Vauxhall wheels

Wanted section. Corsa E / Vauxhall related items only please.
hendry

Re: Vauxhall wheels

Post by hendry » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:52 pm

mud4fun wrote:According to a couple of tyre specs I found online my tyres will have had 7.3mm of tread depth when new.

This means my rears have only lost 0.3mm and my front have lost 0.8mm in 11K miles.

This gives an estimated life (down to 3mm which is the minimum I would ever go on a tyre) of 60K miles for the fronts and 150K miles for the rears :D However tyres wear faster as they reduce in rubber so in reality the fronts will probably only last 50K miles and the rears only 120K miles.

I also do not like these tyres. They are lethal on ice as I found out earlier in the year when Dafny slid clean across the road on an icy road at a very low speed. I'd driven the exact same road every day for 12 years in numerous vehicles and on sheet ice, slush and snow and have never slid before. All my other vehicles are fitted with soft compound, siped winter tyres during winter months though so I was complacent. I will be fitting winters to Dafny as soon as I can afford them. While my other vehicles were 4x4's they only run in RWD normally and even in RWD on their winter tyres they had far higher levels of grip than Dafny on the Contintentals which are a hard compound tyre. Summer use only really. They are also REALLY noisy compared to even the mud tyres on my Land Rover!
jarviser wrote:Another theory blown! I just let them all down to 32, turned on the ignition, there it was, 4 displays at 32!
:lol: looks like we'll be paying for new batteries in the senders sooner than expected then?

Yes the noise from them is one of the main reasons I dislike them, very rumbly and harsh, probably ideal for what they were designed for (Eco purposes) but the ride on them is so much harsher than previous vehicles I've had with 17s and low profile 205/40/17 tyres, even budget low profiles. The Premium Contacts on the Corsa D with 16" wheels are far smoother and refined, oddly though the 17" Eco Contacts on the courtesy LE I have just now are noticeably not as bad as the 16" ones on my own car.

There's no real call for winter tyres here, it's always bloody cold and raining but snow and ice aren't usually a problem, besides in Glasgow and surrounding areas it's usually so congested when bad weather does hit that you are wither moving at snails pace - quite literally - so no chance of losing it or its so busy you just don't go out.

I'm not sure if they are even still made but if they are I'll be changing to Goodyear Eagle F1s

Regards renewing the batteries in the Tpms sensors/valves, it'll probably be easier and cheaper to just replace the whole valve/sensor with a new one.
2015 Corsa E 1.4i 90PS ecoFLEX 3 Door SRi

mud4fun

Post by mud4fun » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Winter tyres aren't just for ice and snow. They give far better traction and braking performance on tarmac in cold conditions, better grip on wet roads etc. The difference in traction in cold or poor conditions is like night and day when comparing to the naff hard all season or summer compound tyres most cars are fitted with. My siped winter tyres can drive on sheet ice up a steep hill with virtually no slip.

While we don't have much snow in the UK we do get icy conditions for a few months a year, especially at 4am which is when I set off for work. I've swapped to winter tyres on virtually every vehicle I've owned for 30 years. In my opinion they should be mandatory in the UK. The chaos that descends on UK roads every time we get 0.01mm of snow is ridiculous.

Although it seems to get worse the further south you go, possibly because the southern softies have asbolutely no driving skills on ice or snow as they don't experience it as often as Northerners ;-)
Dafny - 3dr LE 1.4T in Limelight Green

Jarviser

Post by Jarviser » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:09 pm

They are mandatory in Germany and some othet EU countries. Do you swap tyres or wheels? Just thinking about TPMS.

LimeyUK

Post by LimeyUK » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Many people swap wheels as its easier to Swap them over, but because of TPMS you would get the tyre pressure light for the whole of winter. It may actually be easier to just get winters fitted to current wheels.

Unless you want to fork out for another set of TPMS'd wheels and have them calibrated of course.
Corsa E - Excite A/C with Black Alloys - 1.4 Turbo EcoFlex - Lime Green - 3 dr

mud4fun

Post by mud4fun » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Jarviser wrote:They are mandatory in Germany and some othet EU countries. Do you swap tyres or wheels? Just thinking about TPMS.
The TPMS is the reason I haven't already bought the tyres yet.

I normally have my pickup and Land Rover winter tyres on a second set of cheap steel wheels and it only takes an hour to swap them over myself.

However with the Corsa it will look awful on steel wheels so I was going to buy a second set of alloys to fit the vredestein wintracs to. The problem is I also then need to buy 4 new TPMS senders and have them programmed. So instead of costing me £600 for a set of winter tyres and cheap steels, I'll be looking at £1200 for tyres, alloys and senders. Will be December before I can afford them. Just hope we don't get snow before then!
Dafny - 3dr LE 1.4T in Limelight Green

hendry

Post by hendry » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:22 pm

mud4fun wrote:
Jarviser wrote:They are mandatory in Germany and some othet EU countries. Do you swap tyres or wheels? Just thinking about TPMS.
The TPMS is the reason I haven't already bought the tyres yet.

I normally have my pickup and Land Rover winter tyres on a second set of cheap steel wheels and it only takes an hour to swap them over myself.

However with the Corsa it will look awful on steel wheels so I was going to buy a second set of alloys to fit the vredestein wintracs to. The problem is I also then need to buy 4 new TPMS senders and have them programmed. So instead of costing me £600 for a set of winter tyres and cheap steels, I'll be looking at £1200 for tyres, alloys and senders. Will be December before I can afford them. Just hope we don't get snow before then!
:lol: reminds me of seeing £30-odd grand 4 series BMW Coupes etc which look superb until you see them side on with winter tyres, steel wheels and wheel trims in the winter.

Are you going to get another set of 17s for fitting your winter tyres to or a set of 15s/16s.

On the subject of TPMS, your current wheels on the car obviously have TPMS sensors which are calibrated, so say you buy another set of wheels, have TPMS sensors fitted and then tyres and have the TPMS sensors calibrated, can you then freely swap between them as much as you want without any TPMS warning lights or messages appearing on the dash? Or does the car have to go to a dealers to be put on a computer and told the wheel has been changed to a different one with a different sensor.

The reason I ask is I've got a 16" full size spare alloy from a 2007-2010 SXI Corsa D with 195/55/16 tyre on it all effectively if I get a puncture, blowout etc I don't need to rush to get it sorted as to all intents and purposes, other than the style of the alloy, it will still have 4x 16" alloys on it, and I also won't have to stock below a certain speed limit looks you'd have to with a space saver etc however I'm contemplating getting a TPMS sensor fitted to it so that when it's on the car I won't have the TPMS light on and continually get warning messages, but I'm wondering if I fit that in place of say the existing NSF wheel, in order to get the TPMS warning light off will I need to get the car put on a machine and told it has a different wheel with different TPMS sensor fitted, and when I eventually got the NSF wheel sorted and ready to put back on the car, would I then need to get the car put back on a machine to tell it this wheel was going back on?

I'm aware that if I puit a spare on which doesn't have a TPMS sensor then I'll get the warning light until I refit the wheel which has the sensor and it will automatically go off when that's refitted as the car will be able to tell the wheel with sensor that should be fitted is back on.

However if I can put a spare with a sensor on it on the car in place of any wheel that's currently on the car and the light will automatically go out, I'll do it, however if I need to get it calibrated every time I'll just not bother getting a sensor put on the spare.

Jarviser

Post by Jarviser » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Each sensor has to be learned using the Learning Tool even if you swap them round, so the spare would not be picked up nor the winter wheels without the learning tool.

hendry

Post by hendry » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Jarviser wrote:Each sensor has to be learned using the Learning Tool even if you swap them round, so the spare would not be picked up nor the winter wheels without the learning tool.
So even swapping the front wheels on the car to the back would need calibrating?

Jarviser

Post by Jarviser » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:19 pm

I guess they would display but in the wrong place.(?)

SylvE

Post by SylvE » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 pm

mud4fun wrote:Winter tyres aren't just for ice and snow. They give far better traction and braking performance on tarmac in cold conditions, better grip on wet roads etc. The difference in traction in cold or poor conditions is like night and day when comparing to the naff hard all season or summer compound tyres most cars are fitted with. My siped winter tyres can drive on sheet ice up a steep hill with virtually no slip.

While we don't have much snow in the UK we do get icy conditions for a few months a year, especially at 4am which is when I set off for work. I've swapped to winter tyres on virtually every vehicle I've owned for 30 years. In my opinion they should be mandatory in the UK. The chaos that descends on UK roads every time we get 0.01mm of snow is ridiculous.

Although it seems to get worse the further south you go, possibly because the southern softies have asbolutely no driving skills on ice or snow as they don't experience it as often as Northerners ;-)
Yep! On the Isle of Wight (about as far south as you can get in the UK), everything grinds to a halt when we have snow!
SylvE - 5dr Energy 1.4T in shiny rock. 8-)

Return to “Wanted”