New Car -Steering dangerously light at 60+mph - is this normal?

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
AutumnGold

New Car -Steering dangerously light at 60+mph - is this normal?

Post by AutumnGold » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:42 pm

<r><B><s></s>Please advise me fellow Corsa drivers if the following is normal in this car?<e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
I have had a brand new <B><s></s>Corsa 1.4i (90PS) SE Nav for 6 weeks<e></e></B> and I have only now driven it at motorway speeds ( to Cornwall and back). At speeds of 60+ the steering becomes extremely light and the car unstable (like the slightest wind or movement would push it into the other lane), so much so that I had to cling on to the wheel and drop down to 55mph to feel back in control. <br/>
<br/>
My tyres were inflated by the dealership to 34psi. On arrival in Cornwall I checked the web and decided to reduce them to 31psi in the hope this would solve the problem. On the return journey it did feel a bit better at 55mph but as soon as I increased speed to over 60 the same thing happened.</r>

The only other thing I noticed was that the screen that sits between the rev counter and milometer, that shows the digital speed, started to flash off for a second then come back, but not when driving at say 40. Not sure if this is connected. (It has not done it since when driving around town)

I am a very experienced motorway driver and I had a Corsa D 1.3CD I for 11 years, no problems. Other than this it is driving fine.

Dealership is proposing to charge me £65 if they find nothing wrong with it, so I don't want to put it in, if my steering experience is normal - and the Corsa E is like this at higher speeds for everyone.

Many thanks in advance for your replies/advice.
New 2019 Corsa 1.4i (90PS) SE Nav - 3 door

Marksparks

Re: New Car -Steering dangerously light at 60+mph - is this normal?

Post by Marksparks » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Nope not normal, the steering is much lighter than the Corsa D Diseasal... i have one, the Wife has a 1.4 90Ps Griffin, the power steering is much lighter, but not to the extent you would be scared to take it over 60mph.

cornersruns

Post by cornersruns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 am

I find vauxhall steering to be a bit twitchy, several Astras for the wife and my Corsa E ( compared to say a ford focus which is very precise steering ) but not so light that it is dangerous. So something not quite right there.
Screen blanking mine does the same, blanks every now and then, not had this investigated but I suspect it's normal.

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

Have you had the wheel alignment checked/adjusted?

Mine felt like it was wondering all over the road and unstable at higher speeds. It took 3 different places to get it right. Even my local Vauxhall dealer reckoned to have checked it and said it was ok.

I'd take it to a proper mechanic to check the wheel alignment over a tyre centre any day going off my experiences. Two tyre centres couldn't get it right but a local mechanic got it spot on and it feels loads better now.

That being said, it is a small light car. So it is susceptible to be blown about a bit more in high winds. It's never going to feel as stable at higher speeds as something like a Focus, Golf or 3 series but it should never feel dangerous. If it does then something isn't right and it wants investigating. I'd suspect wheel alignment, even on a new car it could be out. A good local mechanic/garage should be able to check and do it for you for about £30-£40.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Check the tyre load settings from the Driver Information centre

Page 214 of the Drivers manual explains this in more detail

autoseo

Post by autoseo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 am

maybe you pushed city steering mode button?
2017, 1.4 90hp, Opel

H.sahota99

Post by H.sahota99 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 pm

autoseo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 am
Don't think its possible to use it after 20mph. I know if you turn it on then go over 20mph it turns itself off automatically.

Marksparks

Post by Marksparks » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:46 pm

autoseo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 am
where is this magic little button... I havent noticed it?

AutumnGold

Post by AutumnGold » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your kind replies to my post.

You have all made me think that it is indeed the car. And something is not right. I have decided to take it initially to a local mechanic who is very experienced with Vauxhalls. I have asked if he will take it on a test drive at speed for me, and give his opinion.

I will enquire about the wheel alignment that Mattb_srivx suggested, thanks. It does indeed feel like I am keeping it from wandering at high speed. The mechanic would be able to do the wheel alignment if needed.

I will also check the tyre load settings are right as I have put the tyres at 31psi now.

I have not touched the city steering button at all (and it is not lit) - but that's not to say the car isn't getting mixed up.....it seems the more tech a car has the more that can go wrong!

Once I have an independent mechanics opinion I will feel on firmer ground taking it back to the dealer and insisting they put it right, knowing they can't keep charging me saying they have found nothing.

I will let you know what is discovered in case anyone else is in the same situation.

Thanks again.
New 2019 Corsa 1.4i (90PS) SE Nav - 3 door

Return to “Faults & Technical”