Retrofit Bi-Xenon headlights

For all Corsa-E Modification chat
Jarviser

Re: Retrofit Bi-Xenon headlights

Post by Jarviser » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:53 pm

as far as I know the D had swivelling lights but the E doesn't.

Moog70

Post by Moog70 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:59 am

I'm sorry, but it clearly states that the Bi-xenon lights are cornering in the brochure and on the website? Even if the main AFL feature is no longer present on the Corsa E, by law Xenons require self-levelling sensors/motors and a headlamp wash. It's an MOT failure (as has been pointed out earlier in this thread) if the vehicle doesn't have these fitted in conjunction.

And just as a bit of food for thought......if you put Xenon lamps into a non-Xenon headlamp unit, chances are that the car will fail the MOT as well. You see, Xenon headlamps have different types of reflectors inside the Headlamp unit to the Halogen ones, which will affect the beam throw and can easily dazzle oncoming drivers. They (VOSA ) are really coming down hard on retro-fitting HID kits to non-Xenon headlamps, as are various Police forces up and down the country. Be warned!!
Current - MY17 1.4T Energy 3 Door Persian Blue (with now useless heated steering wheel)
Gone - MY15 1.4i Excite 3 Door Deep Sea Blue (with brilliant heated steering wheel)

Jarviser

Post by Jarviser » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Moog70 wrote:I'm sorry, but it clearly states that the Bi-xenon lights are cornering in the brochure and on the website? Even if the main AFL feature is no longer present on the Corsa E, by law Xenons require self-levelling sensors/motors and a headlamp wash. It's an MOT failure (as has been pointed out earlier in this thread) if the vehicle doesn't have these fitted in conjunction.

And just as a bit of food for thought......if you put Xenon lamps into a non-Xenon headlamp unit, chances are that the car will fail the MOT as well. You see, Xenon headlamps have different types of reflectors inside the Headlamp unit to the Halogen ones, which will affect the beam throw and can easily dazzle oncoming drivers. They (VOSA ) are really coming down hard on retro-fitting HID kits to non-Xenon headlamps, as are various Police forces up and down the country. Be warned!!
Agree completely. and one company selling both legal and illegal aftermarket lighting has a guest section in this very forum.

Does Vauxhall factory fitted bi-xenon (aka HID) have washers and levellers? I thought they got exempted because of the sports springs etc.
But as you say a legal aftermarked HID would be prohibitively expensive.

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Well you should have - something has to tell the ECU which direction to point the lights when cornering!
Cornering lights have nothing to do with AFL or yaw sensors. There is a separate halogen bulb integrated into the headlight unit which lights up at a certain speed when you turn the steering wheel at a certain angle, or when you use the indicator or when reversing.
Again there's no self leveling mechanism and no headlamp washers, probably their output is lower than 2000 lumens in which case they wouldn't be required by law.
The headlight is a projector type unit as should be used with xenons ( rather than a standard reflector which is illegal) Compared to other Hid equipped cars, the corsa do seem to have a lower out put.
I cant see Vauxhall and Opel designing and selling an illegal product and then getting away with it as if nothing happened!
Opel Corsa E Color Edition 1.4i ECOflex 90Ps
Snow White

Moog70

Post by Moog70 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:07 pm

ChrisB wrote:
Well you should have - something has to tell the ECU which direction to point the lights when cornering![/quote
Again there's no self leveling mechanism and no headlamp washers, probably their output is lower than 2000 lumens in which case they wouldn't be required by law.
The headlight is a projector type unit as should be used with xenons ( rather than a standard reflector which is illegal) Compared to other Hid equipped cars, the corsa do seem to have a lower out put.
I cant see Vauxhall and Opel designing and selling an illegal product and then getting away with it as if nothing happened!
http://www.blindedbixenon.co.uk

Please read Paragraph 1 from the above website. I await your response.
Then please refer to Paragraph 2 "in practice" below, taken from DfT legislation. And finally refer to "In Summary", also on same fact sheet. I think that you will find that levelling and cleaning systems are fitted to the Elite (which has Bi-Xenons as standard) BY LAW. When I pick my new one up tomorrow, I will check whilst I am at the dealership, but legislation clearly states that if Bi-Xenons are fitted at the factory, the U.K. Designate models MUST have these 2 items fitted.

DfT Statement

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR
Current - MY17 1.4T Energy 3 Door Persian Blue (with now useless heated steering wheel)
Gone - MY15 1.4i Excite 3 Door Deep Sea Blue (with brilliant heated steering wheel)

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm not sure on what your on about, maybe I wasn't clear.
I have not mentioned aftermarket units but original factory issue headlights. I have original factory issue bi-xenons on my E, they are not self leveling and do not swing left to right as AFL do because they are not AFLs, and there's no lamp washing either. No need to check anything tomorrow, I'm telling you because I have them, and as I already stated, if they are illegal there is no way Vauxhall or Opel would have got their type approval for the Corsa.
Snow White

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 pm

Are you aware if you drive a vehicle with halogen lights your car should have a scroll switch? If you do not know where this switch is you will need to find this and check which setting it is on. If it is on the top setting which is usually zero your lights will be above a reasonable dip level and partially blinding others.
Wrong! On 0 setting the lights are level with the front seats occupied, you select 1,2 or 3 when the load at the rear increases, ie passengers or load in the boot.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/manuals.html

Go to page 115 and you have all you need to know about the Corsa E bi-xenons, no fancy wobbly lenses or sensors, just high and low beam with separate cornering lamps.
Snow White

Craigo

Post by Craigo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 pm

So what if you have a new car which won't be getting a MoT for the next 3 years?

. Just lower the hid bulb spread on the unit with the dial n you're sorted?

Craigo

Post by Craigo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Also you can have Bi Xenon headlamp units, without the cornering functionality like the post above states, my sister has it on her car. You also do not need to have a Hid kit. Its just the HID kit is better and only legal through the use of the projector headlamp with washers.

I want Bi Xenon headlamps too but not going to rush fitting the hid kits aswell.

Jarviser

Post by Jarviser » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Craigo wrote:So what if you have a new car which won't be getting a MoT for the next 3 years? Just lower the hid bulb spread on the unit with the dial n you're sorted?
Getting away with breaking the law for 3 years is what. Not the same as being legal.