Engine Ticking/Rattle

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
devon556

Re: Engine Ticking/Rattle

Post by devon556 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm

The ticking noise is most likely the VVT valve, it is noisy on start up, until the engine gets to O.T, it basically opens and closes multiple times a second, it's perfectly normal for a Corsa E
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

Alexellas

Post by Alexellas » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:23 am

Ok, so I've read what the other users reffer to as "ticking/rattle" but I'm posting this video just to make sure we are on the same page :)

Problem Description: On a 2018 Corsa's petrol 1,4L 90ps engine, a diesel like sound that can be described as ticking or rattle or knocking occurs as soon as normal operating temperature is reached. The ticking sound is audible on idle and while accelelerating, until al least 3000rpm where said sound either dissapears or is drowned by the engine's rev noise. When coasting on the road without pressing the throttle, this ticking sound completely dissapears.

The Corsa was serviced a month ago and oil is still blonde and at proper levels.

I do not know whether the link https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/c ... mpartment/ posted previously by a user covers my case as well, but I've called the dealer to arrange a diagnosis next Wednesday. Hope they don't tell me is mormal because the sound is really annoying, and wasn't there before. I'll let you guys know!
Opel Corsa Attraction 2018 - 1.4 90hp petrol

Marksparks

Post by Marksparks » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:22 pm

definitely doesn't sound like our 1.4 90ps Griffin petrol, does it get worse with acceleration. Almost sounds like a fan or something catching, doesn't sound metallic on the video clip?

Alexellas

Post by Alexellas » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:05 am

It itensifies a little bit when accelerating or even just when sitting in neutral and pressing on the accelerator. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal, it stops, until you stop moving and you sit in idle. Then it starts again. I'm guessing it's something stupid but I can't put a finger on it just yet.

Alexellas

Post by Alexellas » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:08 am

Just an update.

I took the car to the official dealership's service center, but they wouldn't let me talk directly to the technician who would take a look at the car. So I described the problem to a proxy "technical consultant" who later told me that it was a loose connector which was oscillating with the engine's revs and causing the sound.
Of course my disbelief towards the official dealership's ability to tackle any problems aside the expected service intervals was confirmed. I drove the car with a cold engine from the dealership and after 5 minutes of warming up, the ticking sound reappeared.

At least they didn't charge me anything.

I'm going to consult an independent technician on this one, as soon as I have the time :evil:

Alexellas

Post by Alexellas » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Update 2:

So I took the Corsa to an independent technician who told me that's probably the throttle it self which is oscillating and causing that sound and since the car is still under warranty, I should go back to the dealership and make a claim. No money spent there...

A week later (that's yesterday), I took the car to the dealership for a second time and took a ride with the "technical consultant". He listened to the sound, opened the hood and determined that it is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR). But since no warning lights have appeared yet, no warranty claim can be made... :shock: :geek: :ugeek:

So, I'm left with the ticking sound.

Alexellas

Post by Alexellas » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:49 am

Just a correction because I was lost in translation :lol:
Alexellas wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:03 pm
Update 2:

So I took the Corsa to an independent technician who told me that's probably the throttle it self which is oscillating and causing that sound and since the car is still under warranty, I should go back to the dealership and make a claim. No money spent there...

A week later (that's yesterday), I took the car to the dealership for a second time and took a ride with the "technical consultant". He listened to the sound, opened the hood and determined that it is the BOSCH FUEL BLOW VALVE or also known as Purge valve. But since no warning lights have appeared yet, no warranty claim can be made... :shock: :geek: :ugeek:

So, I'm left with the ticking sound.
This item is sold on Amazon for 21€ https://cutt.ly/bknW7i4 or Amazon UK for £27.60 https://cutt.ly/UknEtpw

paul6car

Post by paul6car » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi,
I have been having this noise on my 28,000 mile 17 plate 1.4 Corsa for a while now. There was no affect on performance.
Eventually I checked the usual culprits, tappet noises and cam chain noise etc.
I then use a stethoscope on the purge valve as described and I could hear it clicking loudly away.
I bought a genuine Opel item of Ebay for £21 and fitted it this morning.
Noise gone.
Very pleased.

pericardium

Post by pericardium » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:35 am

Same problem here, ticking that comes on when engine is up to temperature. Find that it goes after about 3000rpm or if travelling at speed. Very frustrating ticking noise but I’m hoping the solutions mentioned above will fix the problem for me. I’ll have a listen and find out!

pericardium

Post by pericardium » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:53 am

mi68guel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:02 pm
https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/c ... mpartment/

Remedy:
In case of customer complaint install the following modified parts:

- Clip fuel evaporation hose to the bulkhead
(part-no.: 13352052/catalogue-no.: 8 24 024)

- Bracket of the fuel tank evaporation valve against the new version
with cut-out (part-no.: 55579903/catalogue-no.: 8 25 036)

Working Procedure:

1. Remove tank vent valve

- see working procedure "Replace tank vent valve
(not Z16LEL, Z16LER, A16LEL, A16LER ",
group "L Fuel and Exhaust System/Fuel System/
Tank Ventilation Valve", Service Instruction Corsa-D
(Document Number 01601230)

2. Replace tank vent valve bracket (Picture I, 1)

Note:
At the tank vent valve bracket is a cut-out (arrow) present.
corsa-d-2959.jpg

Object Number: 27737362 Size: DEFAULT

3. Install tank vent valve

- see working procedure "Replace tank vent valve
(not Z16LEL, Z16LER, A16LEL, A16LER ",
group "L Fuel and Exhaust System/Fuel System/
Tank Ventilation Valve", Service Instruction Corsa-D
(Document Number 01601230)

4. Replace tank vent hose clip at bulkhead (Picture II, arrow)
corsa-d-2958.jpg

Object Number: 27737363 Size: DEFAULT

Spare-Parts: Part-No.: Catalogue-No.:

Tank vent valve bracket 55579903 8 25 036
Tank vent hose clip 13352052 8 24 024

Labour Times: TC: Hours:

U3 279 50 Tank Vent Valve Bracket 90 0.4
and Tank Vent Hose Clip
Replacement

The costs for this repair will be covered during warranty and policy.
For policy please refer to the Policy Guideline (WebPG/Kuugel).
The regular Warranty Procedure will apply.

FunctionalGroup: J - Engine
Complaint Group: 14 - Noises or Vibrations
Trouble Code: None
Did anyone manage to try this and fix the problem?

Anyone got a video guide?

Anyone taken it to a Vx garage and can tell me roughly how much it cost to have it done?

TIA