so I can see which one would be suitable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.