ECU update on 1.0T engine

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Smoking

ECU update on 1.0T engine

Post by Smoking » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:44 am

I have the 85kw version of the Corsa E. From the start I had the same issues a lot of posters had with respect to the pre ignition problems. My car was recalled to have the software change done, and I recently took it in to be done at the same time as a service. I asked the dealership to give me the details of the upgrade as I could not understand how they could change an uncontrolled totally random event with software. GM denied my request. Does anybody know exactly how the software was changed, especially as far as injection and spark timing goes, and what effect that has on performance?

Since my software change my car feels rougher, noisier and quite lethargic. Also, I had two insances of engine smoke from the exhaust under acceleration, coinciding with especially rough engine running.

mattb_srivx

Re: ECU update on 1.0T engine

Post by mattb_srivx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm

You mention you had a service at the same time, have you checked to see if the oil level is correct? It's not uncommon for them to overfill these as they don't take as much as normal cars. My 1.4T was quite a bit over when I had it serviced, luckily I noticed after a week so took it back and they drained it out to the correct level.

Software wise it's possible they have revised the map the engine runs on. My guess would be they've retarded the ignition timing slightly to try and prevent the pinking issue. The question would be is your car still pinking or has that now stopped? If it's still doing it then it could be something underlying that's causing it. It's not always the map on the ECU it can be a hardware fault such as crap spark plugs or dodgy injectors. But yes to your question it can have an impact on performance.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

Smoking

Post by Smoking » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Thank you, I will check the oil level and report. Fact is, this is one of the engines that have the pre ignition issue that may lead to the cracked piston issue that is well reported. Just after I bought the car it gave me a huge fright when one day the engine started running roughly very violently, to the extent that I thought something was going to break. It kept doing that completely randomly, and later I noticed that smoking accompanied those occurences.Of course I could not demonstrate it to a GM representative due to it being completely random. Not surprisingly they said there was nothing wrong. In time that roughness turned into proper metallic pinking. Then, in October last year I was told by the dealership service manager that a software upgrade has become available because some of the first engines of the type cracked piston no 3. I was still not told what caused it, until I received the recall letter stating that these engines suffer of Stochastic Pre Ignition, they also called it LSPI. I researched it, and found that direct injection petrol engines suffer this issue, due to the fuel dissolves oil from the cylinders, forming little droplets that ignites before the spark fires. Thats it in a nutshell. So, you are correct in that it is an underlying issuethat they are trying to fix, something I do not think they can because it is uncontrolled in the first place. Hence my interest in what the ECU software change actually does. One of the posters on this forum actually mentioned thathis car after the change is "not so nippy" any more. Same with me, except that I had two more occurences of smoking coinciding with some rough running under acceleration. Seeing that many people here also posted about the same thingI am hoping to get some explantions or how their issues was solved or not. Thanks guys and gals.Please accept apologies for incorrect spelling, typing this on a tablet is not so easy.

FirestoneDK

Post by FirestoneDK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm

I have the 90 horsepower 1 liter turbo, and after the update it feels like it's accelerating much smoother than it did before update. I've only had one incidence of smoking, and that was when the engine was running on factory oil. I changed it to Castrol oil, and no problem since. My local dealer uses Q8 oils, and no problems with that either. I'm now running on Shell oil, and the engine is cool with this oil too.

Smoking

Post by Smoking » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:13 am

Ok, so the oil level is fine, and the oil usedis Castrol Magnatec 5w30, as per spec. It is a Dexos oil as required. Please keep in mind that this issue is not a problem on the 1.4, as those engines are not direct injection. The problem is only on direct injection engines.

My question is this: Does anyone who had the software fix done on 1.0T engines experience the following:

1. Car not as powerful as before
2. Occasional smoking
3.Any symptoms like rough running, pre ignition and smoke coinciding with any such event

And, have any sulutions been found to cure such events, to anyone's knowledge.

Thanks guys

HCCI

Post by HCCI » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Hello,
My Corsa E, sometimes misfires or stumbles for one second or two then it goes on like nothing had happened.
In a tentative of avoiding it the best i can, i have replaced my spark Plugs with the new reference ones, put some Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5w30 dexos 2 oil with a flash point of 238 ºC (made from natural gas) and keep on buying 98 octane grade fuel. With already 38000 km on the clock the engine is running very softly now and misfiring is very rare.
From what i could found in the net, a few problems with pre-ignition were caused by condensation and moisture in the intercooler of many Ford F150 Ecoboost engines in the State Of A, and i think the Corsa E could have the same issue. For exemple, my father has got a 1.0 TSI Seat Ibiza equipped with a water/air cooler and hasn´t got a single issue with knock. Water/air intercoolers do not favour condensation but air/air intercoolers do.
My Corsa had no ECU update so far and i think it won´t need.
Fuel and oil consumptions are low (most oil consumption is from compressor side of turbo and not the engine itself) and so far so good and i hope for the best.
Honda Jazz (MY02): Image
Corsa 1.0 DISI 90HP : Image

FirestoneDK

Post by FirestoneDK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

HCCI wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 pm
Hello,
My Corsa E, sometimes misfires or stumbles for one second or two then it goes on like nothing had happened.
In a tentative of avoiding it the best i can, i have replaced my spark Plugs with the new reference ones, put some Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5w30 dexos 2 oil with a flash point of 238 ºC (made from natural gas) and keep on buying 98 octane grade fuel. With already 38000 km on the clock the engine is running very softly now and misfiring is very rare.
From what i could found in the net, a few problems with pre-ignition were caused by condensation and moisture in the intercooler of many Ford F150 Ecoboost engines in the State Of A, and i think the Corsa E could have the same issue. For exemple, my father has got a 1.0 TSI Seat Ibiza equipped with a water/air cooler and hasn´t got a single issue with knock. Water/air intercoolers do not favour condensation but air/air intercoolers do.
My Corsa had no ECU update so far and i think it won´t need.
Fuel and oil consumptions are low (most oil consumption is from compressor side of turbo and not the engine itself) and so far so good and i hope for the best.
Hey HCCI.
Engineers researching in oils have found that oil compositions has alot to do with lspi, especially a high calcium level in the oil is an accelerator to lspi. Therefore GM have changed the oilspec for our little boosted engines. The new spec is called Dexos 1 Gen 2, and is made to prevent lspi. So far the only oil on the market with this oilspec is the genuine one from GM.

HCCI

Post by HCCI » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello.

Sorry for answering so lately, but i have been riding my new bike and i can´t have enough riding it.
What you wrote about Dexos1 gen 2 i already knew about but still can´t find any brand with that norm here in my contry .
It is good to know that such product will become available very soon and i wil give it a try.
Calcium is good for diesel engines with their rich combustion type making lots of nasty byproducts but petrol or gasoline burns cleaner so the amount of calcium for these can e should be low to prevent lpsi according to GM.
Have You already seen any brand of oil with DEXOS1 gen 2 on the label ?
My Corsa has been running amazingly well lately, no misfires or anything else.
Fuel consumption is still low and the amount of soot in the pipe is almost none existent, which suprised me.

HCCI

Post by HCCI » Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 am

Like I have written earlier, my exhaust pipe is rather clean and so I have decided to take pictures of it to show You.
I haven´t cleaned them but the temperature was a bit low which might explain why the exhaust pipe is clean.

Enjoy!

20180421_132754.jpg

20180423_230049.jpg

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”