Perfomance Tuning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Michael912000

Perfomance Tuning

Post by Michael912000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm

I want to pose a question. Does perfomance tuning help to increase fuel effency and thus reduce your emmissions? :?:

I am thinking of having my N/A 1.4 90ps le remaped at som point in the future and that is why i am wondering if the remap will reduce the emmiasions.

I have always be a sicence nerd so susspect there is truth in the theroy. But i dont know for sure

KingCraigx

Re: Perfomance Tuning

Post by KingCraigx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Michael912000 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm
I want to pose a question. Does perfomance tuning help to increase fuel effency and thus reduce your emmissions? :?:

I am thinking of having my N/A 1.4 90ps le remaped at som point in the future and that is why i am wondering if the remap will reduce the emmiasions.

I have always be a sicence nerd so susspect there is truth in the theroy. But i dont know for sure
Wouldn't really be worth it in an N/A engine as the Price/ Performance isnt really that good. However over on the Corsa E Owners Club page on FB, there are a few guys who have had their 1.4 N/A 90ps mapped and they got around 5-10bhp increase.

Since the 1.4 N/A is terrible on fuel, im not sure if getting it mapped would increase or decrease the MPG.
White Corsa 1.4 N/A LE w/ Sports Pack/ Ramair Intake/ Cobra Sports Exhaust

Michael912000

Post by Michael912000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:57 pm

My thinking behind it is not so much the power gains but more the smother and more efficient way the engine will run.

For example. With a remap you get improved accellaration overall the engine would burn less fuel so inturn would produce less gasses to be expelled producing less emmissions and an improved fuel efficency.

As for the what i have seen from one tuning co have managed to get a 1.4 NA up to 110 BHP. By adding a stage one tune. I would guess that would include a stage one induction kit and i beleive they even reset the ignition timing as it was too far advaced from the factory.
Last edited by Michael912000 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm

In theory a good remap will make your engine run more efficiently. However real world you probably won't see any huge gains in terms of better MPG or reduced emissions.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time having a naturally aspirated engine remapped. OK you don't get much in terms of a bhp increase but what is improved that is often overlooked is how the car pulls through the rev range and the throttle response. Generally it feels a bit more eager to pick up and is smoother under acceleration. Will it be faster than a non-remapped car? Probably not by as much as you'd like. But for improving the drive it's well worth doing.

I would add though that if you plan to go for an exhaust system or air filter in the future do that BEFORE the remap in order to get the best out of the engine.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

Michael912000

Post by Michael912000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Thank you. Beleive it or not i am not looking for a lot more power. I prefer the acelleration factor it gives me. As you have it has smother acelleration and will feel how it should.

I previously had a 2006 astra sxi with 115hp and that was fun enough for me. I am used to driving clasic minis so power isnt always good.

I was thinking i might go for an air filter/induction kit first, wheather a stteight through exhaust would be better i don know. But its aomthing to think about

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I'd stay away from open cone filters and keep the standard airbox with maybe a modified cold air scoop or something. Exhaust wise probably not going to make a huge difference but a cat back with say a 2-2.5inch bore should help free it up a little as well.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

ChrisHyam

Post by ChrisHyam » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Did you have any update on your mpg mate since it seems to have been a while now since your remap mate? Looking at getting mine done for my VX Line cdti and although its a diesel and yours is a petrol I was also curious about reliability now you've had it done? 😁 👍🏻

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 pm

According to celtic tuning the 1.3 CDTi 73bhp (75ps) engine remaps to about 110-115bhp and 184lb-ft torque. Same for the 93bhp (95ps). Guessing they must be mechanically identical engines, just one is restricted a bit more than the other from the factory.

Worth doing just for the torque gain in fairness, your gaining around 40 lb-ft torque which will be quite noticeable.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”