Broke Headlight Holder

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
Mh94

Broke Headlight Holder

Post by Mh94 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi

I've been an idiot, my headlight blew today (2016 with halogens) and as I have a spare in the car went to change it. Got as far as getting the bulb out of the headlight unit, but when trying to get the bulb out I accidentally snapped the pushy thing(don't know what to call it, see picture).

I'm wondering what to do, still can't get the bulb out and not sure I can fit without it being badly aligned as won't clip back in.
Do you think I'll need to go to Vauxhall and get charged I assume a fair chunk of money or will Halfords be able to work some magic for a lot less money.
Any suggestions?
2016 1.4 N/A LE Carbon Flash

srihaggis

Re: Broke Headlight Holder

Post by srihaggis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:36 pm

It isn't this part which is broken by any chance?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2764&p=22722#p22722

If so, unless VX have come to sense and made it as a spare part, then it's a new headlamp unit job as per what I had to have done, but under warranty for manufacturing defect as we didn't touch it, they replaced the whole headlamp unit.
MY16 1.4 Auto Energy 5 door Persian Blue, OnStar & Intellilink 4.0.

Mh94

Post by Mh94 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi

Thanks, not the same part.

My iPhone images won't upload, have used your image and circled the part that's snapped, hope you don't mind.

I'm praying it's not a new headlight unit, even on Ebay it's over £100 and as I can't change a bulb without breaking something I wouldn't attempt to change the headlight. :(

Thanks

20161015_171310_zpsa6a5yu1o.jpg

Mh94

Post by Mh94 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Actually, looking at the picture from that angle, is that part necessary? doesn't actually look necessary in fitting the bulb.
On a side note (might just ask pay Halfords to do it as I am a useless man) how does the bulb come out the holder, tried pushing, pulling, up, down and couldn't get it out, that's when I snapped the part.

TheGeorge

Post by TheGeorge » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 am

Bulb comes out when you rotate it, counterclockwise I believe. Also word of caution: DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS. If you did, wipe off any fingerprints with some alcohol, any residue on the bulb glass leads to a colder spot when the bulb is lit, and this can drastically shorten the bulb life.
Corsa E - 1.4T
MY 2016

paul.cocallis

Post by paul.cocallis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am

you dont rotate the bulb to remove it. in the above pic, the part which is circled in red, you push that in then carefully pull the whole connector and it will have the bulb attached to it. so just pull the bulb out of the holder then pop the new one in and just carefully place it back in the correct place and should hear a click when its fully pushed in and locked in place

Mh94

Post by Mh94 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 am

Went to Halfords this morning who couldn't fit th bulb as would dazzle other drivers without the catch. So went to Vauxhall who were helpful but unfortunately that part requires a new headlight unit, which they said would be £200 and actually suggested trying a scrap yard, local one didn't have any Corsa e's in stock

paul.cocallis

Post by paul.cocallis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:22 pm

you could always try ebay, a lot of scrapyards sell parts on ebay and most of them will post it out too. £200 dont sound too bad as had to ring up vauxhall for my bro for a rear light for the corsa d and they wanted just a little over £100 lol. other than that its trying your local car shops or maybe a company like euro car parts

srihaggis

Post by srihaggis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:21 pm

The revised headlamp unit is absolutely crap (compared to Corsa D). Nothing should be breaking this soon. I think there must be a more serious underlying problem, eg to me, its as if when they moulded the plastics, they got the 'mix' wrong, making it brittle - ours was broken without touching it, yours broke just changing a bulb. I think I will look into this more deeply.

I read somewhere when your indicator bulb goes, that also needs a new headlamp unit as the indicator bulb is 'sealed'... not checked my self.
MY16 1.4 Auto Energy 5 door Persian Blue, OnStar & Intellilink 4.0.

paul.cocallis

Post by paul.cocallis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 pm

the indicator uses the same bulb as the corsa d face lift according to vauxhall but its a long life bulb. which they can be replaced. however its a vauxhall part only and its £50 as i rang up the other day for a price on washer bottle cap and thought for a laugh i would ask for a price on the indicator bulb lol