Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where Corsas are built. I remember when my brother ordered his Ibiza he was told that the factory closes during August!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
They are built in Spain mostly. Mine is Spanish according to its VIN.

The VXR's may be built in Germany though.

The Corsa is not built in Korea, that is the Viva I believe.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
They are built in Spain mostly. Mine is Spanish according to its VIN.

The VXR's may be built in Germany though.

The Corsa is not built in Korea, that is the Viva I believe.
Can't remember where i saw it, or whether it was my dealer that told me - but i was definitely informed that the new Corsa E was built in South Korea.
I think they started making all new model VX's in South Korea to 'keep cost down and increase quality in parts' - or something like that :lol:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
No, you were informed wrong. Corsa is built in Spain. The new Viva/Karl is actually based on the platform that is already built in Korea I believe.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, does this mean that Corsa production will stop during August, like SEAT does? Maybe that's partly why there are still such long waiting times!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
No idea, would be strange to have a month off these days? When I worked in heavy manufacturing we had to have shut downs twice a year for machine and factory maintenance, it was generally 1 week in summer and 1 week in winter. Our customers weren't even happy with that one week!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Many EU countries have various industrial breaks, i think spain does close many manufacturing plants during summer time, other countries do it during christmas etc.

I suspect Vauxhall probably continue though, as there have been some people on here who have been quoted August delivery dates.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Shutdowns were a nightmare because we only got 4 weeks annual leave and two of those weeks had to be taken over the shutdown weeks which were decided by the company. You had no choice so it caused issues booking holidays etc. Glad I got out of engineering and moved into IT - now have 31 days annual leave and can take whenever I choose :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Shutdowns were a nightmare because we only got 4 weeks annual leave and two of those weeks had to be taken over the shutdown weeks which were decided by the company. You had no choice so it caused issues booking holidays etc. Glad I got out of engineering and moved into IT - now have 31 days annual leave and can take whenever I choose :)
I can supposedly take whenever i want, but the company shuts for a bit over christmas - so in effect, unless you want to work over christmas with no one else in, you're forced to take 4-5 days :lol:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Oddly enough Christmas is the one time of year that I have problems because I have to cover for a colleague when his is away and between us we provide 24/7/365 support for our systems. We are not allowed to be off at same time so I have to work every other Christmas. Not too bad though because it is nice and quiet but poor kids don't get to see me much then. The higher salaries tend to come with a price! ;-)

·
Registered
961 Posts
I work in a zero hour contract job which is rubbish in a way because not guaranteed hours, don't know when you'll finish each day, could go in at 9 and be done for 2pm, could go in at 7 and not be done until 7 at night etc, and poor pay, however on the plus side you can take days off whenever you want without using your holidays or getting into trouble for being off too much, don't get paid obviously but if you do enough long shifts the days you are in you have a full weeks wages anyway, its so busy that even with the staff we have you are pretty much always doing at least a 45 hour week, and the holidays are done in hours rather than days, something like 0.13 hours for every hour you work up to a Max of 45 per week which works out at roughly 23 hours a month, so it's probably about the same as getting 30 days off. However since the place closes for 3 days at Christmas and New year anyway,you don't have to use your holidays for them, you can just get the days off unpaid and keep your holiday hours for elsewhere, its not an ideal position to be in but I'd struggle in a job with set hours and a set contracted number of worked hours each week as its nice to be able to just decide from one week to the next you fancy a week day off and tell the boss you won't be in.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
That is interesting Hendry. You hear so much negative stuff about zero hour contracts in the press that I wasn't aware of any positives to them at all.

To be honest, while I'm full time employed on a damned good salary and am meant to work just 37.5 hours a week because I'm the senior developer I have stacks of responsibility and work to do. So I typically work about 60 hours a week during a new product development, so 4 weeks at 60 hours, 4 weeks at 37.5 then another 4 weeks at 60 hours and so on. Anything I have to do above 37.5 is unpaid.

In most companies like mine they don't pay overtime at my job level. You wouldn't have got the job in the first place if you were only interested in the money. While on paper I'm in the top 20% of UK wage earners, the reality is that if you divide my salary by the hours I do I'm probably not earning much more per hour than most people. As I'm supporting a wife and 3 kids and get hammered by the tax man I end up broke most of the time - hence the reason I'm driving a Corsa and not a Ferrari ;-)

If you want to be wealthy don't have kids!!! ;-)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Corsa's are built at Eisenach Germany alongside the ADAM, but main production is at Zaragoza Spain alongside the Mokka and Meriva.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes Stevewolves I had heard they built some in Germany but believe they are just OPC's (equivalent of VXR?). I was hoping mine might be a German one but sadly VIN shows Spain.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine is being built in spain at the beginning of july with an estimated arrival to dealer of beginning of august. What the difference in vin numbers of german and spanish cars?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
One of the digits on the VIN is the OPEL plant code, mine is Zaragoza/Spain as Steve said. Give me 20 mins and I'll dig out the list

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Um, this is curious. My VIN shows plant code 6.

When I checked a couple of months ago plant code 6 was coming up as Zaragoza/spain and plant code 1 was germany but now all the google searches are showing 4 as Zaragoza/spain and 6 as Eisenach/Germany!!

I've just tried some decoders and they all come back as made in Germany.

I'm now well confused :?: :oops:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts