Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

Engine Ticking/Rattle

85K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  dofavo2633 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a 1.4 Corsa LE 65 plate. Since I've had the car the engine makes quite a loud ticking noise when idling... It's been taken back to Vauxhall dealership twice and they say there is no problem and one of the engineers said he could not hear anything at all. It sounds like I'm sitting in a diesel car!! It's just had it's first service since I got the car and decided to try some Hydraulic valve lifter in with the new oil to see if that would help....nothing. Does anybody else have this annoying problem? And what can I do to fix it? Thanks

#27 ·
I have a 2016 corsa 1.0t ecoflex le and it has a ticking noise on idle I've not done a hole load of research but a lot of it says it is normal for the 3 pots to have a ticking noise due to it being unbalanced but it's still a bit worrying please let me know if you get it fixed and what you did

#28 ·
Jamescorsa16 said:
I have a 2016 corsa 1.0t ecoflex le and it has a ticking noise on idle I've not done a hole load of research but a lot of it says it is normal for the 3 pots to have a ticking noise due to it being unbalanced but it's still a bit worrying please let me know if you get it fixed and what you did
The 1.0t has balancer shafts which is way it's so smooth...a light ticking on idle could just be the injectors..

Ours has a rattle/loud tap which starts just after the car is started after being left for an hour or so and is worst in warm weather..not the engine though,seems its in the transmission somewhere,only on idle so haven't decided what to do with it next..

#32 ·
Ok, so I've read what the other users reffer to as "ticking/rattle" but I'm posting this video just to make sure we are on the same page :)

Problem Description: On a 2018 Corsa's petrol 1,4L 90ps engine, a diesel like sound that can be described as ticking or rattle or knocking occurs as soon as normal operating temperature is reached. The ticking sound is audible on idle and while accelelerating, until al least 3000rpm where said sound either dissapears or is drowned by the engine's rev noise. When coasting on the road without pressing the throttle, this ticking sound completely dissapears.

The Corsa was serviced a month ago and oil is still blonde and at proper levels.

[media][/media]

I do not know whether the link https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/corsa-d/j__engine_and_engine_aggregates/fuel_injection_systems/gmpt-e83/technical_service_bulletins/noise_vibration_rattle/engine_a12/14xel/r_ticking_noise_from_engine_compartment/ posted previously by a user covers my case as well, but I've called the dealer to arrange a diagnosis next Wednesday. Hope they don't tell me is mormal because the sound is really annoying, and wasn't there before. I'll let you guys know!

#34 ·
It itensifies a little bit when accelerating or even just when sitting in neutral and pressing on the accelerator. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal, it stops, until you stop moving and you sit in idle. Then it starts again. I'm guessing it's something stupid but I can't put a finger on it just yet.

#35 ·
Just an update.

I took the car to the official dealership's service center, but they wouldn't let me talk directly to the technician who would take a look at the car. So I described the problem to a proxy "technical consultant" who later told me that it was a loose connector which was oscillating with the engine's revs and causing the sound.
Of course my disbelief towards the official dealership's ability to tackle any problems aside the expected service intervals was confirmed. I drove the car with a cold engine from the dealership and after 5 minutes of warming up, the ticking sound reappeared.

At least they didn't charge me anything.

I'm going to consult an independent technician on this one, as soon as I have the time :evil:

#36 ·
Update 2:

So I took the Corsa to an independent technician who told me that's probably the throttle it self which is oscillating and causing that sound and since the car is still under warranty, I should go back to the dealership and make a claim. No money spent there...

A week later (that's yesterday), I took the car to the dealership for a second time and took a ride with the "technical consultant". He listened to the sound, opened the hood and determined that it is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR). But since no warning lights have appeared yet, no warranty claim can be made... :shock: :geek: :ugeek:

So, I'm left with the ticking sound.
[media][/media]

#37 ·
Just a correction because I was lost in translation :lol:

Alexellas said:
Update 2:

So I took the Corsa to an independent technician who told me that's probably the throttle it self which is oscillating and causing that sound and since the car is still under warranty, I should go back to the dealership and make a claim. No money spent there...

A week later (that's yesterday), I took the car to the dealership for a second time and took a ride with the "technical consultant". He listened to the sound, opened the hood and determined that it is the BOSCH FUEL BLOW VALVE or also known as Purge valve. But since no warning lights have appeared yet, no warranty claim can be made... :shock: :geek: :ugeek:

So, I'm left with the ticking sound.
[media][/media]
This item is sold on Amazon for 21€ https://cutt.ly/bknW7i4 or Amazon UK for £27.60 https://cutt.ly/UknEtpw

#38 ·
Hi,
I have been having this noise on my 28,000 mile 17 plate 1.4 Corsa for a while now. There was no affect on performance.
Eventually I checked the usual culprits, tappet noises and cam chain noise etc.
I then use a stethoscope on the purge valve as described and I could hear it clicking loudly away.
I bought a genuine Opel item of Ebay for £21 and fitted it this morning.
Noise gone.
Very pleased.

#40 ·
mi68guel said:
https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/corsa-d/j__engine_and_engine_aggregates/fuel_injection_systems/gmpt-e83/technical_service_bulletins/noise_vibration_rattle/engine_a12/14xel/r_ticking_noise_from_engine_compartment/

Remedy:
In case of customer complaint install the following modified parts:

- Clip fuel evaporation hose to the bulkhead
(part-no.: 13352052/catalogue-no.: 8 24 024)

- Bracket of the fuel tank evaporation valve against the new version
with cut-out (part-no.: 55579903/catalogue-no.: 8 25 036)

Working Procedure:

1. Remove tank vent valve

- see working procedure "Replace tank vent valve
(not Z16LEL, Z16LER, A16LEL, A16LER ",
group "L Fuel and Exhaust System/Fuel System/
Tank Ventilation Valve", Service Instruction Corsa-D
(Document Number 01601230)

2. Replace tank vent valve bracket (Picture I, 1)

Note:
At the tank vent valve bracket is a cut-out (arrow) present.
corsa-d-2959.jpg

Object Number: 27737362 Size: DEFAULT

3. Install tank vent valve

- see working procedure "Replace tank vent valve
(not Z16LEL, Z16LER, A16LEL, A16LER ",
group "L Fuel and Exhaust System/Fuel System/
Tank Ventilation Valve", Service Instruction Corsa-D
(Document Number 01601230)

4. Replace tank vent hose clip at bulkhead (Picture II, arrow)
corsa-d-2958.jpg

Object Number: 27737363 Size: DEFAULT

Spare-Parts: Part-No.: Catalogue-No.:

Tank vent valve bracket 55579903 8 25 036
Tank vent hose clip 13352052 8 24 024

Labour Times: TC: Hours:

U3 279 50 Tank Vent Valve Bracket 90 0.4
and Tank Vent Hose Clip
Replacement

The costs for this repair will be covered during warranty and policy.
For policy please refer to the Policy Guideline (WebPG/Kuugel).
The regular Warranty Procedure will apply.

FunctionalGroup: J - Engine
Complaint Group: 14 - Noises or Vibrations
Trouble Code: None
Did anyone manage to try this and fix the problem?

Anyone got a video guide?

Anyone taken it to a Vx garage and can tell me roughly how much it cost to have it done?

TIA

#46 ·
autoseo said:
pericardium said:
For anyone looking at buying another breather valve, don't make the same mistake as me and buy the wrong one!
So did you change it yourself or took a car to a Vx garage?
I changed it myself.

gronji2004 said:
I am having the same problem, I am eagerly waiting to hear regarding the breater valve.

Is it something you can change yourself (the valve itself looks easy to change) but does it need tuning or anytihng with a computer once installed?
Yes, easy enough to change yourself. I struggled a lot to get the pipe off the end of the valve and actually ended up breaking the clip that keeps the pipe on the valve. It's a very stiff pipe though and doesn't seem to budge very easily even though the clip is broken, so I've just left it as is.

The part number is '020 142 487'. Originally I bought one from eBay which was advertised as 'Bosch' but was unlabelled, and this part still made the ticking noise. I went to my local GSF car parts shop and they ordered a genuine Bosch part in for me next-day for roughly £35+VAT. Vauxhall charge a pretty penny more for this.

Since changing this, there is no more ticking noise for me! Woohoo!

#47 ·
Glad to hear your problem is solved.

Sadly I have just replaced mine with a genuine Bosch valve and the ticking is still there (when I feel the valve it does feel like it is vibrating a lot). This to me is very bizzare as surely now I replaced the valve it would have fixed the problem?

Could the power supply to the valve be an issue or something? Im really stumped!

Could this lead to something else causing the issue?

Had the timing chain done for free on warranty and that didn't make any change either.

Getting really fed up now ....

#48 ·
Recently had the timing chain replaced in my Corsa E 1.0T LE 115bhp, 2015. It went into limp as i had run the oil level too low and my guess is the chain had slipped a tooth, or not quite a whole one, as the car starts and idles fine, on up rev, no issues apart from loss of power but on deceleration quite prominent ticking or rattle from the engine. also it seems to be knocking when i ppull away now which it wasnt before... Bearing in mind it has just had the new timing chain kit fitted, engine flush, new sump gaskets, oil, oil filter. in fact, it seems worse now than before i put it in the garage... any ideas? im hoping its not the VVT or balance rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.