My 1.4T remap review.

For all Corsa-E Modification chat
Woody

My 1.4T remap review.

Post by Woody » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi everyone.

I am new here, so be gentle.

I have owned my Corsa E 1.4T for 14 months now, and I think it is a great little car. I live in the rural countryside, and regularly have to overtake tractors, etc. Now my main gripe with the standard 100hp I had, was severe lack of overtaking power. My last car was a 300bhp Saab 9-5 Aero, so overtaking was not an issue.

So two weeks ago, I finally got around to getting my Corsa remapped. I went for the Quantum 170bhp/270nm remap, running on Tesco Momentum fuel. I would go as far to say, the quoted power figures are being conservative. I was not expecting too much from the result. How wrong was I. It has totally transformed this innocent little car, into a flying machine. It has far exceeded my expectations. Torque is limited in 1st and 2nd, but it still torque steers like mad if provoked, and third gear onwards it pulls like a train.

Anyone thinking on getting theirs remapped, I would say it's a no brainer and go for it, as long as it does not affect your insurance too much. I am old, so it only cost me an extra 40 quid, hehe. It has completely transformed my car into a little pocket rocket. :twisted:

Rickardo

Re: My 1.4T remap review.

Post by Rickardo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:47 am

Did you up rate the discs/pads to cope with the increase in power

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Agreed, a remap is the best £ for £ modification you can do on the 1.4 Turbos.

I had mine done at SGR in Manchester over a year ago now and their Dyno read 179bhp and 203lbft on an otherwise standard car also running Tesco Momentum 99 fuel. Given some of the things I can keep pace with on the road, I would say that figure is fairly accurate.
I also have an app that records 0-60 times using GPS and my best run on that was 7s to 60 which is impressive.

For what it is it's a cracking little car. The handling isn't the best but it has enough poke with a remap to clip at the heels of some of the junior hot hatches. If anyone is thinking about doing it just do it already!
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 pm

The front brakes are running standard disks, with Brembo HP2000 pads. They are superb from cold, and offer great resistance to fade. Rear disks are standard with new pads. The car stops great. Maybe just a little too sharp for my liking. Safe overtaking is the reason for the remap. My boy racing days are well and truly over. ;)

I also have an Eibach B12 Pro-Kit sitting in the garage, awaiting fitment when time allows. That will hopefully sort out the crap handling on twisty B roads.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 am

Hi.
If anyone ever has any issues with insurance for re-maps or any other modification then please feel free to drop me a line. I would be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.

baloki

Post by baloki » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:44 am

Mines the 150 version out of the box, is it worth a remap for the extra 29bhp?

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:34 pm

baloki wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:44 am
Mines the 150 version out of the box, is it worth a remap for the extra 29bhp?

Hi.

I would say that the more important figure to be looking at here is the 50Nm+ gain in torque you would gain from a remap. That will definitely be noticeable, and improve the driveability, acceleration and quite possibly MPG, depending on your resistance to the smiles per mile that will inevitably come with a remap :mrgreen:

Beaney

Post by Beaney » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:21 pm

Guys,

Interesting thread here about remapping a 1.4 Turbo. First of all, though, I have to take 'Woody' to task with his assertion that the standard car has a 'serious lack of overtaking ability'! Really? I have run a standard turbo for just over a year now and find that overtaking is certainly not a problem!
I would, however, agree that as the standard car runs on the 'economy' map it does feel constrained/restrained at the higher revs.
I am interested in a Superchips remap which would give me 150BHP-and an increase in torque from 147ft/lb to around 192 ft/lb. Now that does sound useful!

Some queries! If I do remap-would the transmission be able to handle it? The Turbo has discs all round. Would I need to put 'better' pads in eg: Brembo? ( though I think I know the answer!). The standard 'comfort' suspension is pretty mediocre-any suggestions?

I am what you would call a 'mature' driver and certainly ( like Woody?) am not a 'born again' boy racer! But I enjoy motoring -mostly rural-and feel that from other threads here that a remap could well bring my Corsa really alive and responsive!
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to “Modifications”