Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

Engine juddering

66K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  devon556 
#1 ·
Hi

Driving home tonight I set off from a stop and on accelerating the engine starting juddering, after a couple of miles the EML started flashing for 10 seconds and went off and the ESC light came on but didn't go off along with a message saying 'service ESC'. Stopped at Tesco and on restarting the car all warning lights had gone but it was still driving really badly and wouldn't accelerate past 35mph (do petrols have limp home mode, no messages saying as such)

Obviously I am going to go to Vauxhall in the morning (only a mile away) and ask them to sort it. Just wondering if any of you have any ideas what it might be? I am a bit worried as it's an Evans Halshaw garage and I've heard nothing but horror stories.

It's a 16 plate 1.4 N/A petrol with 45k miles(last service in December, 5k miles ago) . It's been serviced to the schedule at the main dealer.

Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks. That's reassuring, thought I was going to have a car bill just before payday. Hoping the garage is good, It hasn't had to go in for warranty work yet, which at 2 years old and 45k miles I suppose is pretty good going.

#6 ·
Took it to the garage this morning, it was the coil pack, now sorted and feels like a new car, much smoother acceleration and a near silent idle, must have been on it's way out for a while.

Have to say am impressed with Evans Halshaw York, took it at 9am, they're fully booked but will try and fit it in, get the call to say it's ready at 11am. They've also tightened the handbrake while they were there (didn't ask them to or even mention it). They get a lot of bad review and I was concerned they woudn't be much good, but from my experience today cannot fault them.

#7 ·
More generally I have to wonder why a coil pack change is so common in Corsas. Are the coil packs known to be faulty or does the car work them too hard....or is it just something that happens to them whatever the make of car they are fitted to. I don't ever remember having troubles with Lucas coils, distributors and contact points in the day!!

#10 ·
What mileage is your car on, you say last serviced 5k miles ago.

Just seeing if theres any comparable trend with Klesmy's vehicle, I have a 1.4NA but Auto, but it's only done 5.5K miles since 2016, so just seeing if I can work out if mines about to go or not.

#11 ·
Just to chime in for anyone searching in the future, just had the same issue on my 65 plate 1.4 N/A.

VX replaced coil pack and spark plugs, under warranty (expires in Nov), 28k miles on the car. Usually these would be done in the 3rd service, get the feeling that maybe VX should move them to 2nd service...

#12 ·
I assume your talking about plugs on 3rd service. A coil pack should last longer. I have checked I Wilson's in Scunthorpe didn't do my plugs at 3rd service.

Not returning there in the future anyway but will be getting them changed on next service.

#14 ·
ooo wow this sounds EXACTLY like the issue I am having!!!

The confusing thing is this has only happened a day after I did an oil change. I also am just over 30K miles, which similar to what you guys had too. How do I know for sure it's coil pack??

#16 ·
I'm having exactly the same issue on my 66 plate now, so it seems to be similar to everyone else's in terms of age. Mileage wise it is also around 5k miles since it's last service, and is between its 2nd and 3rd. Very glad to hear that this comes under warranty though!!

#21 ·
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with my 65 corsa LE 1.4, but just with the engine juddering, sometimes heavy but there hasn't been a service light come on yet, although it's probably only a matter of time.

Could I go to the dealership now with a limited warranty and complain about the juddering, and get the spark plugs/ coil pack? Or should I wait for the service light to come on? The warranty expires in November.

#24 ·
I have a similar problem with my 2015 SE auto, but only seems to happen after she's been stuck in heavy traffic and at speeds between 0 and 1/2mph. The car just violently judders as if its going to stall, but doesn't, The second you either stop the car or accelerate hard, it goes away.

Not sure if this is the coil pack, or someone else mentioned a fuel flow issue caused by the ECU? I bought it almost a year ago with just under 10k miles and have done around 16k miles since I bought it. It's going into the dealership in two weeks so hopefully they can find the fault, but I'm expecting they'll just plug the diagnostics tool in, find no fault code and say its fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.